Price differences Uk-US

di T

Hi everyone! We have a b2b coming up April/May I have paid final payment on both, the April cruise has dropped in recent weeks and shows quite a few available cabins. I use an agent from the states and she says it would cost a lot for me to upgrade. But on Celebrity UK the prices for GTYs are a lot cheaper and they show a lot of cabins available.Anyone know why cabins are sold out in USA but not here in the UK? Dianne:confused:

We are in MX and have observed the same availability in the US and MX sites at the current exchange rate. The upgrades and discounts policies are different in each country. If you book with a US agent, the most likely thing is that you can obtain the free upgrade. For our case in Eclipse March 18 there have been significant price drops, we were denied the upgrade when roll call partners were granted. We were also denied the discount on B2B cruises. Sometimes I think that it is the laws of each country that make Celebrity act in one way or another. In some countries the rights of consumers are protected and not in others. But acting in this way creates a different treatment in a globalized world, I feel angry sad, etc. as I have been treated by Celebrity Mexico

We are in MX and have observed the same availability in the US and MX sites at the current exchange rate. The upgrades and discounts policies are different in each country. If you book with a US agent, the most likely thing is that you can obtain the free upgrade. For our case in Eclipse March 18 there have been significant price drops, we were denied the upgrade when roll call partners were granted. We were also denied the discount on B2B cruises. Sometimes I think that it is the laws of each country that make Celebrity act in one way or another. In some countries the rights of consumers are protected and not in others. But acting in this way creates a different treatment in a globalized world, I feel angry sad, etc. as I have been treated by Celebrity Mexico

The laws of the country are irrelevant. Often quoted lame excuse. Blatant profiteering by the cruise lines - JMO.

Annie

The laws of the country are irrelevant. Often quoted lame excuse. Blatant profiteering by the cruise lines - JMO.

Annie

Typical uninformed liberal anti-business comment. Corporations market their products using marketing strategies that maximize profits while conforming to the laws of each region of the world.

The term profiteering is generally associated with price gouging (either legally or illegally) when products are scarce and there is insufficient competition. That is certainly not the case in the cruise industry.

An example of the price difference I am talking about is OV US GTY $749 plus tax of aprox $350,but the UK price for the same is £699 tax inc.Concierge staterooms GTY $1850 inc tax US price UK £900 this is per person. On the UK site there's plenty of availability but my

agent in the States says OV sold out not much available! How can cabins be available here but not through my agent over the pond?

There must have been an advantage to use a US agent in the first place, but in this occasion it appears to have not worked in your favour. Usually I have read the reverse people booking via a US agent because they can get price drops etc that we in the UK cannot get, I am unsure about the cabin availability that does not make sense but as for the price, we unfortunately win some and we lose some. We cancelled and re-booked on our previous cruise losing £300 deposit because the price had gone down considerably, this year the price has gone up by £1600 since I made the booking.

Typical uninformed liberal anti-business comment. Corporations market their products using marketing strategies that maximize profits while conforming to the laws of each region of the world.

The term profiteering is generally associated with price gouging (either legally or illegally) when products are scarce and there is insufficient competition. That is certainly not the case in the cruise industry.

We agree and disagree.

Consumer legislation is irrelevant to pricing. We cannot re-fare in the UK as in the USA.

What we all want is a level playing field.

Annie

We agree and disagree.

Consumer legislation is irrelevant to pricing. We cannot re-fare in the UK as in the USA.

What we all want is a level playing field.

Annie

My apologies if my comments were too snarky. But corporations do not operate in a vacuum. Here in the US, we find that additional restrictions on product or service providers due to laws or regulations (whether or not they are necessary is a separate discussion) - including those associated with consumer protection - equate to higher costs of production and/or services.

While I am not familiar with the laws & regulations in the UK, basic economics would indicate that any restriction introduced by a law and/or regulation (again regardless of their beneficial intent to consumers) does raise the cost of providing a product or service.

For example - tighter consumer protection laws will result in more dispute settlements in favor of the consumer, thus raising the costs to the provider. To the extent that such additional costs apply to all competitors, prices will be impacted.

An example of the price difference I am talking about is OV US GTY $749 plus tax of aprox $350,but the UK price for the same is £699 tax inc.Concierge staterooms GTY $1850 inc tax US price UK £900 this is per person.

It has been cheaper to book in the UK since the Brexit vote in June 2016. The price difference is significant in favour of the UK due primarily to the exchange rate that Celebrity are using to calculate their UK prices. A factual example of this is when booking an onboard cruise they use $1.69 to 1GBP to calculate the deposit when the actual rate has been as low as $1.22 to more recent $1.40 to 1GBP.

It has been cheaper to book in the UK since the Brexit vote in June 2016. The price difference is significant in favour of the UK due primarily to the exchange rate that Celebrity are using to calculate their UK prices. A factual example of this is when booking an onboard cruise they use $1.69 to 1GBP to calculate the deposit when the actual rate has been as low as $1.22 to more recent $1.40 to 1GBP.

My experience of booking onboard has been that they quote the same price as i have researched online in UK. Only differences, in some instances, being OBC OR an additional perk.

Future Cruises usually ask "which country" . Maybe i should refrain or perhaps say USA or whatever country should be to my advantage?

As far as i can see , Brexit has nothing to do with pricing other than a weaker, at the moment, pound that can make prices substantially more expensive.

We in UK a re disadvantaged . We can`t jump around to get the best price. i.e. cancel without losing deposits.

As an aside. UK does not have access to the many US/ Canada offers/ competitions..

In effect....UK is a cash cow

My apologies if my comments were too snarky. But corporations do not operate in a vacuum. Here in the US, we find that additional restrictions on product or service providers due to laws or regulations (whether or not they are necessary is a separate discussion) - including those associated with consumer protection - equate to higher costs of production and/or services.

While I am not familiar with the laws & regulations in the UK, basic economics would indicate that any restriction introduced by a law and/or regulation (again regardless of their beneficial intent to consumers) does raise the cost of providing a product or service.

For example - tighter consumer protection laws will result in more dispute settlements in favor of the consumer, thus raising the costs to the provider. To the extent that such additional costs apply to all competitors, prices will be impacted.

No need to apologise - a robust exchange of views.

I am scratching my head to recall a dispute settlement which has greatly benefited the consumer, in the travel sector, apart from the EU flight delay regulation. Has that increased the cost of sales to the cruise industry??

UK is generally subject to higher pricing because of lower volume of cruisers - JMO.

BWT I don't want lower pricing than the US just the same.

Annie

There must have been an advantage to use a US agent in the first place, but in this occasion it appears to have not worked in your favour. Usually I have read the reverse people booking via a US agent because they can get price drops etc that we in the UK cannot get, I am unsure about the cabin availability that does not make sense but as for the price, we unfortunately win some and we lose some. We cancelled and re-booked on our previous cruise losing £300 deposit because the price had gone down considerably, this year the price has gone up by £1600 since I made the booking.

There has been an advantage using my US agent , I have used the same one for 4yrs! But I can't understand why if I wanted to upgrade it would cost so much compared to UK. But hey I will still book with her because I trust her!

My experience of booking onboard has been that they quote the same price as i have researched online in UK. Only differences, in some instances, being OBC OR an additional perk.

Future Cruises usually ask "which country" . Maybe i should refrain or perhaps say USA or whatever country should be to my advantage?

As far as i can see , Brexit has nothing to do with pricing other than a weaker, at the moment, pound that can make prices substantially more expensive.

We in UK a re disadvantaged . We can`t jump around to get the best price. i.e. cancel without losing deposits.

As an aside. UK does not have access to the many US/ Canada offers/ competitions..

In effect....UK is a cash cow

You couldn’t be more wrong.

We have booked many Celebrity cruises via a US travel agent but since June 2016 the UK prices have been significantly lower than the US.

When booking onboard you can place the booking with a US agent and pay the deposit in US$ but you will lose out on the beneficial Celebrity exchange rate. We always use the future onboard booking system then we gain the benefit of essential paying no deposit since they refund your deposit in obc. Also after booking onboard you have 6 weeks to re assign your reservation to your chosen T/A to gain additional perks.

Currently we aren’t disadvantaged, we have the better deal than our American cousins, do your homework!

We have booked many Celebrity cruises via a US travel agent but since June 2016 the UK prices have been significantly lower than the US.

When booking onboard you can place the booking with a US agent and pay the deposit in US$ but you will lose out on the beneficial Celebrity exchange rate. We always use the future onboard booking system then we gain the benefit of essential paying no deposit since they refund your deposit in obc. Also after booking onboard you have 6 weeks to re assign your reservation to your chosen T/A to gain additional perks.

Currently we aren’t disadvantaged, we have the better deal than our American cousins, do your homework!

I have a different experience currently.

I am price watching a Celebrity cruise and pricing via my US agent is approx 20% cheaper than the quote from my UK agent.

Maybe it depends upon the cruise?

Annie

I have a different experience currently.

I am price watching a Celebrity cruise and pricing via my US agent is approx 20% cheaper than the quote from my UK agent.

Maybe it depends upon the cruise?

Annie

It definitely applies to Caribbean cruises, Med cruises are of no interest to me as ports are industrial nightmares.

Which cruise are you watching ?

It definitely applies to Caribbean cruises, Med cruises are of no interest to me as ports are industrial nightmares.

Which cruise are you watching ?

I am looking at Asian cruises. I am actually pricing watching a similar itinerary across 3 cruise lines. None of the UK quoted prices are currently cheaper.

As I thought regional variations/group fares/supply and demand all come into the mix. There is no golden rule.

Caribbean cruises are of zero interest to me. Been once and that was enough.

Annie

It’s really a matter of doing one’s homework by comparing current offers from all options presented. I have found Brits tend to be very conservative with their decision making practises and need a lot of encouragement to venture outside their comfort zones.

I have found that GENERALLY UK pricing is more competitive for Med cruises and the US tends to be better for everywhere else.

One thing’s for sure that I will NEVER sail P&O again....I booked a cruise and literally four hours later the rate dropped almost in half and they refused to do anything about it. They have got all the money they will ever get out of me. (The cruise turned into a disaster too...we took the two MILs and they fought like a pair of three year olds but that’s for another thread.....):eek:

Annie

+1

They do it because they can, and I am sure that corporate wrings its collective hands with glee at the way the have got our deposits from day one, regardless of booking on board or not. And don’t get me started on the lack of flexibility of said booking!

And before someone points it out, I know it is possible to make a booking via a US TA (and thus risking unfavourable currency movements) but you shouldn’t have to.

Agree about just wanting a level playing field.

There has been an advantage using my US agent , I have used the same one for 4yrs! But I can't understand why if I wanted to upgrade it would cost so much compared to UK. But hey I will still book with her because I trust her!

Could it be your TA block books specific cabin types only and to upgrade you it would be ‘outside’ her usual cabin types?

Annie

Totally not true, typical "we own the world - no rules or regulations apply to me".

Well I got news for you, countries are totally independent and their laws are paramount and above all cruise lines rules.

Could it be your TA block books specific cabin types only and to upgrade you it would be ‘outside’ her usual cabin types?

This is something I thought of myself it could be the case! I'm quite happy to stay with what I've got as we are doing the b2b and cabins are next to each other. Dianne

It’s really a matter of doing one’s homework by comparing current offers from all options presented. I have found Brits tend to be very conservative with their decision making practises and need a lot of encouragement to venture outside their comfort zones.

I have found that GENERALLY UK pricing is more competitive for Med cruises and the US tends to be better for everywhere else.

One thing’s for sure that I will NEVER sail P&O again....I booked a cruise and literally four hours later the rate dropped almost in half and they refused to do anything about it. They have got all the money they will ever get out of me. (The cruise turned into a disaster too...we took the two MILs and they fought like a pair of three year olds but that’s for another thread.....):eek:

Wow, I have travelled with just one MIL several times, couldn't imagine both at same time, your brave. I can understand your comments regarding British conservative approach. That being said, Celebrity pricing is moving in a direction which is far from competitive.

I noticed a recent Celebrity announcement that they would re-commence sailing from Southampton to the Med in 2019. Interested, I priced a holiday for the July 2019 sailing on both the Celebrity UK website and also from my TA to confirmed. Competitive pricing for 3 in an RS for 14 nights was just over £20,000 (approx $28,000, so $666 per person per night) and the Penthouse in at £26,000 ($26,000). It would be interesting to know if this is the same price being quoted in the US?

People, the biggest and most common schoolboy error when discussing UK vs US pricing is to make sweeping statements. If you want the best deals you need to treat each individual cruise on its own merits.

Historically we booked our first few Celebrity cruises through a US travel agent as their pricing was lower and they had more flexible booking conditions. In short it was a no brainer for us.

In more recent times pricing has changed and now it's more common to find a better deal booking in the UK. So compare both when you're thinking of booking.

Our last two cruises were half the price in the UK than if booking in the US and they featured a classic drinks package whereas US bookings did not!

However, right now I can see an Eclipse 14 night cruise which is considerably cheaper to book in the US (Around 60% the cost of a UK booking).

Brexit and exchange rates have nothing to do with this.

Those who pay attention to cruise pricing and who can identify trends in the way pricing goes stand to save hundreds or thousands of pounds if you learn to play the game. Those who listen to sweeping statements won't make these savings.

Understand the pros and cons of booking in the US and the UK before making any decision though. The US has more flexibility, but UK deals are still beating them more and more frequently these days.

Be thankful that as a UK cruiser you have access to BOTH markets and thus more choice.

Wow, I have travelled with just one MIL several times, couldn't imagine both at same time, your brave. I can understand your comments regarding British conservative approach. That being said, Celebrity pricing is moving in a direction which is far from competitive.

I noticed a recent Celebrity announcement that they would re-commence sailing from Southampton to the Med in 2019. Interested, I priced a holiday for the July 2019 sailing on both the Celebrity UK website and also from my TA to confirmed. Competitive pricing for 3 in an RS for 14 nights was just over £20,000 (approx $28,000, so $666 per person per night) and the Penthouse in at £26,000 ($26,000). It would be interesting to know if this is the same price being quoted in the US?

Post the ship and the date and I'll be able to shoe you prices in both $ and £.

You say "Currently". My experience goes back to 3 cruises i booked onboard August 2017 when i researched and book 3 cruises onboard. The only advantage i received was OBC and additional perk.