Repositioning cruises

renjrusa

Possibly being semantically anal here but surely if a ship changes in homeport/start port is essentially re-positioning...no? If a ship is in Asia or Europe especially then the base of operations has to change because they've moved to a different country.

It's also worth noting that quite a few lines (Inc Royal and NCL) class re-positioning cruises as start in one port and end in another.

Not to say its a definite this or that but naturally playing the devil's advocate here.

Start port simply means the port from which a particular itinerary sails. Home port means the port from which a ship ordinarily sails. Re-positioning ordinarily means a change in home port - or a change in area served, and a ship which generally sails from one port to a different port, without having a home port is not really "positioned" in the first place - so it is difficult to say it is "repositioned" every time it sails: it simply sails

We get some great repositioning cruises on our part of the world. As well as the Trans-Pacific ones, there are some terrific itineraries up to Asia. We're doing the Diamond Princess repositioning cruise from Sydney to Yokohama next month. 22 nights with lots of sea days and only 7 port stops. Bliss!

Possibly being semantically anal here but surely if a ship changes in homeport/start port is essentially re-positioning...no? If a ship is in Asia or Europe especially then the base of operations has to change because they've moved to a different country.

It's also worth noting that quite a few lines (Inc Royal and NCL) class re-positioning cruises as start in one port and end in another.

Not to say its a definite this or that but naturally playing the devil's advocate here.

Navybankerteacher might have better phrased it "Not all one-way cruises are repositioning cruises." A repositioning cruise moves the ship from one area to another so it starts and ends in different ports which makes it one way. But there are other kinds of one-way cruises.

For example, there are Alaska cruises that go from Seward to Vancouver and cruises from Vancouver to Seward. Often a ship will do this all through the Alaska season going back and forth between the two ports. This isn't repositioning. Or Med cruises where a ship will have a cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona and then perhaps one from Barcelona to Rome, etc. It is sailing around the Med doing continuous cruises and often they start and end in different ports in the region.

The ship doing an Alaska cruise spent the winter somewhere else. When it moves from one seasonal location to another, that's a repostioning cruise.

Windstar's ship Star Legend has been in Asia doing a mix of round trip and one way cruises there. This May, Star Legend will reposition from Asia to Alaska by sailing from Tokyo to Seward. That's a repositioning cruise. Then it will spend the late spring and summer doing one ways between Seward and Vancouver mixed with some Vancouver round trips before a repositioning cruise back to Asia.

Cruise companies advertising 'repo' cruises (they do set the routes after all). Here is an example:

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/cruises-to/repositioning-cruises (note the Alaska/Seattle on there)

I realise us cruise fans will have certain definitions as we love our cruises and if I think repo I immediately think transatlantic/transpacific but obviously the cruise lines may have different ideas. Me? I don't a monkey's eyeball what a cruise is called/categorised in....as long as I am on it. I do generally prefer holidays that are a journey though if I am honest and repo cruises often have the best ports.

Cruise companies advertising 'repo' cruises (they do set the routes after all). Here is an example:

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/cruises-to/repositioning-cruises (note the Alaska/Seattle on there)

/quote]

Now that you have identified the source of that misuse of the English language, I understand. I do not think much of NCL’s cruises, so there is no reason for me to have high expectations concerning their advertising.

Let me keep this thing going. We're researching a west to east transatlantic repo, either to the Med or North Europe (really only two choices) for 2019. I see that a lot of balcony cabins midships are already booked.

Given that it's transatlantic and likely to be cool weather, do I really need to book a balcony cabin. It's less about $$ than it is simply availability. What's the weather like at sea in April? I'd have to think temp in sixties °F. Does one spend a lot of time on balcony during Transatlantic. We did a crossing on QM2 in August, and we enjoyed the balcony, but I don't recall spending a huge amount of time on it.

On a related question, my better half (the one who must be obeyed) asked what kind of clothes she would need on this kind of trip, especially if we end up in Northern Europe. I told her spring clothes, but on the dress warmly side. Is this about right for an April west to east?

Let me keep this thing going. We're researching a west to east transatlantic repo, either to the Med or North Europe (really only two choices) for 2019. I see that a lot of balcony cabins midships are already booked.

Given that it's transatlantic and likely to be cool weather, do I really need to book a balcony cabin. It's less about $$ than it is simply availability. What's the weather like at sea in April? I'd have to think temp in sixties °F. Does one spend a lot of time on balcony during Transatlantic. We did a crossing on QM2 in August, and we enjoyed the balcony, but I don't recall spending a huge amount of time on it.

On a related question, my better half (the one who must be obeyed) asked what kind of clothes she would need on this kind of trip, especially if we end up in Northern Europe. I told her spring clothes, but on the dress warmly side. Is this about right for an April west to east?

April eastbound will be cool - especially to Northern Europe. If you do get a balcony, go for starboard side - whatever sun there might be will be very welcome.

You'd be lucky if temps never fell below 60's ; 50's will be more like it as you near Northern Europe.

Some people must have a balcony whatever the weather; we never have one on a TA because the weather's so unreliable, even in summer. Instead, we choose an outside or inside very carefully, close to an outside door on to deck, or next to the atrium.

I'm with the "a balcony is not necessary on a TA" crowd. The benefit of a spring TA is much longer days as far as available sunlight. We sailed to CPH on a spring TA and had 70 degree days and sunshine in London, Helsingborg, and Copenhagen, so you never know.

Advise your wife that the need for warm weather clothing is minimal. Maybe one outfit for a day or two out of Florida, if that is your embarkation state. I've been on four TAs and the Atlantic was like glass. The Mediterranean, on the other hand, was a bit rocky.

I’ve done an eastward TA on Princess and while it was okay, I was not impressed with the service of the CD staff. Most of them were heading home after a long European season and just wasn’t “into working”.

I only remember the names of 2 CDs out of all my cruises and Billy London’s attitude was reflected in his staff.

A westward bound TA may have a more enthusiastic CD staff. With all the sea days on a TA, activities are important.