Change in Vendor for Onboard Shops

stickey_mouse

I am a shopper and cruise atfer HAL rfuise, I have walked through the shops and there is nohingi n the shops I would give suitcase spactgo e. . The merchandise has been so boring, unappealing and not a thing to even look at for a very long time. Too late now, for me, as I am done b uying more stuff. I want to get rid of my 'stuf'f at this point, not load more into my house.

Totally agree with you - you can buy a lot of it in thrift stores after the passengers feel the same as you!

We buy a magnet with the name of the ship for our refrigerator. That's how we keep count of our cruises. I think the next one in April is #32.

The best items we purchased are our posters of ships. Two we bought on Cunard's QEII and one on the Ryndam. They are beautiful wall-hangings. I'd buy more of those.

As far as jewelry, I love looking at the pretty pieces that they carry and then find the same piece at home, usually much less expensively.

But I do like looking at the shops.

I remember those! They were fabulous. And, yes I bought one. If they brought those back I bet they would be sold out in no time ;)

At another time, they were selling his equally impressive book "The Spotless Fleet" but it wasn't in the gift shops, it was at the Explorations Cafe, along with the cook books

5158HXKuT1L._SS500_.jpg

We wish they would sell reproductions of the old HAL advertising posters. Maybe a bit smaller, like an 11 x 13". Some of those ad posters were beautiful.

There are some really cool ones, a lot of them have been used in the "Royal Goedewagen" ceramic tiles:

holland_america_poster_0423.jpg

halposterold.jpg

holland-america-line-dirksen-dk.jpg

At another time, they were selling his equally impressive book "The Spotless Fleet" but it wasn't in the gift shops, it was at the Explorations Cafe, along with the cook books

5158HXKuT1L._SS500_.jpg

IWe were thrilled to receive book as a gift and I have greatly enjoyed it.

Thanks! Good to know. But I still say HAL is missing out on potential sales by not selling this kind of thing in their shops.

Agreed 100% - On Amsterdam's 2017 world cruise, they gave out small serving dishes with six different posters on them, as gifts during the Captain's PG dinner. They were very popular

In my opinion, having ship specific logo items are something that I would be much more likely to buy than generic HAL stuff. Having destination identified items for my cruise would also tempt me to spend some dollars. And, what about post cards? Relatives and friends of mine still like to receive these even if I have have returned days/weeks before they arrive.

I thought we were the only people that still bought postcards. I was able to get ship postcards from the front desk on the Veendam.

We try to acquire ship postcards and postcards from each port. Then one night we write a note on each one, stick them in an envelope, and send them from our final port or when we disembark, to our kids, our only surviving parent, our 95 year old aunt, and business associates in another state. They expect and enjoy them.

I thought we were the only people that still bought postcards. I was able to get ship postcards from the front desk on the Veendam.

We try to acquire ship postcards and postcards from each port. Then one night we write a note on each one, stick them in an envelope, and send them from our final port or when we disembark, to our kids, our only surviving parent, our 95 year old aunt, and business associates in another state. They expect and enjoy them.

I like your idea of gathering them all and sending them in one envelope. Never thought of that. The only disadvantage that I can see would be not using foreign stamps for those that enjoy seeing them. But, an advantage would be, it would probably cost me less. The price to mail a postcard from Argentina was ridiculous and I mailed mine from Montevideo. It was about 50% less.

There is a HAL book called THE ART OF CRUISING that they used to sell on board with art from all the older ships. I bought it from Amazon for a lot less and it's really great. I wonder if the new company will still sell cigs and liquor.

It is a b eautiful book and hold s a special place in my collection of coffee table books.

We just got off the Oosterdam on 2/18. I’m a 4 star Mariner, but it was my husband’s first cruise. He really wanted a t-shirt, but most only came in medium. There was nothing in an XL to buy. I’m not a big ship shopper, but something from our first cruise together might have been nice.

Agreed 100% - On Amsterdam's 2017 world cruise, they gave out small serving dishes with six different posters on them, as gifts during the Captain's PG dinner. They were very popular

They sound really nice I would love to receive one of them.

We just got off the Oosterdam on 2/18. I’m a 4 star Mariner, but it was my husband’s first cruise. He really wanted a t-shirt, but most only came in medium. There was nothing in an XL to buy. I’m not a big ship shopper, but something from our first cruise together might have been nice.

I understand your disappointment and am sorry you could not get him a gt shirt..... seems a simple enough fthing they should have in stock. IMO I am sure many people seek an XL

He really wanted a t-shirt, but most only came in medium. There was nothing in an XL to buy.

My husband is 6’4”, ex-basketball player in college. He is actually lean, but a large boned, tall guy. He wears a XXL.

We almost always end up buying a T-shirt ashore for him. I would love a cruise-specific shirt for him in his size!