Veendam Interior or OV Staterooms - When size matters and the risk of guarantees

Epicureangirl

I had a reservation for two people on the Veendam, and had carefully selected an interior stateroom on the Lower Promenade, so I was only steps away from going outside. We will be docked in Bermuda for 4 days, so thought it would be nice to see what's going on, without the noise & light at the dock.

I then thought to invite my mother along (a first time cruiser), and now we are 3 to a cabin, so I want the largest possible cabin without buying a suite.

Based on recommendations on this board, I found the main deck to still have available one of the largest Interior staterooms (K548 & K549) which have a sideways orientation to the hallway. I moved my reservation this morning and paid the difference (though I had to give up the LP location). I believe I am at about 225 feet now (the max for this category).

So finally (yes, I do go on), if I was to try and find an Ocean View that accommodates 3 persons and is even LARGER, which rooms should I be looking for? Is there anything larger on the Lower Promenade (which I would love to get back to).

The Ocean View categories max out at 255 sq feet -- but is that only for the accessible rooms?

PART 2 :D

If I can't find a larger Ocean View to switch my reservation to, should I make sure I take the Guarantee note off my room so that they do not move us? I am guessing that as a category K, I could be moved to even a J which would be a smaller interior cabin.

As an aside, last month I was upgraded to a HUGE Ocean View accessible room, which was great for 3 people. I booked directly with HAL. Would you "roll the dice" hoping for an upgrade you like, or lock-down the Large K Interior stateroom that I have booked?

If you read to the end of my post, I thank you for your patience! (y)

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade on the Veendam (and Maasdam) are smaller than the inside cabins on the same deck. Those insides are smaller than the outsides on the lower decks.

There are a few outsides in the very aft, along a short passageway to the outside, that are a different configuration; I don't know how those would be for three.

I have stayed in cabin 549 on two different ships, and found it roomy. It is right next to the elevators/staircase, so getting outside is about as quick as it would be from many LP insides.

My only concern for three people in that cabin would be closet space. My memory is that there are two full closets, and the one with shelving and some low-level hanging space.

I used to love cabin 345 on LP, but once I stayed in 549, it became my favorite cabin on the ship.

If I were you, I would keep 549, and put a 'do not upgrade' on my booking. But do consider closet space before you do that.

Thank you so much RuthC -- I'm so glad you have posted because I wanted to THANK YOU for one of your old posts about this cabin. That is how I made the switch to 549 in the first place!

As this is only a 7-day, and my mum is a light-packer I don't think the reduced closet space will be an issue -- thanks for that great piece of information though.

The proximity to the stairs will make it easier to pop on to the LP deck -- thanks for pointing that out.

Do you happen to recall if there is a fridge in the stateroom or is that (still) only for suites? I had noticed that on occasion, the larger rooms on older ships have had a fridge in place of a side-table near the sofa.

Thanks so much.

Do you happen to recall if there is a fridge in the stateroom or is that (still) only for suites? I had noticed that on occasion, the larger rooms on older ships have had a fridge in place of a side-table near the sofa.

There's no fridge. On the S- and R-class ships, the only cabins with a fridge are the ones with a balcony. You can rent one for $2/day. You will have an ice bucket, though.

There was no end table by the couch in this cabin. Since the couch is full size, not a love seat, there is no room for the end table. The full size couch flips to become the third bed.

We were just on the Veendam in room 817, an OV on A deck that was just a few steps from the stairs and elevator. We loved the room, which would have slept a 3rd person.

On that note, I just couldn't see it being reasonable or comfortable. The 3rd bed was a pull out sofa that would have blocked the other 2 beds from the bathroom and door. To sleep on it closed would have been terribly uncomfortable because it was miserable to just sit on.

There was more than enough closet space for 3 people.

We were just on the Veendam in room 817, an OV on A deck that was just a few steps from the stairs and elevator. We loved the room, which would have slept a 3rd person.

On that note, I just couldn't see it being reasonable or comfortable. The 3rd bed was a pull out sofa that would have blocked the other 2 beds from the bathroom and door. To sleep on it closed would have been terribly uncomfortable because it was miserable to just sit on.

There was more than enough closet space for 3 people.

when we were on the Z in December we had an partial view oceanview room on thr upper promenade. All glass wall faced the ocean. The room was very small with 3 adults in it. I was concerned at first but room steward took the loveseat turned it so when he pulled out bed it faced the window. Also put the end table under the desk. Lots of storage the room was great. 4088

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, now I am curious what this sofa bed is like in a stateroom for 3 (I assume rooms for 4 have a different setup). On Volendam, the sofa doesn't actually pull out -- it flips over in place, so that you have a mattress instead of the sofa cushions. My daughter said it was very comfortable. I was hoping it would be the same, because then it doesn't take up any additional room.

when we were on the Z in December we had an partial view oceanview room on thr upper promenade. All glass wall faced the ocean. The room was very small with 3 adults in it. I was concerned at first but room steward took the loveseat turned it so when he pulled out bed it faced the window. Also put the end table under the desk. Lots of storage the room was great. 4088

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, now I am curious what this sofa bed is like in a stateroom for 3 (I assume rooms for 4 have a different setup). On Volendam, the sofa doesn't actually pull out -- it flips over in place, so that you have a mattress instead of the sofa cushions. My daughter said it was very comfortable. I was hoping it would be the same, because then it doesn't take up any additional room.

The Zuiderdam is an entirely different ship from the Veendam. RuthC is an expert on interior cabins, I am pretty sure she can give you good info (y)

Thanks for your confidence in me, Venn. (Have I mentioned how much I love your name?)

I presume from the context that the reference to the "Z" above means the Zuiderdam, and not the Zaandam. The Zuiderdam has cabins on Upper Promenade, which the Zaandam does not. The cabins on the Zaandam, however, are like those on the Veendam; the Zuiderdam cabins are not.

The Veendam cabins are larger in the same class than cabins on the Zuiderdam. The outside cabins are also a different shape, and configuration, than on the Zuiderdam. Bringing mention of that ship into the discussion only serves to confuse the issue.

The 3rd berth on the Veendam inside cabin will be a flip-over couch, and not take up any additional floor space.

As you enter cabin 549 the couch extends immediately away from you on your right. The twin beds are just beyond that. If those beds are split, there will be a small walkway between the foot of the bed and the head of the 3rd berth. There will be plenty of walking space off the side of the 3rd berth.

The 3rd berth on the Veendam inside cabin will be a flip-over couch, and not take up any additional floor space.

As you enter cabin 549 the couch extends immediately away from you on your right. The twin beds are just beyond that. If those beds are split, there will be a small walkway between the foot of the bed and the head of the 3rd berth. There will be plenty of walking space off the side of the 3rd berth.

I think this will be very comfortable. Thanks for the description of the layout and the confirmation of the flip-over sofa for the 3rd passenger. (y)