obese passenger

mj toth

• 8 years later...

Hi Everyone ! Just got back from a 10 day , Vancouver to Honolulu Cruise with NCL. It was all good. I really like the Jewel. The food was amazing. Staff were great. Love the drink package ! Best Raspberry Martini's ever . Looking forward to my very first Eastern Caribbean Cruise !

Hi Everyone ! Just got back from a 10 day , Vancouver to Honolulu Cruise with NCL. It was all good. I really like the Jewel. The food was amazing. Staff were great. Love the drink package ! Best Raspberry Martini's ever . Looking forward to my very first Eastern Caribbean Cruise !

That is wonderful! First...welcome to Cruise Critic. Second...for some reason you pulled up an old thread, dated back to 2009 Third... this is the "disabled" "handicapped " section of Cruise Critic. May I suggest you post this on the NCL boards? Glad you enjoyed your cruise!!!

Edited by champagne123
Xxxx

I think I may qualified as obese. I am 5’7” 300 pounds. To be painfully honest, get a handicap room with a roll in shower. I was on the NCL Epic, and those showers were so small you couldn’t change your mind in them. And we had a spa suite. The other recommendation is to use the spa shower(s).

• 3 months later...

Having cruised a lot and being obese.... cruising is a great vacation. I hate NCL bathrooms, (Don't do the NCI Spirit if it is still sailing.... it was designed for Asian population and all the furniture was small when we sailed on it. RCI regular cabin bathrooms or so so, I don't like the shower. It's like standing in a tube (their handicap cabins are great) Carnival I like the most. I do fine in a regular cabin, you can ask for a shower seat if you want. One of the first things we do is to find the location of all the public handicap bathrooms and there are several. For anyone that isn't obese.... the fear of getting into a public small bathroom stall and then not being able to get out is a real one. (Easy to go in, door opens in, but getting out is another question LOL! )

Carnival or really any line will have chairs that don't have arms. Cruise staff love to please and you don't feel bad at all for asking for stuff like a chair etc. Also, Carnival has some booths in their main dining rooms that big people don't fit in well. We always go when we board and check to see what kind of table we are at, and if it's one we don't think will work, we just ask for another one and poof... they make it happen. NCL chairs in the theater are narrow, Carnival has bench style seats on the floor. Also on decks 4 and 5 for the theater has an bench.

The great thing about cruising and being obese is there are plenty of places to sit down when walking around the ship.

One thing you should consider is if you have difficulty stepping up and down. Due to regulations, regular cabins bathrooms is a step up. So if that is a problem, you need to ask for a handicap room that a wheelchair could roll into.

You will see all kinds of people on a cruise ship, short ones, tall ones, thin and fat ones, nice ones, grumpy ones, freaky ones to go to church ones.... I love meeting all kinds of people. Hope your your overweight friend will give it a try.

Edited by Ocean Spirit

• 3 weeks later...

I am both disabled and quite fat. Disney calls their fluffy passengers 'Pooh sized' - as in Winnie the Pooh. I have cruised on several lines in both regular and accessible rooms and have had a good time on most of them.

There are problems with some of the bathrooms. Especially the very small shower doors on some cruise ships - and I have found those with split bathrooms to be uncomfortably tight. In both cases, we purchased the spa package and showered there. Obviously, when I had accessible rooms, there were no issues.

Also being honest, the seats in some of the theaters were too tight to be comfortable and I would have crowded anyone around me. Since my degenerative hips and arthritis has gotten worse, we now travel with a wheelchair, which has eliminated that problem.

In the dining room, if you ask for a seat with no arms, it will be provided, and if you have assigned dining time, it will be waiting for you after the first night.

I was often the fattest person on the ship. The staff was always accommodating and kind.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have been cruising for many years. I now have an in-law that is rather obese and he would like to go on a cruise. The ships I have been on have rather small bathrooms that I don't think would accommodate him. Does anyone know which ships have better accommodations for obese travellers? I've always stayed in a "normal" room. Will he and his wife have to get a suite? Thanks for any help.

Hello Holland America is not a bad option as it has bathtubs in the ocean view cabins and there would be more room to get in and out. My husband and I are not small and have not had a problem with Holland America in these bathrooms. If they are mobile, they should have no problems with any ship that has a curtain rather than a hard glass slider etc. Lots of obese people on ships that have no problems. cheers

Hello Holland America is not a bad option as it has bathtubs in the ocean view cabins and there would be more room to get in and out. My husband and I are not small and have not had a problem with Holland America in these bathrooms. If they are mobile, they should have no problems with any ship that has a curtain rather than a hard glass slider etc. Lots of obese people on ships that have no problems. cheers

Do you realize you are responding to someone who asked this question in 2006???? :o