Which cruise line?

NIX70

Good morning everyone. I wonder if you - as the resident experts - would be very kind and give me some guidance? Whilst I'm an experienced cruiser, we are for the first time considering a multi-generational cruise. None of the cruise lines I have been on before would be suitable as they tend to be adults-only with not much entertainment (bliss!). This time we would need a cruise line that would interest everyone from a 70 year old to an 11 year old, plus a 13 year old with Downs Syndrome. She is high-functioning, doesn't need any medication, but loud noises scare her and she has completely flat feet so walking very long distances is a bit of an issue. She's also been known to have a meltdown if there's a sensory overload and her speech takes a little getting used to if you're not around her all the time. Any singing/dancing/show activity/water activity would be heaven for her. So my specific questions:

• we're from the UK, and would prefer to either sail from there or have a short flight (couple of hours max) which I think rules out Carnival (of which I have read good things on this board)
  • as this would be an experiment we would prefer not to have a big splurge cost-wise just in case.
  • we'd need one cabin for my SIL and the two children (so 3 beds) - do cruise lines offer that?
  • If we exclude Carnival due to geography and Disney due to cost (just this first time, until we know she can cope with a cruise), then which cruise lines would people recommend?

Thank you so much in advance, and my apologies if these are basic questions!

Nicola

Royal. as for cabin configuration.. if having a Pullman is not feasible just get one that has a fold out couch and split the main bed into two twins.

Royal has an EXCELLENT children's program( many kids like it better than Disney in fact). ordinarily the 11 year old would be in a different group than the 13 year old.. the teen club is much less structured so you would have to ask on board whether or not she can be moved down to the younger group. if there is room, it may be very easy to do. but no one can say for certain if it will be allowed. try and get a ship that has water slides , as Flowrider( the on board surfing) may not be doable if she has major balance issues.( body boarding could be an option.. no standing up)

finding quiet out of the way places to decompress is very easy.

consider Boardwalk cabins..they have a large picture window that looks out over the boardwalk and you can people watch all day. or a Boardwalk Balcony.

Good morning everyone. I wonder if you - as the resident experts - would be very kind and give me some guidance? Whilst I'm an experienced cruiser, we are for the first time considering a multi-generational cruise. None of the cruise lines I have been on before would be suitable as they tend to be adults-only with not much entertainment (bliss!). This time we would need a cruise line that would interest everyone from a 70 year old to an 11 year old, plus a 13 year old with Downs Syndrome. She is high-functioning, doesn't need any medication, but loud noises scare her and she has completely flat feet so walking very long distances is a bit of an issue. She's also been known to have a meltdown if there's a sensory overload and her speech takes a little getting used to if you're not around her all the time. Any singing/dancing/show activity/water activity would be heaven for her. So my specific questions:

• we're from the UK, and would prefer to either sail from there or have a short flight (couple of hours max) which I think rules out Carnival (of which I have read good things on this board)
  • as this would be an experiment we would prefer not to have a big splurge cost-wise just in case.
  • we'd need one cabin for my SIL and the two children (so 3 beds) - do cruise lines offer that?
  • If we exclude Carnival due to geography and Disney due to cost (just this first time, until we know she can cope with a cruise), then which cruise lines would people recommend?

Thank you so much in advance, and my apologies if these are basic questions!

Nicola

RCCL as previously recommended is a good choice. My great-nephew has done well on RCCL. He also has sensory issues and my neice was always able to find places to calm him. If the ship has a chapel that's always an excellent place to go for quiet.

Suggust you also post on the Family Cruise Forum as people with special kids needs don't post on the this forum all that often .

Thank you very much to both of you who posted. After much toing and froing and looking to do it the 'economy' route, I think we are going to end up with Disney....:rolleyes:

Though Disney is more expensive, beleive it will be a wonderful cruise for everyone. Your daughter will be treated like a princess !

If anyone in your party has any special needs here's the link to Disney's Special Needs Form https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-services-information-form/ It must be completed 60 days prior to the cruise date.

Being that you stated your daughter is flat footed and walking long distances can be problematic perhaps you might consider requesting wheelchair assistance for both embarkation and disembarkation days. Going through the terminal as well as getting onto the ship is generally a lengthy walk.