Travel from Hobby airport/Parking - Port in Galveston

Liz_77

Hello,

I am sailing out of Galveston but I am driving from OKC. My rental car is from National and I can only drop it in Houston. What are the cheapest options for getting to the boat? I see on the Carnival website its $37 per person. Any other ideas? :D Thanks for any feedback.

Hello,

I am sailing out of Galveston but I am driving from OKC. My rental car is from National and I can only drop it in Houston. What are the cheapest options for getting to the boat? I see on the Carnival website its $37 per person. Any other ideas? :D Thanks for any feedback.

I would check Uber. I live near Galveston, and I can tell you there are a TON of good Uber drivers in the area.

Thanks everyone! All great suggestions. The Galveston Express ideas is $25 a person so that's a $12 savings per person there and back.The Uber is $45-60 per trip. Both cheaper than the $37 per person each way. Thank you!

Another cruise critic member said this on a similar thread under "Gulf Coast Departures":

My recommendation would be VIP Express. Manuel gives EXCELLENT service www.vipexpressllc.com

-----------------

I took her recommendation and called them. Emanuel is a really nice gentleman and does all he can to explain everything and be as helpful as possible. He just started his shuttle business this year with a friend. They used to work for another shuttle company and did not like the way the other company was conducting their customer service. I was very happy with him over the phone and setting up my reservation. His prices were great and I am sure his service will be excellent. He is really anxious to please.

• 2 weeks later...
Another cruise critic member said this on a similar thread under "Gulf Coast Departures":

My recommendation would be VIP Express. Manuel gives EXCELLENT service www.vipexpressllc.com

-----------------

I took her recommendation and called them. Emanuel is a really nice gentleman and does all he can to explain everything and be as helpful as possible. He just started his shuttle business this year with a friend. They used to work for another shuttle company and did not like the way the other company was conducting their customer service. I was very happy with him over the phone and setting up my reservation. His prices were great and I am sure his service will be excellent. He is really anxious to please.

They both used to work for Galveston Express so they are properly trained. One of them was fired though because he was using Galveston Express' equipment to transport his own passengers. It was suspected Emanuele was involved but there was no proof so he was allowed to continue working until they formed their own company.

Cruise Connection is another offshoot of Galveston Express. Its owner was also an employee until he formed his own company. I'm told the company is for sale now.

-----------------

And then they have the stones to actually use Express in their own company name.

• 2 weeks later...
How is the availability of Uber between Hobby-Galveston? I just worry About getting to the ship/airport

There will be literally dozens and dozens of Uber/Lyft drivers around. We stayed at Houston Hobby SpringHill Suites and after we booked our car via the Lyft app, the car was in the hotel parking lot to pick us up in under 10 minutes; post cruise it took less than 5 minutes.

How is the availability of Uber between Hobby-Galveston? I just worry About getting to the ship/airport

We used Uber a few weeks ago and it was super quick and easy! Waited <10 minutes both ways. The driver said a lot of them look for early pick-ups at HOU heading to Galveston, then wait in Galveston for someone looking to get back to HOU.

We used Cruise Connection a few weeks ago from Hobby to Harbor House next to the pier in Galveston. Fast, friendly and $22pp. They handle both the port and hotels. We were their only pickup for that time period, so we had an 11 passenger van with trailer to ourselves. Came in the day before the cruise so they were lightly booked that day. Would highly recommend them. Would also recommend the hotel.

Edited by LeeW
spelling