Cuba visas

willsyboy

sailing with azamara 10th November visiting Cuba.what is the situation with visas there seems to be quite a bit of confusion about what is needed.also prefer to do tours with local companies instead of cruise ship tours with 40 people on a bus where you spend more time getting on and off.so what is update on visas and doing local tours

I believe this cruise starts and finishes in Miami. In that case, so far as I understand it from reading all the Roll-calls relating to Cuba cruises, you will need a visa issued by Azamara at a cost of $75. I understand that these regulations apply to anyone on a ship going to Cuba from the USA, no matter what country the passenger is from.

Secondly, as far as I understand it you do not have to do ship’s Excursions, but any tours you book must be operated by a tour company approved by the US govt. I imagine tour companies with this approval will say so on their website.

I am sure that others who are going on cruises to Cuba and who have, therefore, researched this for themselves will post here too and give you more detail.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bonnie just gathered this information for us. It should answer your questions.

I have more specific answers for you, and I apologize for the delay clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

1) Can a person obtain their own legal visa for Cuba in their home country or do they have to obtain one through Azamara?

Guests may obtain their own visa as long as it is the approved tourist visa to enter Cuba. If a guest purchases their own visa and it is the incorrect one, they will need to purchase a new one onboard. 

2) Are ONLY Azamara tours acceptable in order to disembark the ship in Cuba?

Guests may purchase a tour with a third-party company. However, it is the responsibility of the guest to ensure the purchased tour complies with the new US regulations, is sponsored by a US organization, and offers a full-day schedule of educational exchange activities. 

3) Are non-US citizens able to disembark inCuba with a valid Visa from their home country and not be restricted by US regulations as to where they can go and what they can do?

The new regulations apply to all guests, regardless of nationality or country of residence, since the ship is wholly-owned by a company subject to U.S. jurisdiction.

• 10 months later...

We just used Blexie in Havana and Out of the Box in Santiago de Cuba. Both terrific, and follow US guidelines. I just wrote reviews onTrip Advisor whenwe returned Dec 4th on the Journey. You do not have to take ship tours unless you prefer to do so. 

We used Havana journeys.open top Cadillac tour of Havana for 2 we paid 160cuc.In Cienfuegos we had nothing booked but as we came off the ship and through customs there was a train on wheels doing a tour.It cost us 10cuc for 2.nothing fancy guy sat in middle and told us everything.we went back to centre dropped us to explore on our own and then picked us up and back to the ship.

ps Havana journeys Richard or Ana Diane very helpful

Re $75 Visa charge - Guests may now use their OBC towards the cost of the Cuba visa when they purchase it through us at embarkation. But please be aware the older "shore-excursion only" OBC cannot be applied towards the cost of a Cuba Visa; only the generic OBC that applies to any onboard expense. 

5 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Re $75 Visa charge - Guests may now use their OBC towards the cost of the Cuba visa when they purchase it through us at embarkation. But please be aware the older "shore-excursion only" OBC cannot be applied towards the cost of a Cuba Visa; only the generic OBC that applies to any onboard expense. 

And how to the newbies know the difference?  We are getting OBC from our TA but I have no idea if that comes with any restrictions.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

And how to the newbies know the difference?  We are getting OBC from our TA but I have no idea if that comes with any restrictions.

If the OBC is from your TA it will be unrestricted and typically refundable. 

The shorex-only OBC was with a promotion we ran quite awhile back, and also in our Experience More packages.

• Thanks 1

I am unaware of any mechanism for the US government to officially approve Cuban tour companies.  If I am wrong I hope someone can point me to the relevant source.

I visited Cuba on the Journey in January.  I took a mixture of self-guided and local private tours.  Most US visitors to Cuba travel under the US provision for "Support of the Cuban People" regulation.  This provision gives very broad latitude as to the type of activities that qualify.  Just look at the Azamara tours for examples of the type of things that qualify.  It is the responsibility of the traveler to assure that the visit meets US regulations.  This is not difficult.  For example, you can book the very same activities as the Azamara tours at considerable savings.  Departing the ship in Cuba is the same as at any other port.  There is no questioning as you leave the ship as to your planned activities.  Keep your receipts in the very very very unlikely chance that at some future date the US government will question the details of your trip.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:55 PM, BBMacLaird said:

If the OBC is from your TA it will be unrestricted and typically refundable. 

The shorex-only OBC was with a promotion we ran quite awhile back, and also in our Experience More packages.

Sorry Bonnie but, not completely true in all cases.  Cruise lines have promotions with TA's whereby the TA is able to provide OBC some or all of it provided by the cruise line and in those cases the TA provided OBC is not refundable.  It is only OBC that is completely paid for by a third party including TA's that is refundable.

Your TA should be able to let you know if they are actually sending Azamara money to pay for your OBC or it is part of an Azamara promotion that will not be rufundable.

34 minutes ago, kek123 said:

Relating to the visa purchased thru Azamara, is that automatically done by Azamara or do I have to complete a form or something on line. I am a US citizen. Any guidance greatly appreciated!

Hi kek123, 

At embarkation in Miami guests fill out a simple form and are issued the visa on the spot. The fee will be charged to the onboard account, and now can be paid with OBC.

There is a form to be filled out at the terminal, as of 11/24/18 cruise, as a part of Azamara check-in.  You then get your Visa, which you carry with your passport off the ship each day.  On your first entry day into Cuba, you go through their immigration, get your passport stamped, they look at the Visa, and in Havana, our first stop, they took our photo.  After that first day, just a quick look at each entry point (we went to Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba).  There is also security checkpoint scanning of you and your packages/purses every time.  Not hard, and lines moved quite quickly in most cases.  

DiamondDiva info is correct.  In Havana the ship doesn't scan you or your items just at terminal.  However, in Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba you and your packages will be scanned on the ship as well, so you go through the process twice.  I asked about this and was told they do it because security is more loose in other ports than Havana for scanning.

Art