$$ in Vancouver...

vacationlover_mn

We are spending 1 night in Vancouver before our Alaskan cruise... couple of questions...

1) do cabs/uber take credit cards?

2) do most hotels have a place in them where we can convert $$- last time I travelled international, it was Shanghai, and they had this...

3) they don’t take USD anywhere in Vancouver, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can change your money in the airport, and we did some for fun. In our experience, Canadians were really happy to get American money. In fact, we ended up giving our cabbie some of both.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They do take USA in some places in Vancouver but you are best just to get Canadian Money.

You can just do this at the Vancouver Airport.

I can't remember whether or not taxis take Credit Card but even if they do I wouldn't rely on it because in the USA where they take them they are sometimes unreliable.

Most hotels will convert money for you but the exchange rate won't be the best.

Keith

I did a google search and cabs do take credit card.

Let me add one more thing having read cbelc's post.

Even though some places take USA currency they will not give you a good exchange rate.

Again I would just get canadian currency.

Keith

The exchange rate, at least this past Summer, was better for American money. It wasn’t outrageous enough that we needed to exchange more. Our cab ride from the airport to the Sylvia Hotel was $50 one way and we paid the $200 for the Sylvia on a credit card. The restaurants were happy either way and the homeless guy we bought a carving from was just happy to get anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't been yet, but my research says the best place to get CAD is from a bank ATM (usually has the best exchange rate). We are staying one night after our cruise. We will be getting a little money from an ATM. Most stores take CCs, but we want to have a little cash just in case.

The exchange rate, at least this past Summer, was better for American money. It wasn’t outrageous enough that we needed to exchange more. Our cab ride from the airport to the Sylvia Hotel was $50 one way and we paid the $200 for the Sylvia on a credit card. The restaurants were happy either way and the homeless guy we bought a carving from was just happy to get anything.

You got ripped off - cabs YVR to Sylvia are a fixed rate of CAD$37... unfortunately even with the fixed rates that were brought in several years ago, some cabbies still try it on with visitors. Most commonly they pretend your hotel is in a higher price zone than it actually is ($35 to Canada Place instead of $31 to most of downtown), can't recall the last time I heard about a straight-up lie about the price so you got unlucky.

Airport exchange rates are also the worst in the region (this is true pretty much everywhere, not just locally) - personally I'd use credit card for the cab then get local cash from an ATM downtown, which offers the best exchange rate if you're looking for $100+ (if your bank refunds foreign ATM fees, it's the best rate for any amount of money). Otherwise VBCE generally has the best rates to exchange cash for cash.

Many business take USD on request - but change will be in CAD. Even Tim Hortons, the iconic Canadian coffee chain, lists their current USD exchange rate (actually pretty close to bank rates) while every souvenir shop tends to have a hand-written note next to the checkouts with a more-rounded-in-their-favour USD rate. Unless you're only spending $5 or less, credit cards are widely accepted and even with a Foreign Transaction Fee likely offer a better total price than cash - if you have a good card with no FTF you should use it every opportunity you can.

You got ripped off - cabs YVR to Sylvia are a fixed rate of CAD$37... unfortunately even with the fixed rates that were brought in several years ago, some cabbies still try it on with visitors. Most commonly they pretend your hotel is in a higher price zone than it actually is ($35 to Canada Place instead of $31 to most of downtown), can't recall the last time I heard about a straight-up lie about the price so you got unlucky.

Airport exchange rates are also the worst in the region (this is true pretty much everywhere, not just locally) - personally I'd use credit card for the cab then get local cash from an ATM downtown, which offers the best exchange rate if you're looking for $100+ (if your bank refunds foreign ATM fees, it's the best rate for any amount of money). Otherwise VBCE generally has the best rates to exchange cash for cash.

Many business take USD on request - but change will be in CAD. Even Tim Hortons, the iconic Canadian coffee chain, lists their current USD exchange rate (actually pretty close to bank rates) while every souvenir shop tends to have a hand-written note next to the checkouts with a more-rounded-in-their-favour USD rate. Unless you're only spending $5 or less, credit cards are widely accepted and even with a Foreign Transaction Fee likely offer a better total price than cash - if you have a good card with no FTF you should use it every opportunity you can.

Thx!

Many business take USD on request - but change will be in CAD. Even Tim Hortons, the iconic Canadian coffee chain, lists their current USD exchange rate (actually pretty close to bank rates) .

That's because you can use Tim's bits as currency in Canada ;)

We go to Canada a lot and just get a small amount of cash from an ATM (or more likely bring the cash we didn't even touch on the last trip) and use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees as much as possible. It is more common than not for us to use no cash at all during our stay.

• 1 month later...
We are spending 1 night in Vancouver before our Alaskan cruise... couple of questions...

1) do cabs/uber take credit cards?

2) do most hotels have a place in them where we can convert $$- last time I travelled international, it was Shanghai, and they had this...

3) they don’t take USD anywhere in Vancouver, right?

1. Uber is not in Vancouver, but cabs will take credit cards.

2. Most places will take USD but you'll lose 5 to 10%. For example, they may give you $1.20CAD instead of the proper exchange rate of $1.27CAD for $1USD. Change will be given in CAD.

3. Pretty much everywhere will take USD except vending machines, busses, etc.

Honestly, Vancouver is RIGHT no the US border. Very different from Shanghai. In fact, when you're there, you will feel like you're in any other pacific northwest city like Seattle or Portland.

If you don't already have one look for a credit card with no foreign exchange fees.

Also if you plan on using your ATM card to get money or a credit card anywhere call your bank/CC provider and let them know you will be in Canada. If you don't they may flag it as fraud and not allow the charge. Letting them now you are going to Alaska wouldn't hurt either.