Online Registration opens in a couple of days....

HodgeNNicole

We are cruise veterans but new to Disney. Our registration opens up in a couple of weeks. Is there anything that we should absolutely get online and register for??This time we are cruising with a 3.5 year old and a 70 year old for the first time and just want to enjoy our week not really anything on the must do list. Just wondering if there is anything I have to sign on and register for right away.

We are flying in the evening before and staying at the Hyatt at the airport. Probably going to register for Disney transfers just to make it easy. From what I understand we should be able to make our way over to baggage claim in the morning and catch the transfer there. Normally We love to be at the port early and on the ship to start the vacation as soon as possible. This trip we might do it different with our son and father in law in tow. Plan on getting to the port after the initial wave of people and on the ship shortly before the cabins open so we can drop our carry ons off in the cabin and let the boy free to explore our home for the week.

I have been to all the ports before except Castaway Cay of course so we will probably just explore on our own so we don't need to sign up for excursions. Not planning on eating at the adult only dining rooms so no reservations needed there. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Any tips would be appreciated...

If the 3.5 year old is into Disney Jr. Or princesses, or frozen, you may want to sign up for those. If you are a first timer then they may show as all taken but they open up and there are definitely still Tix available if you get them early when you get on the ship.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

OK, you do not go to baggage claim in the morning. You go to the Disney Welcome Center, lower level, terminal B. Staying at the Hyatt MCO with DCL transfers is the easiest way to go. The first bus will leave MCO about 9:30, arriving at the terminal just as it opens to incoming guests. The welcome center opens officially at 8:30, but really about 8:15. We go down, check in (which gets you assigned to a bus) and then go to the food court for breakfast. Unless your Hyatt package includes breakfast, their buffet is way more than I want or need to spend.

Things to sign up for if interested--Princess Gathering, Frozen Meet and Greet. Tickets are free but required. Character breakfast with Disney Jr. characters if your child is into them (again, free, ticket required). You can sometimes get these after boarding, but better to do in advance.

Adult dining reservations if interested. if you can't get what you want on line, don't worry. About half the reservations are held back till after boarding.

Other than that, it is really a matter of what you want. No need to book Castaway Cay playthings in advance (floats, tubes, bikes, etc) If you plan to do a DCL excursion at other ports, you'll want to book in advance.

Our little dude is OK with the characters but not super excited. We live near Disneyland and have been there a couple of times. So no big need to sign up for the meet and greets. He is not the most patient person on the planet so what time do you suggest we setting up the Disney transfers to get to the port just after the initial crowds have thinned out a bit. I was thinking on planning to arrive at the port 11:30-noon. Would that mean signing up for a transfer about 10:30 or 11AM?

You appear at the welcome center and are automatically put on the "next available" bus. Check out time at the hotel is 11. There is no "signing up" for a DCL transfer bus time. You just purchase transfers and are put on the "next available" bus when you get to the welcome center.

What time to show up at the terminal depends on several things. If you have a PAT before 12, show up at the PAT. (port arrival time) This system is designed to minimize your waiting and get you on board as soon as possible. If you have a PAT after 12:00, show up between 12 and 12:30. Open boarding (not using numbers any more) is usually announced about 12:30-1pm, so by the time you are checked in, you'll be able to board and go to lunch. I believe that if you are on DCL transportation, you do not need a PAT. In that case, I'd plan to arrive at the terminal about 11:30-12:00...depart the welcome center about 10:30-11.

The later you wait to go to the welcome center, the more people will be coming off planes and heading to port--often short on sleep and the comforts of home. Realize that people who didn't have a direct flight might have left for the airport at 4am for an 11am arrival at MCO! Those are not happy children.

My ideal situation is to wake up at a normal time--no need for alarm clock, get ready, and go to the welcome center. If you are waiting for a bus, get something to eat during that time. You can actually ask for the bus after the one currently loading if you need time to eat. After the first bus (about 9:30),they depart every 20 minutes or when full. If one fills in under 20 minutes, it will depart. If not, it will depart 20 minutes after it started filling so that if everything is going smoothly, no one waits on a bus longer than that.

Another hint--there is no need to sign up the little guy for the programming while you are in the terminal. If you have nothing else to do and are just waiting to board, it is fine to stand in that line. However, there is little or no line to do the sign up on the ship. It is far more efficient to wait till after boarding; you can do the kid sign up 5 minutes before the first time he plans to participate in the programming. Do the on line pre-reg before the cruise and then do the final registration on board.

When you check in to the Hyatt MCO they will give you a sheet if you tell them you are on a Disney cruise. They will come get your bags out of your room in the morning (you just leave them in the room) and the next time you see them will be on the ship in your stateroom. Just take a carry on with you. That is a free service which the Hyatt provides. I stay at the Hyatt MCO the night before every Disney cruise or Disney hotel stay since I don't like to waste my DVC points on a "travel" day. It is a great hotel and surprisingly very quiet - unless you step out on your balcony. There is even a pool on a higher floor overlooking the runway.

When we checked in at the Hyatt MCO, they made sure we were listed on their form and also gave us a paper to give to the welcome center. Their list tells the Hyatt people to be sure to get your luggage and the paper you give to DCL alerts them to be sure they have received your stuff.

Another hint--if you have a room on the airport side, you can log onto the airport's free internet. Otherwise, the last time we were there, the Hyatt had some outrageous charge for their wifi. I learned from the boards to ask for a room on the airport side if possible!

As to whether to go to WDW or not, my logic is that if we get in early evening or later, I stay in the MCO area. It isn't worth going to a WDW resort hotel unless we have time to enjoy it. If for some reason I got to MCO by noon, I might do a WDW hotel. They Hyatt MCO is definitely the most convenient place to stay for one night before the cruise. They also offer "day rooms" which are great if you have a late flight home. You can sleep, swim, shower, whatever...basically have a private place to spend the day while waiting for your flight. These were not available to book on line, you had to call the hotel directly to book one.

Thanks for all the tips. I am glad I chose the hotel. Now I will sign up for the Disney transfers to make life simple. And to remember to ask for a room on the airport side. I think we are arriving after 8 so by the time we get our bags and settle it will be time for bed anyway. To wake up rested and ready to go.

They Hyatt does offer a luggage collection service for a fee. If you wish, you can bypass baggage claim and go directly to the Hyatt. You give your luggage claims to the desk at check in and they will send a bellman to collect your bags and deliver them to your room. I think the fee is $10 + tip for up to 6 bags. If you are getting in late with fussy kids, this might be worthwhile. If this sounds like a good idea to you, consider calling the Hyatt directly to verify that it is still available--things do change and I'd hate to go to check in and then find out that I had to return to the airport for the bags if the service was unavailable or limited to certain hours. The 800 number knows nothing; call the specific hotel.

In the morning, the luggage service is a deal between Disney and they Hyatt--no cost beyond the fee for DCL transportation. You make sure the cruise tags are on your luggage and it is inside the door to your room at the Hyatt and it next appears outside your cabin on the ship.