Rotterdam Lanai Cabins after the Nov 2017 drydock

TAD2005

We just booked a lanai cabin (#3376) on the Rotterdam for the 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise of March 11, 2018. I have checked cabin pictures on that site that features cabin pictures, and I can't see where a mini-fridge would fit under the desk. Question.... is there a mini-fridge in all lanai cabins on the Rotterdam ? Actually, I can't see HAL passing up another source of revenue, so it must be there, I just can't find it in the pictures.

Also, the Nov. drydock was supposed to install the large, flat-screen TV's that have on-demand movies, in cabins. After drydock, are the new 48" TV's in the lanai cabins, or just the Vista Suites and up ? Or do I need to bring my own DVD's with an HDMI cable to feed my laptop into the small flat-screen TV over near the desk ?

The inside and outside cabins on the S- and R-class ships (the Rotterdam is R-class) have never had a fridge in them. When the Rotterdam installed Lanai cabins back in '09 they were not added, and there really isn't any room for one.

The cabins that remained as strictly outsides do still have room for one under the desk (as do the insides) where someone would put their legs while seated, or on top, taking up the surface area. A fridge can be rented, best done in advance, for $2/day.

... Also, the Nov. drydock was supposed to install the large, flat-screen TV's that have on-demand movies, in cabins. After drydock, are the new 48" TV's in the lanai cabins, or just the Vista Suites and up ? Or do I need to bring my own DVD's with an HDMI cable to feed my laptop into the small flat-screen TV over near the desk ?

I can't speak to the Lanai's, but we had a Vista Suite on the Rotterdam over Christmas, and we still had the basic computer-monitor-style TV near the desk, certainly not the 48" wall-mount units that we've had on other HAL ships.

If the old TVs are still there, the old DVD players should still be there, too. So should the library of DVDs be available at the Front Desk.

Not saying all these are (I don't know one way or the other), but if nothing was changed to add, it's reasonable to think nothing was changed to subtract, either.

If the old TVs are still there, the old DVD players should still be there, too. So should the library of DVDs be available at the Front Desk.

Not saying all these are (I don't know one way or the other), but if nothing was changed to add, it's reasonable to think nothing was changed to subtract, either.

Yes, the old DVD players were also there in the Vista Suites, under the old TV's... taking up two of three 110 V electrical outlets in the room.

Again, I can't confirm for the Lanais (or the DVD library), but they should be the same.

Thanks for all of the information. I assume the old, smaller, flat-screen TV's and DVD player are still at the desk, and the DVD library is still at the front deck.

I'm still confused by the mini fridge. On the HAL website (and we know everything there is 100% accurate !!) for the Rotterdam cabin descriptions, the Pinnacle, Neptune, and Vista Suites have the following in their detail descriptions "mini-bar, refrigerator," and also " No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining".

In the Lanai cabin description, they have "No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining". They do not mention refrigerator. But what is a "no-host minibar" ? I always thought a mini-bar was a small fridge with beers, wines, liquors, soda, mixers, all there for "easy entertaining". I would hope they don't refer to the ice bucket, tongs, a pair of glasses and a tray as a "no-host minibar".

The Ocean View and Inside cabins do not specify a "no-host minibar", but they do say you have a "Elegant ice bucket and serving tray for in-room beverages". It would appear now that for the lanai cabins, the "elegant ice bucket" that is in the OV and Inside cabins is referred to as a "no-host minibar" for lanai cabins. How can I do "easy entertaining" with warm beer, warm white wine, or warm sodas and no fridge ? Yes, I can put ice cubes in my sodas, but not in beer or white wine.

An update to my above post. I entered an online chat with a HAL representative. I questioned the refrigerator in a Rotterdam Lanai cabin. I asked it the "No-Host Minibar" listed on the HAL website was a refrigerator. The agent, Philip, responded "[Philip] That is correct, it is a refrigerator with snacks and drinks.". I think I will save and print this chat and take it to the front desk if there's no fridge. I will mention that "everything that Seattle says can be taken as Gospel".

• 1 month later...
An update to my above post. I entered an online chat with a HAL representative. I questioned the refrigerator in a Rotterdam Lanai cabin. I asked it the "No-Host Minibar" listed on the HAL website was a refrigerator. The agent, Philip, responded "[Philip] That is correct, it is a refrigerator with snacks and drinks.". I think I will save and print this chat and take it to the front desk if there's no fridge. I will mention that "everything that Seattle says can be taken as Gospel".

Ahh, the gospel according to HAL...

Snacks? Since when does HAL put snacks in the mini fridge? I'm trying to picture the contents of my fridge on our last cruise. I remember soda, beer, mini bottles of liquor, but no snacks.

Please come back and tell us what the front desk had to say.

On the Rotterdam in January. The lanai cabin (3323) did not have a refrigerator.

Also there was no signage on the deck chairs indicating they were for guests in the lanai cabins. I went to inquire at the front desk and was told that the signage for the chairs had not been received but I could call the front desk or the room steward and they would send someone up to advise passengers about the deck chairs. They told me I could ask the passenger to move. I was disappointed but never called the front desk nor did I become the "chair Police" Better luck to you!

We had a lanai cabin on the Rotterdam in January. They do not put the reserve tags on the chairs until you make the request at Guess Services for it to be done or ask your steward. Once the tag was on the chair the other passengers honored the request.

Roy

On the Rotterdam in January. The lanai cabin (3323) did not have a refrigerator.

Also there was no signage on the deck chairs indicating they were for guests in the lanai cabins. I went to inquire at the front desk and was told that the signage for the chairs had not been received but I could call the front desk or the room steward and they would send someone up to advise passengers about the deck chairs. They told me I could ask the passenger to move. I was disappointed but never called the front desk nor did I become the "chair Police" Better luck to you!

We were in a Lanai cabin over Thanksgiving and experienced the same thing. The last thing that I want to do is confront someone to get out of my chair when they have no way of knowing they were reserved. I was VERY disappointed with the Lanai cabin and would never take one again. The cabin was very cramped due the the need to rearrange the furniture from the outside cabin arrangement and the door leading to the outside deck was hard to open and would slam shut as soon as to released it. The best thing about the entire cruise on the Rotterdam was the New York Pizza place.

We just booked a lanai cabin (#3376) on the Rotterdam for the 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise of March 11, 2018. I have checked cabin pictures on that site that features cabin pictures, and I can't see where a mini-fridge would fit under the desk. Question.... is there a mini-fridge in all lanai cabins on the Rotterdam ? Actually, I can't see HAL passing up another source of revenue, so it must be there, I just can't find it in the pictures.

Also, the Nov. drydock was supposed to install the large, flat-screen TV's that have on-demand movies, in cabins. After drydock, are the new 48" TV's in the lanai cabins, or just the Vista Suites and up ? Or do I need to bring my own DVD's with an HDMI cable to feed my laptop into the small flat-screen TV over near the desk ?

My wife and I are booked in 3376 for the TA leaving Tampa on 15 April. Hope you like the cabin and can report on same after your cruise. Interested in knowing most of the same things you are concerned with in the cabin. Fridge? TV? 110v AC outlets? Reserved chairs on 'our balcony'. Room steward service, name would be nice. Possible problems, noise etc. Any info will be appreciated.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife and I are booked in 3376 for the TA leaving Tampa on 15 April. Hope you like the cabin and can report on same after your cruise. Interested in knowing most of the same things you are concerned with in the cabin. Fridge? TV? 110v AC outlets? Reserved chairs on 'our balcony'. Room steward service, name would be nice. Possible problems, noise etc. Any info will be appreciated.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jim, we will report back when we disembark sometime after March 25. I don;t hold out too much hope that there will be a fridge, unless we decide to pay $2 a day for it.