More re transport to Southampton

bazzaw

In another thread, posters made mention of Cunard coaches from Victoria Coach Station as a possibility - I note now that the Cruise Personaliser under the heading "Getting there and back/Taxis and Limousines" links to a service called HOLIDAYTAXIS.com website which says that it is in partnership with Cunard. Their service includes everything from private cars/limousines to coaches. Am wondering if anybody has booked transportation through this service. I do also note that Smiths seem to come highly recommended but am worried a little that they are based in Portsmouth which is neither Southampton nor London :) Any further advice please?

All I can add is that we have used Smiths on numerous occasions for transport from both Heathrow and our hotel in Kensington to Southampton. We have also used them for getting to our hotel in London from Heathrow. We have always had excellent service from them and highly recommend them.

However, it would be interesting to know more about Holidays Taxi if anyone has used them. It's always good to have a back up option.

We also use smith's all the time. Great prices, safe & friendly

We used to use Smith's, but for the last dozen occasions, use South Coast Chauffeurs who use S-Class Mercs and at a similar price of a standard saloon. London to Soton 1 hour 50 mins.

Stewart

I did a sample booking directly through holidaytaxis.com. Holy mackerel, they want 279 pounds one way. And they say that is a 20% discount. Maybe it would be more cost-effective through Cunard. We have used Smiths before quite successfully and will check with them, too.

We have never used Holiday Taxis in the UK but our favourite TA always books our transfers overseas with Holiday Taxis who then co-ordinate it with local taxi firms where ever we are going. Mostly it works very well. As for the cost quoted by LDVinNC that seems very excessive to me. We sometimes use a local taxi service (No good for you guys I am afraid as we are I'm Cornwall) and we get charged about £400 round trip but that is for a six hour each way trip from St Austell to Gatwick.

If we were going London to Soton I think we would opt for the Merc!!

Peter and Jenny

I did a sample booking directly through holidaytaxis.com. Holy mackerel, they want 279 pounds one way. And they say that is a 20% discount. Maybe it would be more cost-effective through Cunard. We have used Smiths before quite successfully and will check with them, too.

I've tried the same.

Heathrow to the Holiday Inn in Southampton (so just one way) : £185

Last summer we used Smith's : £67.

• 2 weeks later...

Smith's have cranked their prices up a lot which is a shame as I'd always had good service.

I live close to LHR and used to pay £67 or so each way to go to Soton (excellent value). Last time I quoted it was £90 each way (not so great!).

At that price I'd rather go with South Coast Chauffeurs. £130 in an S Class last time and a more upmarket experience.