zip line/canopy tour - Ketchikan

kathyemma

Has anyone here done the zip line in Labadee and a zip line in Ketchikan? I HATED the one in Labadee. I did it once. Hated it. I signed up again a few years later, chickened out at the last minute. I am terrified of heights. How high up is the one in Ketchikan? It is over the forest, not the ocean so I am wondering if I will still be terrified. I am trying to decide if I should join my family or go off and do something on my own. Really, the only reason I would even consider doing it is to see wildlife. We are going the last week of May, first week of June.

Kathy

I did the Ketchikan Alaska Canopy Adventures "Rainforest Canopy" zipline in May '16. I do not like heights either. I was determined to do the course and I'm **GLAD** I did. Don't even worry about how high you are. When you step off the platform look straight ahead and not down. You will be fine. The first couple lines I was pretty nervous. By the end I could have easily gone through the course and been very comfortable. The guides were very nice, helpful and patient. We loved it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'm a big chicken. Don't be a chicken. :D

Me

33248465420_dd6c4a37f2_b.jpg

Thank you!

Did you see any wildlife in May? If so, what?

My doctor said he would give me xanax if I wanted. Should I? Seriously, I HATED the one in Labadee.

Kathy

I did the Ketchikan Alaska Canopy Adventures "Rainforest Canopy" zipline in May '16. I do not like heights either. I was determined to do the course and I'm **GLAD** I did. Don't even worry about how high you are. When you step off the platform look straight ahead and not down. You will be fine. The first couple lines I was pretty nervous. By the end I could have easily gone through the course and been very comfortable. The guides were very nice, helpful and patient. We loved it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'm a big chicken. Don't be a chicken. :D

Me

33248465420_dd6c4a37f2_b.jpg

It was the 2nd week of May. We didn't see anything that I can remember. They have two courses - the one we did and the other is called (I think) "Bear Creek" - on that one you go over a creek that might have bears. If you're with a group and don't want to zipline and everyone else does I believe they have a walking tour of the rainforest that would basically keep you with everyone else. There were two ladies who rode back into town with us who did the zipline and they had done the nature walk. Their location is south out of town several miles.

I have not been to Alaska for 20 years and am returning in May.... Looking at all the excursions available now is just overwhelming....and since you are asking my opinion here it is....

First of all I have been on enough zip lines to never have a desire to go again..first one "the original" in Costa Rica...15+ years ago...I only say this cuz when I saw zip lines offered in Alaska, I think why would one want to zip line in Alaska? When there are so many other options and today there are thousands of zip lines through out the world.

You said you hated the one in Labadee...why would you even try another? Go solo on an excursion...that you can see wildlife, if that is your interest, don't spend energy and time on an excursion, that you have questions about.

In Ketchikan....I chose a snorkel excursion...yes, you can snorkel in Alaska.

Whatever you decide make a choice that you will not second guess, maybe someone in your group will decide to join you... Good Luck...

Edited by land lover

Cool...........Is this a photo they took?

Me

33248465420_dd6c4a37f2_b.jpg[/quoite]is this a photo they took?

Cool...........Is this a photo they took?

Me

33248465420_dd6c4a37f2_b.jpg[/quoite]is this a photo they took?

Yes, on the last line. They have a photographer taking them as you approach the final platform. It was fun!

First of all I have been on enough zip lines to never have a desire to go again..first one "the original" in Costa Rica...15+ years ago...I only say this cuz when I saw zip lines offered in Alaska, I think why would one want to zip line in Alaska? When there are so many other options and today there are thousands of zip lines through out the world.

My answer is: Because not everyone lives where there are zip lines. Some people also think it's rather fun. When I go on a vacation/trip I tend to do things I can't do at home.

Yes, on the last line. They have a photographer taking them as you approach the final platform. It was fun!

My answer is: Because not everyone lives where there are zip lines. Some people also think it's rather fun. When I go on a vacation/trip I tend to do things I can't do at home.

But almost everywhere you travel now they are an option.....Guess I look at Alaska as being a natural discovery not thrill seeking rides:D.glad you had a wonderful experience...

But almost everywhere you travel now they are an option.....Guess I look at Alaska as being a natural discovery not thrill seeking rides:D.glad you had a wonderful experience...

That's why there's Macintosh and Windows; Ford, Mercedes, Nissan; zip lines and whale watching. Not everyone has the same interests and likes/dislikes. I personally try to not knock what other people contribute - I can only offer my opinion and information from my experiences. It's up to each person to decide what they want to do.

• 4 months later...
Has anyone here done the zip line in Labadee and a zip line in Ketchikan? I HATED the one in Labadee. I did it once. Hated it. I signed up again a few years later, chickened out at the last minute. I am terrified of heights. How high up is the one in Ketchikan? It is over the forest, not the ocean so I am wondering if I will still be terrified. I am trying to decide if I should join my family or go off and do something on my own. Really, the only reason I would even consider doing it is to see wildlife. We are going the last week of May, first week of June.

Kathy

So did you do it? I am considering the zip line excursion in Ketchikan because my travel partner (my 25 yo daughter) loves them. The other days we will be seeing animals and nature. I don't love heights but I kinda want to try this. Looking for lots of opinions. Leaning towards trying it. Once.

So did you do it? I am considering the zip line excursion in Ketchikan because my travel partner (my 25 yo daughter) loves them. The other days we will be seeing animals and nature. I don't love heights but I kinda want to try this. Looking for lots of opinions. Leaning towards trying it. Once.

I didn't do it. My family did it and it poured the entire time. They still had fun. I got off the ship and hopped on a last minute bus tour and had a wonderful time. If you do it, bring rain pants. In one of the write ups it said rain gear provided, it was not. They were pretty wet when it was done. My daughter LOVED the guides!

Kathy