Questions about Alaska Cruise

JAN1

Star Princess on June 2nd and looking for good ideas for excursions. I saw a few groupon excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan but not sure if its better to take the excursions through the ship. We are also flying into Anchorage on May 29th, renting a car, and planning on driving to Denali for 2 nights. Than driving back on June 1st and take a bus tour over to Whittier on June 2nd to get the ship. By Denali we are staying at White Moose Lodge in Healy because it was very reasonable. In Anchorage we are staying first night at LongHouse Alaska Hotel on May 29th and Puffin Hotel on June 1st before getting over to the ship on June 2nd. Does this sound like a good plan? Has anyone ever stay at any of the these hotels? The hotels close to Denali National Park were pretty expensive. On June 9th we are staying overnight at Moda Hotel in Vancouver Than fly back on June 10th. Any other suggestions? In Juneau we saw a city tour and tour to take you over to Mendenhall Glacier. Is that a good one? Wanted to fly over glacier and land but very expensive and not sure thats worth it. Any other suggestions?? Thanks

Did you ever stay in Healy overnight? We have a reservation at White Moose Lodge which was quite reasonable compared to other places closer to Denali. Planning on driving from Anchorage to Denali. Would there be any advantage to taking the train there as opposed to driving? Was wondering how the drive from Anchorage to Denali are was?

Janice

We have a reservation at White Moose Lodge which was quite reasonable compared to other places closer to Denali. Planning on driving from Anchorage to Denali. Would there be any advantage to taking the train there as opposed to driving? Was wondering how the drive from Anchorage to Denali are was?Janice

I've stayed at the White Moose Lodge twice. It's not fancy, but it was clean and cheap. And conveniently located.

Denali: Drive. The views from the train aren't any better than the road and it takes longer. Plus, when you get to Denali you'll need that car to get to the White Moose Lodge.

If you want a train ride, use the Alaska Railroad to get to Whittier for your cruise.

Thanks for the info It is a lot less money to just rent a car and drive to Denali. We want to save some money for excursions Have you ever taken a helicopter and landed on Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau? We are thinking about doing that tour but not sure if we should book that privately. Many companies do that so you can walk on the glacier. Is that worth the money or better to just see Mendenhall Glacier by bus? We will probably just take a bus to Whittier that stops at Alaska Wildlife on the way to the port. I heard that was a nice plae to see.

Janice

We stayed two nights at the Denali Park Hotel at Healy. It's another place that's clean but not fancy - the lobby/office is in an Alaska Rail Road boxcar and there are two more boxcars that some of the staff live in - they are right near the highway but the actual motel rooms are set further back. It had wifi and satellite television so it was fine with us. We liked the manager a lot - she was a hoot! The 2nd night we also had a moose visiting very close to our room window... ;p Driving would be by choice though I've not rode the train. My advice is to double your estimate on travel time though. Mostly because there is SO MUCH TO SEE. You'll want to make multiple photo stops. A good stop along the way is Talkeetna. It's about 15-20 minutes out of your way but it's a cool little town. That might be a good spot for lunch on your way to or from Healy.

We also did a helicopter at Juneau with a glacier landing. Who we used was Coastal Helicopters. I think it was about $300 per person. Total time from lift-off at the airport until you're back is about an hour. I thought it was worth it. We didn't land on Mendenhall, but on Herbert Glacier. I think they might land on different glaciers depending on (possibly) weather, traffice, etc. I would do it again! But if you think you might never have the opportunity I would say do it. It's very interesting - the glacier is much wider than I anticipated - it's also deceiving when you're flying over it because there is nothing to give a sense of scale - no buildings, no power line, nothing. I didn't realize how bit ig was until the pilot pointed out another helicopter had landed under us. When I saw how tiny the helicopter looked is when I realized just how big the glacier is. WOW!

You're going to love Alaska!

we are deciding on staying at White Moose Lodge or Denali Park Hotel They are only a mile from each other. Denali Park Hotel is more expensive and neither give you any breakfast. Also deciding if we want to just go to Mendenhall Glacier to see it or we want to splurge and spend on the money and take a helicopter ride and walk on the glacier. Big difference in cost but may not go back to do it again. Also want to take the tram up to the restaurant if its a clear day. Any other suggestions for excursions in Skagway, Ketchichan or Juneau?

Janice

we are deciding on staying at White Moose Lodge or Denali Park Hotel They are only a mile from each other. Denali Park Hotel is more expensive and neither give you any breakfast. Also deciding if we want to just go to Mendenhall Glacier to see it or we want to splurge and spend on the money and take a helicopter ride and walk on the glacier. Big difference in cost but may not go back to do it again. Also want to take the tram up to the restaurant if its a clear day. Any other suggestions for excursions in Skagway, Ketchichan or Juneau?

Janice

If you decide you'd like to walk on a glacier and have an extra half day or so while driving in Alaska you can go to Matanuska Glacier. It's on the Glenn Highway about 65 miles east of where the Glenn and Parks highways separate at Palmer, AK. You can drive to within about 1/2 mile of the glacier then walk to it and on it. You have to drive across private land and pay to do it (maybe $30 per person) but it's cheaper than a helicopter flight.

Would this be on the way to Denali National Park? I really want to be able to walk on a glacier if possible. This is our first trip to Alaska. How would I find out the hours its open and directions? Is there a website to see it and get directions?

Janice

Would this be on the way to Denali National Park? I really want to be able to walk on a glacier if possible. This is our first trip to Alaska. How would I find out the hours its open and directions? Is there a website to see it and get directions?

Janice

It's not EXACTLY on your way to Denali. It would be about 65 miles out of your way. It would probably take you 90 minutes to get there, 2-3 hours at the glacier and then 90 minutes back. Like I said, it would probably be about a half day total. If it's tourist season it will be open. Here's a map to give you the general idea of where it's located. Alaska is not difficult to travel around in because there are only a few main highways. If you have a portable GPS take it along with you - it's great for being able to keep up with how much further you have until arrival. Also, the days in Alaska during the summer are *LONG* - you're most likely not going to run out of daylight.

25499674657_2f7e5d50e9_o.jpg

Do you think we could leave Denali National Park area and drive to see Matanuska Glacier on the way back to Anchorage? We could either go there before we go to Denali or after on our way back to Anchorage. Also I saw that there were tours there. Is that recommended since we don't have shoes with spikes to grip the ice? We never walked on a glacier before. The only other opportunity would be in Juneau on our cruise to take the helicopter up and walk on Mendenhall Glacier. We are a couple in our 60s and it is our first time in Alaska. Also would the google maps on our Iphone work on the highways?

Janice

I just looked up some glacier hikes at Matanuska. It would be a good idea to do one of those hikes because of the glacier boots - being in a group would be a good idea too for the safety aspect. I would definitely contact one of the tour operators (the one I was looking at is called NOVALASKA) ahead of time and make your arrangements if this is what you decide to do. You don't want to be disappointed by showing up the day you're there and they are booked up. Getting there on your drive back to Anchorage would be doable if you didn't mess around leaving Healy that morning. I wouldn't count on using Google Maps on your phone because cellphone service might be sporadic - it might work just fine though. You will be passing through some very rural areas where there might not be that many towers and Google Maps requires internet.

Good luck!

Thank you. I just looked up Nova Alaska and they have a trekking tour for 3 and a half hours at 930 and 230 fur 90 dollars plus we would pay 20 each to get in. We would have to do the afternoon tour and then drive back to Anchorage. So we would have to leave Healy in the morning if June 1st and drive to Palmer to get the tour at 230. DThen drive to Anchorage I guess if it stays light enough we could do that. What time does it get dark at that time in Alaska? Would not want to drive back to Anchorage in the dark.

Thank you. I just looked up Nova Alaska and they have a trekking tour for 3 and a half hours at 930 and 230 fur 90 dollars plus we would pay 20 each to get in. We would have to do the afternoon tour and then drive back to Anchorage. So we would have to leave Healy in the morning if June 1st and drive to Palmer to get the tour at 230. DThen drive to Anchorage I guess if it stays light enough we could do that. What time does it get dark at that time in Alaska? Would not want to drive back to Anchorage in the dark.

It won't get totally dark on you at that time of the year. It will get dim. On June 1st the sunrise at Healy will be around 3:50 AM. Sunset in Anchorage that same day will be 11:20 PM. But it will not get completely dark. It might still be light enough to drive without headlights if it's a clear "night".