A Test of Character

nordski

We all know that travel, and its assorted experiences, can provide challenges that reveal our true nature.

Here is a situation before we even leave that challenges my self-regard as a frugal but wise and ethical traveler.

For an upcoming cruise, Choice Air offers from Toronto one direct 8 hour Air Canada flight to Rome.

However, because of a code share (Lufthansa) and options of refundable/nonrefundable, there are 4 choices in Premium Economy.

Surprisingly and unaccountably, one of those refundable choices is $600. per person less than the other three albeit, of course, about $500. pp more than Economy.

Do we:

a/ Stick with the frugal Economy seating?

b/ Decide that this single Premium Economy option offers an amazing and attractive $600. savings from the other three choices, a bargain too good to pass up?

or

C/ Call Choice Air and point out the discrepancy? :)

In the context of many of today's problems this is not serious, but I am curious as to how the seasoned travelers on this forum would reason through this decision.

:D

We all know that travel, and its assorted experiences, can provide challenges that reveal our true nature.

Here is a situation before we even leave that challenges my self-regard as a frugal but wise and ethical traveler.

For an upcoming cruise, Choice Air offers from Toronto one direct 8 hour Air Canada flight to Rome.

However, because of a code share (Lufthansa) and options of refundable/nonrefundable, there are 4 choices in Premium Economy.

Surprisingly and unaccountably, one of those refundable choices is $600. per person less than the other three albeit, of course, about $500. pp more than Economy.

Do we:

a/ Stick with the frugal Economy seating?

b/ Decide that this single Premium Economy option offers an amazing and attractive $600. savings from the other three choices, a bargain too good to pass up?

or

C/ Call Choice Air and point out the discrepancy? :)

In the context of many of today's problems this is not serious, but I am curious as to how the seasoned travelers on this forum would reason through this decision.

I would book the cheap option, the only negative is that they may notice the discrepancy, if not you’re ‘quids in’ as we say over here

Recently, When I called Choice Air I was quoted and booked a fully refundable fare for the same price as the non refundable fare. I did not point that out to Choice air. I am sure that even though the price discrepency seems odd, everyone is making a profit.

Is the AC flight Toronto to Rome on Rouge? or full on AC? also, what airline is the Premium Economy on?

Ahh, good questions. I see that I have not made this clear.

The flight to Rome is full on AC.

However the last time I flew Rouge, aside from in-flight entertainment, one might be hard pressed to tell the difference. :)

The Premium Economy flight is operated by Air Canada. The only reason that Choice Air lists more than two choices (Refundable and Nonrefundable) is that it also lists the same flight as a possible code share with Lufthansa.

The $600.00 cheaper flight is the Lufthansa code share (Refundable) although the Lufthansa code share (Nonrefundable) is the roughly same price as the two Air Canada choices.

That is why I take it to be an error of some nature.

Why not book directly with the airline? I like the control! :)

I would go with Lufthansa Premium Economy. We've just booked code share through AC with Lufthansa (combo AC and Lufthansa) for an upcoming flight. I read the reviews and its sound comparable to AC PE.

If you book with AC, you won't be able to book your Lufthansa seats on line, so you might want to do a dummy booking on Lufthansa to see what seats are available in PE. After you book, you need to call Lufthansa to book your seats.

Re a/ I'm too old (and high maintenance) for frugal economy for more than 3 hours :)

Why not book directly with the airline? I like the control! :)

I would go with Lufthansa Premium Economy. We've just booked code share through AC with Lufthansa (combo AC and Lufthansa) for an upcoming flight. I read the reviews and its sound comparable to AC PE.

If you book with AC, you won't be able to book your Lufthansa seats on line, so you might want to do a dummy booking on Lufthansa to see what seats are available in PE. After you book, you need to call Lufthansa to book your seats.

Re a/ I'm too old (and high maintenance) for frugal economy for more than 3 hours :)

Good suggestions.

I enjoyed your last comment.

. Perhaps my body isn’t up for the frugal life any longer and I can rationalize ditching those principles.

Another vote for a time limit on economy in our case it’s 4 hours absolute max aka Europe only from where we live. So go for PE, you deserve it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another vote for a time limit on economy in our case it’s 4 hours absolute max aka Europe only from where we live. So go for PE, you deserve it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just as there used to be a a 3 or 5 second rule for safely rescuing food from the floor (now apparently proven spurious), you and TravelBugM have suggested a new rule to follow: no Economy flights over 3 or 4 hours.

Being a rule-abiding citizen, this appears to be a very good way to eliminate these “tests”.

Thanks for the replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And as the saying goes...

If you don't fly first class (or Premium Economy as the case may be) your heirs will!!!

We flew AC Rouge PE Toronto to Venice and AC PE from Rome home to Toronto. Both legs very good.

And if you are flying AC, you have access to the AC Lounge (for a small fee) at YYZ. I found out when I booked our recent flight which is code share through AC with Lufthansa YYZ to CDG, that we are not eligible for Lounge access.

In any event, whoever you book with, reserve seats on the left hand side of the plane (facing the front of the plane) as they tend to start on that side taking meal orders and we've noticed they often run out of options by the time they get to the right side.

And as the saying goes...

If you don't fly first class (or Premium Economy as the case may be) your heirs will!!!

We flew AC Rouge PE Toronto to Venice and AC PE from Rome home to Toronto. Both legs very good.

And if you are flying AC, you have access to the AC Lounge (for a small fee) at YYZ. I found out when I booked our recent flight which is code share through AC with Lufthansa YYZ to CDG, that we are not eligible for Lounge access.

In any event, whoever you book with, reserve seats on the left hand side of the plane (facing the front of the plane) as they tend to start on that side taking meal orders and we've noticed they often run out of options by the time they get to the right side.

All great advice!

I agree, with the right crew Rouge is fine and sometimes the only AC choice.

I hope you have had an opportunity to head north on Hwy #10 to visit our lovely "rural" locale.

Not so rural anymore, I'm afraid.

The other bonus of booking Premium Economy is the priority line checking in and processing through. Terminal 1 can be an extremely unpleasant start to ones travels.

Happy to add my 2 cents. Let me know if I can poke my nose in any other way!!!

Not so rural anymore, I'm afraid.

The other bonus of booking Premium Economy is the priority line checking in and processing through. Terminal 1 can be an extremely unpleasant start to ones travels.

Happy to add my 2 cents. Let me know if I can poke my nose in any other way!!!

I'll probably have more questions before we sail.

Thanks for the offer.

Fare differences for air travel between two points span the spectrum of pricing. "Code" shares are especially egregious. Last year we flew Business between Miami and Ushuaia for an Antarctic cruise. Purchased tickets directly from Aerolineas Argentinas (A330/A340 - very comfortable aircraft and all flights were on-time). Delta "code share" price on the same airplane, if purchased directly from Delta, was TRIPLE the Aeolineas fare.

Spouse and I are in our mid-70s. Comfort is important for her so we have elected to fly Business when we can. After much research have concluded that finding good Business fares is a crap shoot. Three years ago R/T MIA to China cost us $3,000 8-months out - it was priced at $7,000 month before travel. Choice Air and the other cruise line air consolidators do not provide a full spectrum of available fares. They set limits based on their own preferences. For example, flying back to the US from CPH following a Norway cruise on Quest Choice Air did not even show a 10:30AM flight - only flights after midday which were about $500 more expensive than the AM flight purchased directly from the airline. They are also limited to a "contract" price further restricted to specific airlines/flights. Traveling to Australia this Fall and discovered that fares offered by airlines are not the same as those offered by the cruise line's air booking services. Qantas's fare was doubled by the cruise line as the Qantas "base" Business fare was non-refundable. However, Virgin Atlantic's fare was actually $300 less expensive using the cruise line and half of the Qantas fare.

Thorough research is a must!

Fare differences for air travel between two points span the spectrum of pricing. "Code" shares are especially egregious. Last year we flew Business between Miami and Ushuaia for an Antarctic cruise. Purchased tickets directly from Aerolineas Argentinas (A330/A340 - very comfortable aircraft and all flights were on-time). Delta "code share" price on the same airplane, if purchased directly from Delta, was TRIPLE the Aeolineas fare.

Spouse and I are in our mid-70s. Comfort is important for her so we have elected to fly Business when we can. After much research have concluded that finding good Business fares is a crap shoot. Three years ago R/T MIA to China cost us $3,000 8-months out - it was priced at $7,000 month before travel. Choice Air and the other cruise line air consolidators do not provide a full spectrum of available fares. They set limits based on their own preferences. For example, flying back to the US from CPH following a Norway cruise on Quest Choice Air did not even show a 10:30AM flight - only flights after midday which were about $500 more expensive than the AM flight purchased directly from the airline. They are also limited to a "contract" price further restricted to specific airlines/flights. Traveling to Australia this Fall and discovered that fares offered by airlines are not the same as those offered by the cruise line's air booking services. Qantas's fare was doubled by the cruise line as the Qantas "base" Business fare was non-refundable. However, Virgin Atlantic's fare was actually $300 less expensive using the cruise line and half of the Qantas fare.

Thorough research is a must!

Great examples to provide more food for thought.

We have, by default, tended to go with Choice Air because occasionally we have an air credit. Clearly, as you suggest, we need to expand our research.

Also agree that, as airlines squeeze more passengers into Economy, our aging bodies require more options. Is this their plan?

What surprised us in our choices for this itinerary was that the refundable code share was $600. cheaper than the non refundable.

Thanks for your helpful post.