London pre cruise

laurieb

We’ll be spending three nights pre cruise in London before boarding the ship in Greenwich; since it’s our first visit to London we have no idea where to stay. Suggestions would be much appreciated [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’ll be spending three nights pre cruise in London before boarding the ship in Greenwich; since it’s our first visit to London we have no idea where to stay. Suggestions would be much appreciated [emoji4]

I have spent a lot of time in London on business over the years and prefer the area west of st. paul's, east of nottinghill, north of the thames, and south of regent's park. Greenwich is to the east but a first timer who wants to see the main attractions and maybe take in a show will spend most of their time within the described area. Hotels are everywhere and are generally pricey. There are lots of Brits on this board who can probably give you specific recommendations based upon interests and budget. Don't stay in Greenwich.

For easy onwards travel to Greenwich by train (best option by a long way) you can stay in Covent Garden/Leicester Square area (very central and lots to do), the area around Waterloo (less expensive and some budget premier inn type options but still very central) or London Bridge (very good transport links via the underground from LB station and close to the City and South bank).

With those options you are on the main trainline to Greenwich via Charing Cross, Waterloo East or London Bridge.

The train journey takes about 20mins out to Greenwich.

It is worth spending a little time in Greenwich itself, the Royal Park is very expansive and beautiful and houses the maritime museum and royal observatory and it is here that you can stand with your feet either side of the Greenwich meridian. Also the naval college is amazing - the painted hall is breathtakingly beautiful. The covered market is good, particularly on Sundays, with lots of arts and crafts stalls.

I would avoid the absolute middle, you pay a high premium. London Bridge area is a great suggestion. Near Thames for evening pubs if you want to try one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depends what sort of hotel you want. If it’s a budget hotel you are looking for you can’t beat Premier Inns. There are a few in a London - Covent Garden, Westminster Abbey, Westminster Bridge. They are very good value for money, rooms are fine and we have always found their staff very helpful.

Are you looking for hotels during the week or including the weekend it makes a difference on price and ambience. The budget hotels are great but not quiet at weekends when the party animals arrive!

Of the budgets I’d say without a doubt Holiday Inn Express are best.

If you want a little more look at Apex as a chain. More expensive through the week as business folks love them. They are in quirky locations all individual good deals at the weekend

Yes - good advice from Soapbox . Try looking into hotels on the near south bank area of the Thames e.g. London Bridge , Southwark, Bermondsey, Borough tube stations - all nice areas. A bit cheaper than central london but connect well back to sightseeing. Tube line for Bermondsey, transfer at Canary Wharf for Greenwich port. Easy to get

It helps if we know your budget

The OP should look at what they want to see and do first before deciding where to stay. They need to figure out what is important to see and how far it is to travel.

For first timers that have i would suggest Soho. My wife and i like the Soho area because there are so manny places to eat and drink at night or during the day. We stayed at the Nadler Soho a yer ago and going back this spring.

Also suggest the OP goes to Trip Advsior and do some research.

I have done research on trip advisor.

We’ll be arriving on Friday and the cruise starts Monday.

I’ve been looking at the Hilton properties especially near the Tower of London.

We aren’t looking for budget but the red carnation properties are beyond what we’d like to pay

If you stay near The Tower of London, best access to Greenwich is via the Thames Clipper service. Takes around 30 minutes and is a very pleasant river journey. When you get off at Greenwich Pier Azamara will be right there. Azamara check in plus very short tender to the ship from the same pier.

Do enjoy wonderful Greenwich whilst you are there. Tourist information Centre is within yards.

If you stay near The Tower of London, best access to Greenwich is via the Thames Clipper service. Takes around 30 minutes and is a very pleasant river journey. When you get off at Greenwich Pier Azamara will be right there. Azamara check in plus very short tender to the ship from the same pier.

Do enjoy wonderful Greenwich whilst you are there. Tourist information Centre is within yards.

Love the Thames Clipper!

Phil

So glad I read this thread. Thanks Laurib! :D

Just booked the Premier Inn on Leicester Sq for 2 nights. We have tickets for the Harry Potter plays for Sunday and it will be great to stay in a hotel within walking distance from the theatre!

The Thames clipper sounds like a wonderful suggestion. But can we get easily on it with luggage?

miriam

So glad I read this thread. Thanks Laurib! :D

Just booked the Premier Inn on Leicester Sq for 2 nights. We have tickets for the Harry Potter plays for Sunday and it will be great to stay in a hotel within walking distance from the theatre!

The Thames clipper sounds like a wonderful suggestion. But can we get easily on it with luggage?

miriam

Hi Miriam! I’ve never taken luggage on it. I’ve only been a foot passenger, but you can so as long as it doesn’t obstruct. Here’s an FAQ link:

https://www.thamesclippers.com/about-mbna-thames-clippers/frequently-asked-questions

It’s fun. If the weather is nice and it’s the right boat I like to be at the back in the open. It goes quite sedately at first through central London and then they open the taps and down to Canary Wharf and beyond it’s pretty rapid.

Phil

Hi Miriam! I’ve never taken luggage on it. I’ve only been a foot passenger, but you can so as long as it doesn’t obstruct. Here’s an FAQ link:

https://www.thamesclippers.com/about-mbna-thames-clippers/frequently-asked-questions

It’s fun. If the weather is nice and it’s the right boat I like to be at the back in the open. It goes quite sedately at first through central London and then they open the taps and down to Canary Wharf and beyond it’s pretty rapid.

Phil

Thanks Phil!

I just found the same site .. ;)

So, if the weather is nice on the morning of the embarkation, we can take a cab to the Embankment Pier and sail to Greenwich from there..

It does sound nice

miriam

Thanks Phil!

So, if the weather is nice on the morning of the embarkation, we can take a cab to the Embankment Pier and sail to Greenwich from there..

It does sound nice

miriam

Yep! It affords a great view of the city as you go down the Thames. Under Tower Bridge and on. Much better than the Tube!

Phil