First Alaska Cruise - Looking for excursions

bnorris10

6/15/2018Skagway, AK7:00 AM8:00 PMExplore this Port

6/16/2018Juneau, AK7:00 AM3:00 PMExplore this Port

6/17/2018Ketchikan, AK7:00 AM1:00 PMExplore this Port

6/18/2018Victoria, BC, Canada7:30 PM11:59 PM

This is our first Alaska cruise looking for outside excursions especially for whale watching - the prices on the boat are just way to expensive I can't see spending almost $800 for the chance of seeing a whale

Anyways any help I can use

Also anything on Carnival Legend that should not be missed?

In Skagway we didn't do the train, but we did do the bus tour up to the Yukon. We had snow, rain, the world's smallest desert, and for all the ports we have been to, Yukon is the only stamp we have in our passport. We also had a great tour guide, Doug, who knew more about the gold rush, than I wanted to know, but I walked off the bus, very happy, and very well educated.

Hi Marshawk! We were on the same cruise!

Juneau we went on the float trip by Mendenhall Glacier. Loved this and surprisingly we didn’t get too wet or cold!

Ketchikan hired a golf cart for a couple of hours and drove around town. Then my husband went on the deadliest catch tour and thought it was fantastic. Girls and I went on the duck tour.

Skagway we went on the gold panning, sled dogs and below 40 room tour. Really great tour. That afternoon we went on the To the Summit bus trip. Great views and went to the border crossing to Canada. Even better for us it started snowing (for us from Western Australia, it’s huge!!)

We loved Alaska and hoping to get back on year!

In Juneau skip the ship excursion. From port you can catch a local bus to Mendenhall Glacier for less than $5. It runs every half hour or so and it is a great morning or afternoon adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’ve been to Alaska a couple of times, once inside and overland & the longer trip from Seattle r/t to anchorage & Kodiak. On those trips we’ve made several whale watches—each one of them a disappointment (especially compared to a great whale watch out of Boston where we saw over a dozen whales breach). Out of Ketchikan we took a fun boat trip with the guys from Deadliest Catch . No whales but lots of other wildlife and family friendly education and photo opps.

In Skagway, we booked with Chilkoot Charters and took the train up in to Canada and then boarded a bus to take us up in to the Yukon and then back to Skagway. We went to Carcross and saw the worlds smallest desert (Carcross Desert), Emerald Lake and a small town where we got our passports stamped. They include lunch and at lunch there is an opportunity to ride in a dog sled if you choose (have to pre-book when you book the tickets at least in 2013 you did). Stanley was our guide and she was terrific. Stopped a couple extra places and on the way back, she even dropped part of the group off in downtown Skagway to shop and the rest of us she took straight back to the ship. Wonderful tour and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

In Juneau, we took the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts (had coupons for buy one get one). It was a beautiful sunny day so we figured why not. Had lunch up there and then walked around and got to meet Liberty an injured bald eagle that lives up there. Beautiful views if it's clear out. Other than that, we just walked around town.

In Ketchikan, we splurged and took a float plane ride with Michelle at Island Wings (I think I had coupons for this too) into the Misty Fjord National Monument. SPECTACULAR!!!!! She even let my oldest son, who wanted to be an Aerospace Engineer, sit up front with her. Don't think he got to fly the plane, but it was still cool and she gave him all kinds of pointers on how to get his pilots license.

As for whale watching, our cruise was a one way and had a stop at Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) and we went out with Glacier Winds. At first we were in an area with all the cruise excursion charters and watched a couple whales, but then they went down and rather than follow the crowd, we left and went out further into part of Glacier Bay (not the area cruise ships go) and we were so blessed to be able to watch a baby humpback practicing his breeches! We must have watched him for about 30 minutes. My ex was able to get it all on film - 3 full breeches!!! Sport mode on the camera made it possible.

When I was doing my research, I believe it's Harv & Marv do whale watching tours out of Juneau. They have gotten good reviews and from what I've read they do see whales on most every trip. Thought about booking with them, but Icy Strait provided more of an opportunity for the whales for us.

In Juneau skip the ship excursion. From port you can catch a local bus to Mendenhall Glacier for less than $5. It runs every half hour or so and it is a great morning or afternoon adventure.

Hi Sharpgirl,

I was wondering if there's anything you "miss out on" by taking the bus... does it still go to the visitor center and everything that the excursion would do? The excursion descriptions make it sound like the tour bus driver has a special pass to go through the Tongass Forest, so I wondered if they end up at a different viewing point? Also, how long would it take if we walked instead of taking the bus - and is that even possible? Thank you for the info!

In Ketchikan where we were docked whales were right along side the ship playing this past June. They were right around the ship for an hour or two...............saw about 4.

We didn't do any whale watching excursions, maybe next time when we go in August 2019.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

Ketchikan hired a golf cart for a couple of hours and drove around town. Then my husband went on the deadliest catch tour and thought it was fantastic. Girls and I went on the duck tour.

What did they charge for the golf cart for the day or was it by the hour?

Jimbo:)

Hi Sharpgirl,

I was wondering if there's anything you "miss out on" by taking the bus... does it still go to the visitor center and everything that the excursion would do? The excursion descriptions make it sound like the tour bus driver has a special pass to go through the Tongass Forest, so I wondered if they end up at a different viewing point? Also, how long would it take if we walked instead of taking the bus - and is that even possible? Thank you for the info!

Your excursion might go places the city bus doesn’t. It seems like the bus stop was at a parking lot and then there was a hike to the glacier. Where we went was a beautiful waterfall to our right, the face of the glacier to our front and a beautiful pond between us. The pond/glacier fed a creek to the other side and the salmon were running. The visitors center is just off the parking lot — it is beautiful up there. Mark remembers the hike to the glacier as about an hour along a trail. Perhaps others who have made the excursion and the on-your-own path will chime in. Google Earth might answer some questions too. We recall the trail winding through a wilderness area through the trees (Mark says brush). We left after breakfast, went to town for lunch and then did a small group whale watch with a very small group. Out in the water that day, there were about 4 larger (maybe 100-200 passengers) boats all after the same whales. There were several ships in port that day—too many. The time before when we were in Juneau we went up Mt Roberts on the tram and checked out the bird habitat. Only ship in top that day but miserable, cold and wet. We’re looking forward to our next visit to Alaska. Make that a one mile—not one hour—hike. Easy terrain, people and children of all ages along the way.

Edited by sharpgirl

Your excursion might go places the city bus doesn’t. It seems like the bus stop was at a parking lot and then there was a hike to the glacier. Where we went was a beautiful waterfall to our right, the face of the glacier to our front and a beautiful pond between us. The pond/glacier fed a creek to the other side and the salmon were running. The visitors center is just off the parking lot — it is beautiful up there. Mark remembers the hike to the glacier as about an hour along a trail. Perhaps others who have made the excursion and the on-your-own path will chime in. Google Earth might answer some questions too. We recall the trail winding through a wilderness area through the trees (Mark says brush). We left after breakfast, went to town for lunch and then did a small group whale watch with a very small group. Out in the water that day, there were about 4 larger (maybe 100-200 passengers) boats all after the same whales. There were several ships in port that day—too many. The time before when we were in Juneau we went up Mt Roberts on the tram and checked out the bird habitat. Only ship in top that day but miserable, cold and wet. We’re looking forward to our next visit to Alaska. Make that a one mile—not one hour—hike. Easy terrain, people and children of all ages along the way.

That's a big help - thanks a lot for those details! :)

• 2 weeks later...

In Juneau, we took the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts (had coupons for buy one get one). It was a beautiful sunny day so we figured why not. Had lunch up there and then walked around and got to meet Liberty an injured bald eagle that lives up there. Beautiful views if it's clear out. Other than that, we just walked around town.

Hi ole miss Reb -- where did you find the coupons for this? Did your ship provide them? Also Island Wings coupons? Thanks.

The city bus in Juneau doesn’t go to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center, it only goes as far as the entrance of the of the Forest service area. It’s still about ¾ of a mile or so walk/hike to the visitor center. https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/regions/alaska/MendenhallGlacier/index.shtml if you have a National parks senior pass be sure to bring it, it's honored at Mendenhall visitor center.