Gluten free cruise???

RedSox5

Anyone ever hear of a gluten-free cruise? I haven't, but boy would I love it! It would be a dream come true for anyone that can't have gluten :D One week out of the year where all available food is gluten-free... oh to be "normal" again and not have to do research just to have a meal :p

Most, if not all, cruiselines offer gluten-free diets on all of their sailings...just contact the special needs dept. before you sail...plenty of folks with Celiacs disease cruise all the time!

I know they do, and it's great... but I'm talking a cruise where the only food on the ship is gluten-free. A cruise where people that can't have gluten don't have to be the "odd balls" and require specialized meals, etc. A cruise where people that can't have gluten can just go to the buffet and get what looks good to them without researching which options are "safe." A cruise where people that can't have gluten can have 7 days without having to even think for 5 seconds about what they're putting in their mouth! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There is a vegetarian/vegan cruise offered every year. They may offer gluten free as well but I'm not sure. I saw info listed on the Taste of Health site.

Cheers!

Edited by Maustang
wrong info

• 2 months later...
I'm with you Redsox. The gluten free options sound good on paper, but are hardly ever easy (or fully understood by ship staff) in practice.

With all due respect, I must strongly disagree with your statement.

We sailed for a Carnival Christmas-New Years cruise aboard Valor. We communicated the need for GF options with Carnival a couple of months in advance, and were assured it would all be fine.

As soon as we boarded, we met the Maitre D' at our dining room and reiterated the GF need. MD brought over the DR Manager. She explained that the evening meal would gave GF options for our DD. Every night, she'd bring the next night's menu for DD to make her selections. Even our table waiters were dialed in, as they asked the first night, if there was anything else GF that DD needed. She got fresh baked Rice flour bread ever dinner.

Carnival may not have gone out of there way to accommodate us, but we felt that they crewed and staffed the ship just for us.

Although Mom and I have cruised several times, on Carnival, RCI, and NCI this was her first. And the service Carnival provided cemented Carnival as the GO TO Cruise line for us.

We've found that early and often communication, with allowing as much flexibility as we could makes the situation easier to arrange.

Carnival....and loving it!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sure an all gulten free cruise would be ideal. My Brother in law and sister in law's family eat gulten free and the rave about how great Disney Cruise Line accomidates them. After their first one they booked 2 more because they felt they had so many choices and were very satisfied.

• 2 months later...

I went on a great cruise with NCL. They now stock items on board. You don't have to pre - order and I on the EPIC I ate most of my meals at the BUFFET believe it or not. The Maite' D there looked for me and my husband (because he loved to see what the buffet had to offer and I just tagged along initially).

We got GF cookies and muffins. Pizza was made for me and bagels were toasted for me in the morning! Pasta dishes and all the potato products were GF. Royal Caribbean doesn't do that! (they carry hamburger buns and ice cream cones too... but I did not get around to it... too many options!)

Good luck Gluten Free-er's -- I look forward to seeing more posts :D

• 4 weeks later...

I sailed on NCL and had a gluten free meal every meal, every day. Just ask your waitstaff. They were most accomodating. I had delicious gf toast for breakfast every morning with my eggs. Yum. And they had a delicious gf flourless chocolate cake to die for. I ate 7 pieces of it over the cruise. Just ask for it. Also I requested Soy Milk for breakfast and got that too. It was heaven.

• 9 months later...

Here's a great option! I'm a celiac, so I'm really careful about cross-contamination, so I haven't travelled much since my diagnosis, but I've got some great colleagues who have just chartered a river cruise boat to run a gluten-free food and wine cruise on the Danube in Europe in 2013. They're running with a completely de-contaminated kitchen, and a Gluten Free RN, and Jules Gluten Free to direct the baking. It should be a wonderful, worry-free vacation on the rivers of europe...check it out at http://www.glutenfreecruises.com

• 1 month later...

Recently I cruised on MSC Fantasia and was very well catered. I can highly recommend them. I was so happy that I couldnt resist booking them again for June 2013;o). Coeliacs had a dedicated food & bar menu.I even had a dedicated waiter and resturant for my meals. There were few small things like they could serve gluten free pizzas(since its an italian cruise), can add more options to the menu (there menu was repetitive,which got boring in the end) and have some gluten free options for tea (they had same packaged tart everyday). But these are small things, overall I had an amazing and safe time.

• 1 month later...

We had a wonderful experience with RCL on gluten free. Both of my kids are, along with being Asperger's. We also filled out the special needs form. Each night we had the matri'd stop by to check on the food. At the end of the meal we ordered the next night's meal. One night it was my daughter's birthday and they made her a special gluten free cupcake to celebrate. Our server, along with all the wait staff, were very attentive about what they could and couldn't eat.

Had the same experience at the Wind Jammer, etc. They went out of the way to make sure the cruise was special.

Penny

• 11 months later...
We had a wonderful experience with RCL on gluten free. Both of my kids are, along with being Asperger's. We also filled out the special needs form. Each night we had the matri'd stop by to check on the food. At the end of the meal we ordered the next night's meal. One night it was my daughter's birthday and they made her a special gluten free cupcake to celebrate. Our server, along with all the wait staff, were very attentive about what they could and couldn't eat.

Had the same experience at the Wind Jammer, etc. They went out of the way to make sure the cruise was special.

Penny

We've had similar experiences on RCI too, especially on a TA on Liberty last year.

I can't eat gluten and was a bit nervous about having to ask for "something different" like Redsox said "your on holiday, you want to relax and not have to think about what you're eating" but I only had to mention it to our fantastic waiting staff once and they took car of everything. A different flavour of gf bread was bought over every night, at the end of the meal they would bring over the menu for the next day for me to pick something. They didn't even mind when on one night I decided that I didn't really want the main meal that I'd picked the night before (yes I know I'm a pain in the ass) they happily told me what alternatives there were.

They were fantastic! :D

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...

We also had a great exerience on RCI. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about Gluton Free. So knowledgeble that he would tell me that the item I wanted was not Gluten Free! My husband wasn't too happy to be told that - but I was glad to know. Our waiter told us to ask for him in the morning, and he made a special effort to order me Gluton Free French Toast. Very impressed with our waiter.

• 3 years later...

I was never at a loss for something to eat on our last cruise but there were things I could not enjoy. High tea, the poolside burger bar and needing to be so careful at the buffets. It makes life harder than necessary at times.

I try and eat gluten free at home but on cruises I have been eating anything.On my last cruise I got sick after 3 days and changed to gluten free and felt fine.

Sounds to me like 'gluten free' for you is based on convenience rather than necessity. Hmmmmm! :confused: This just confirms my long held belief that this whole 'gluten free' thing is more of a trend than anything else.

Sounds to me like 'gluten free' for you is based on convenience rather than necessity. Hmmmmm! :confused: This just confirms my long held belief that this whole 'gluten free' thing is more of a trend than anything else.

I have Ulcerative Colitis and I am supposed to be on a 100% Gluten free diet .I was from 2004-2013 but since then although I eat only gluten free at home when I dine out I normally eat anything on the menu.