Just taking a carry-on .. what to do?

layteacher

So I am leaving in 2 weeks for a Thursday -Monday first time cruise. I am only taking a carry on rolling suitcase and a small backpack. I saw pictures where luggage was piled everywhere. Since I am only doing a carry on , can I just keep it with me

as we get on and off the ship so i dont have to wait?

You will be fine assuming that the suitcase you plan on carrying on with you is a true carryon and will fit through a scanner - like at the airport; otherwise luggage has to be left with the porters and is delivered to your cabin.

Doesn't make any difference as far as getting on the ship. You will just have to keep with you until cabins are available. You won't board any faster; to be honest it will slow you down if anything as there is usually a walk up ramps/perhaps escalator etc.

If you don't want to deal with carrying it around with you for hours, you could always plan on boarding closer to the time the rooms will be ready. If you are cruising on Carnival, they have something you can purchase called Faster to the Fun. With that deal, your cabin will be ready as soon as you board the ship. I don't think any of the other cruise lines offer anything like that unless you book a suite.

Carrying on your luggage isn't a huge deal, but you really won't be able to do much exploring of the ship until you can drop it off at your cabin. Cabins are usually ready around 1:30.

Not sure what video you saw. The ships have a pretty good system. The porters fill large carts that are loaded to the ship. The crew delivers your bag to out side your door.

No reason you cannot drag your carry on around for several hours but why do it? If you back a swimsuit and valuables in your back you could be enjoying the sun by the pool before you get your cabin.

That said if you are boarding later it is no big deal to take your carry on to the cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You don't specify your cruise line. Some allow you in your cabin faster. With Princess, we go straight to our cabin and are usually dropping our carry ons by 11:30 or noon.

True. And some lines will have a set aside room where you can leave a carry on bag in that you can retrieve later.

Or, you can do what I used to do before I had early boarding perks - kept the bag with me. If I went to a buffet for lunch before cabins were ready, I just left my bag at the table where I was planning to sit. It was in eyesight and helped reserve my seat.

If they put it outside your door, how does it keep from getting stolen?? I know probably a crazy question.

Not sure what video you saw. The ships have a pretty good system. The porters fill large carts that are loaded to the ship. The crew delivers your bag to out side your door.

No reason you cannot drag your carry on around for several hours but why do it? If you back a swimsuit and valuables in your back you could be enjoying the sun by the pool before you get your cabin.

That said if you are boarding later it is no big deal to take your carry on to the cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am going on the Carnival Fantasy. I tried to do the faster boarding thing but it was sold out.

You don't specify your cruise line. Some allow you in your cabin faster. With Princess, we go straight to our cabin and are usually dropping our carry ons by 11:30 or noon.

If they put it outside your door, how does it keep from getting stolen?? I know probably a crazy question.

It's not the same as leaving it on someone's doorstep, or even outside a hotel room. The only people on a ship are crew and other cruisers. Who is going to steal your suitcase? Most cruisers know that only a fool puts anything of value in a checked suitcase, so what's the point of stealing one? The only precaution we take is locking them before handing them to the porter at the dock.

Have never cruised on Carnival, but on the lines we've cruised on the suitcases are only in the hallway for a short time - until the steward can move them into the cabin.

Oh ok.. just wondering.. thanks

people on a ship are crew and other cruisers. Who is going to steal your suitcase? Most cruisers know that only a fool puts anything of value in a checked suitcase, so what's the point of stealing one? The only precaution we take is locking them before handing them to the porter at the dock.

Have never cruised on Carnival, but on the lines we've cruised on the suitcases are only in the hallway for a short time - until the steward can move them into the cabin.

What if you are bringing a checked bag, not huge but 25", and want to carry onboard with you? Will this fit through the scanner? I just prefer to handle my luggage myself if possible...

A 25 inch bag is bigger than the scanner. Just think of the size of the airport scanners. Cruise lines use the same type.

I only travel with carry on bags. My last cruise ... I saw the 'room' with a huge pile of luggage sitting on the floor waiting until cabins opened up. There were 2 NCL employees standing there 'watching' over the luggage. I opted to keep my duffle bag and tote bag with me. Yes, it was a little cumbersome during lunch ... but I knew no one was going to take my luggage. YES ... there have been posts here on CC about people taking luggage from in front of cabin doors. BUT that is usually on the final night when people put luggage out for crew to take away. Just FYI.

A 25 inch bag is bigger than the scanner. Just think of the size of the airport scanners. Cruise lines use the same type.

A 25" bag is ~25" long. But it isn't nearly that wide - probably only 18". That should easily fit thru the scanner.

We each travel with a 20" carry on roller. I have a small backpack for my iPad. Two weeks or two months. All the same to us. We typically combine cruises with land trips so we keep our packing down to the minimum.

Never had a problem with carry on on any cruise line so far. Seems to me if it is airline reg size it will pass through the cruise line screening units.

We never board the ship and head straight to the food trough. It is simply too busy, too crowded. We find a nice spot on deck, a couple of recliners, and relax. Our cabin has generally been available either on embarkation or within the hour.

Travelling this way is great for disembarking. You have nothing to be concerned about. In 45 plus yeas of international travel, all modes,carry on and checked, we have never bothered with locks. Most of them are so poor that they heave open if you glance at them sideways.

Edited by iancal