Who views 'priority disembarkation' as a perk? And why?

samshltn

And maybe being the very last to get off the ship when most folks are long gone won't be such a bad idea once all these newbuilds that are going to carry 5,000 plus passengers go into service and more than one dock on the same day, at the same port.

For those on a B2B, who are concerned that they are spending more time in the terminal than they would like, I have a suggestion: Choose to disembark amongst the last few passengers, at the end of the 'two hour' disembarkation process. You'll find that you pretty much get straight back on again!

Thank you ALL for your insights and opinions... I'm finding it all very interesting.

Most of what you seem to have deduced from this thread is pretty much common sense, if you think about it.

But the portion quoted is incorrect. In most B2B situations, you aren't free to disembark when you wish for quick re-entry to the ship. If you wish to re-embark quickly, you must follow the ship's protocol, which is typically meet somewhere on board at a designated time. When everyone is there, the "B2Bers" are taken off together, going through abbreviated Immigration/Customs process, then brought back to a staging area to wait for the official clearance of the ship. It is this wait, in our several experiences almost always standing, for the last people to clear off the ship, that is aggravating to those people waiting to re-board.

We have been in this group about 6 or 7 times now, and there is usually paging going on the ship, looking for the last XX number of people (usually a small number, 2 or 4) who have not yet left the ship, even though final call has been done.

We usually have an 8 or 9 hour drive home and we like to get on the road as soon as possible. I really don't enjoy being on the ship on the debarkation morning because you really can't do anything. I'm also ready to get home and see my dog!

Most of what you seem to have deduced from this thread is pretty much common sense, if you think about it.

But the portion quoted is incorrect. In most B2B situations, you aren't free to disembark when you wish for quick re-entry to the ship. If you wish to re-embark quickly, you must follow the ship's protocol, which is typically meet somewhere on board at a designated time. When everyone is there, the "B2Bers" are taken off together, going through abbreviated Immigration/Customs process, then brought back to a staging area to wait for the official clearance of the ship. It is this wait, in our several experiences almost always standing, for the last people to clear off the ship, that is aggravating to those people waiting to re-board.

We have been in this group about 6 or 7 times now, and there is usually paging going on the ship, looking for the last XX number of people (usually a small number, 2 or 4) who have not yet left the ship, even though final call has been done.

Agree. Thanks for posting the correct info. That has been our experiences on all of our B2B cruises. On our last B2B cruise (April 2017) out of San Juan on the Jewel I left the ship prior to the rest of the B2Bers. I was given an in transit card which gave me priority embarkation but I could not proceed back on the ship until all the stragglers were off the ship and the B2B cruisers that stayed on the ship like my wife went through the B2B process. On that cruise the B2B cruisers didn't have to leave the ship and then embark again. The procedures were all taken care of in the main theater. But only after all the stragglers finally kicked off the ship.

Edited by davekathy

Agree. Thanks for posting the correct info. That has been our experiences on all of our B2B cruise. On our last B2B cruise (April 2017) out of San Juan on the Jewel I left the ship prior to the rest of the B2Bers. I was given an in transit card which gave me priority embarkation but I could not proceed back on the ship until all the stragglers were off the ship and the B2B cruisers that stayed on the ship like my wife went through the B2B process. On that cruise the B2B cruisers didn't have to leave the ship and then embark again. The procedures were all taken care of in the main theater. But only after all the stragglers finally got off the ship.

Thank you. I forgot to mention this emptying of the ship prior to the B2Bers returning only applies to US ports. In non-US ports B2Bers are allowed to come and go as they please, just as if the B2B port were a regular port stop, although it has been our experience that B2Bers don't use the same exit off the ship to go ashore. On our last non-US B2B port, we used the crew gangway. The people getting the ship used the main gangway.

In non-US ports B2Bers are allowed to come and go as they please, just as if the B2B port were a regular port stop

I'm scheduled for my first B2B this summer, although it's only technically one because the ship has to reposition for 2 days before the main event--it's not 2 "real" cruises. I've heard tell that I'm going to have to disembark and wait in a "holding area" (holding pen?) and then get back on. It's not a US port--it's Southampton. I guess I'll see when I get there. I assume I'll need to bring it up when I check in, if they don't? I mean, I will either way. I don't even need to ask if I should. I'm certainly not going to wait until we're pulling in to Southampton to go down to Guest Services and find out they have no plans for me. :-)

In answer to the original question, I'm happy to disembark on the later side if I have a choice, if for no other reason than because I don't want to be getting up crazy early (not that you can avoid it with all the announcements). But basically, my disembarkation is when it needs to be, depending on when my flight is (assuming there's a flight). I aim to arrive around 10-10:30 for embarkation and want to get on as soon as they start letting people on.

I'm scheduled for my first B2B this summer, although it's only technically one because the ship has to reposition for 2 days before the main event--it's not 2 "real" cruises. I've heard tell that I'm going to have to disembark and wait in a "holding area" (holding pen?) and then get back on. It's not a US port--it's Southampton.

This sounds like you are doing a Hamburg - Southampton - New York crossing on QM2

if so, don't sweat it ..... Cunard does this all the time and our experience was no more involved than the average port call ....

The cruise is over. The next part of the trip is beginning.

I'd just as soon get out of the crew's way and get on with things. If I have a late flight, I book a tour, or head into town to look around. There's no reason to spend hours on end at the airport. If I have a land vacation after the cruise, I head to the hotel or apartment, stash my bags, and start the other part of my trip.

We like the perk at certain times. When we drive to the port there is no hurry to get off the ship. We are in northern Illinois and it’s a long day of travel when we fly. So we like the perk of getting off early, and on our way home.

What ports do you usually drive to? I am in Central Indiana and would love to cruise more, it’s the addition of airfare for 3 that usually stops us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums