If you had a week after your Alaskan Cruise.....

heckofagator

what would you do?

We'll be traveling on the Star Princess this summer from Vancouver to Whittier. I think we're all of the notion that "since we are all the way up there anyway......" we can plan to stick around the area for another week until we have to head back home.

I think a trip up to the Denali lodges is probably a must do. Maybe a couple nights in Anchorage? How about flying down to Seattle for a couple nights on the way home?

Anything else you've seen on your travels that would be a good family exploration adventure?

I think a trip up to the Denali lodges is probably a must do. Maybe a couple nights in Anchorage?

I don't think any "Denali lodges" are a must do... But I do believe a trip into Denali National Park on the park road can be pretty amazing. The shuttles buses are the most economic choice and allow you freedom to get off and hike: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

I wouldn't spend any nights in Anchorage, or at the most one. Either get a rental car in Whittier from Avis (which will have a one-way drop off fee) or take the Alaska Railroad to Anchorage and get your rental car there.

How many people are in your group? Interests?

Here's what *I* would do, in your shoes: When you dock at Whittier make your way to Anchorage any way you like - the train or bus. I wouldn't bother with a rental car to Anchorage - I'd rent a car in Anchorage (away from the airport tends to have cheaper rates) and if I passed something coming from Whittier I would double back. (It's less than 90 minutes between those two locations.) I'd then spend two nights in Anchorage with the full day checking out things I would be interested in there. On the 2nd morning in Anchorage I'd head to the Denali area. I would devote an entire day to getting there! A good short side trip could be lunch in Talkeetna. I would then spend a minimum of two full nights in the Denali area with the full day as a trip into the park on whichever tour I thought was appropriate to my interests. That would leave another 3 full days - possibly going on to Fairbanks for a night or two - it's only about 120 miles from the Denali area to Fairbanks. A night in Talkeetna would be interesting on the way to Denali or back from Fairbanks to break up the ride a little. Mostly, trust me: your travel times will be much longer than you expect. There is SOOO much to see, so many things to stop for and there is always the possibility of traffic problems from a wreck or construction. Just allow plenty of time and don't try to pack too many things into your time in Alaska - I think you'll enjoy yourself much more. It's beautiful, don't be in a hurry. Good luck!

thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I hear what you are saying about it being such a big area. We looked at the Northwest US a while back - Washington, Oregon and Northern CA and while everything looks close on a map, when you start actually looking at drive/travel times, its always much further than you think. I'm guessing this will be similar.

In our group, we'll have 2 families of 4 each with 2 boys ranging from 11-16 years old, plus 2 grandparents. Grandparents have done this trip before so I'm guessing they're most likely ok with anything. I don't know who all will continue on after the trip but at a minimum, it'll be our family of 4 for sure. I know in the past, we're most likely to want to see 2 different places for 2 days each as opposed to only 1 place for 4 days.

As for what we like to do - probably mainly sightseeing and walking around the city, although the kids might argue about that 2nd part. I'd say we're less inclined to do the cultural and artsy things, so that might fit in well on this kind of trip. Personally, I'm happy finding a new brewery I haven't been to before and the wife loves eating out at good restaurants.

Thanks for some initial ideas and this will get me researching. There's a lot to see certainly, so just gotta figure out what and then the best way to do it.

Well, the cruise is already booked going from Vancouver to Whittier

but...you gave me a good idea in that there's no reason we couldn't do Seattle before hand.

So maybe fly into Seattle, go to Vanvouver, take the cruise, and then arrive in Whittier, spend 3-4 days in Alaska and fly home from Anchorage?

If I had to choose between a night in Seattle or an extra night in Alaska, I would skip Seattle and take the extra night in Alaska. We flew into Fairbanks, spent a week on land and then boarded a cruise ship southbound Seward to Vancouver. Here is a link to my trip report if you're interested. There is so much to see in Alaska, we can't wait to go back to see more.

Consider Mantanuska Glacier NE of Anchorage. MICA Guides (micaguides.com) We are also GLAMPING at the foot of the glacier in outdoor tents. Rented a cabin in the Talkeetna area for 1 night. Also going to Mt. Alyeska (between Whittier and Anchorage) and take the tram to the top and also small hikes behind the hotel that have some cool things to do on the trails.

On our second cruise to Alaska we got off the ship in Whittier, went to Anchorage, rented a car, drove down to Seward with many stops before, spent two days there, drove to Homer spent two days there came back up, took a great trip down the river on a raft (fun!!) , went to Alyeska , Had a great time then spent a day and a half in Anchorage. Great trip!! But we had seen Denali on our first trip and did not feel we needed to see it again. I personally liked Anchorage. My husband and I were geocachers (I bet your boys would like it if you can get into it. Google it!) and spent time hunting and seeing the town that way. Talked to some Alaskans about their life there. DIY is the best way!!

Do the fly/van trip to Barrow, either fly up and van back or reverse. You will get to see everything from the air and the ground and have the added benefit of being able to say you were as far north as you can go in the US. You will also be inside the arctic circle.

There are lots of great ideas here. I would spend every second that I could in Alaska. You could spend a week doing each of the things mentioned and more. We truly enjoyed our time in Denali and Fairbanks and Copper River, and will be returning.

After our cruise tour we spent an extra week on the Kenai Peninsula. It was not nearly enough time! Our visit included Cooper Landing, Seward and Homer. I would suggest rafting on the Kenai River, visiting Bear Creek Winery in Homer and fishing there too! We did a trip out with Major Marine in Seward as well as visiting the Sealife Center. In Homer we went a a bear safari with Ultimate Bear Safari, spent time on Kachemak Bay with Coldwater and Mako and so much more. And if you go to Homer be sure to get a treat at Carmen's Gelato on the Spit!

Whatever you choose I know you will have a wonderful time.

Do the fly/van trip to Barrow, either fly up and van back or reverse. You will get to see everything from the air and the ground and have the added benefit of being able to say you were as far north as you can go in the US. You will also be inside the arctic circle.

I don’t think you can drive from Fairbanks to Barrow.

As for what we like to do - probably mainly sightseeing and walking around the city, although the kids might argue about that 2nd part. I'd say we're less inclined to do the cultural and artsy things, so that might fit in well on this kind of trip. Personally, I'm happy finding a new brewery I haven't been to before and the wife loves eating out at good restaurants.

Based on your quote above, I'm astonished nobody has suggested the obviously-best option to you - come in to Vancouver a week early instead!

No offence to any of your AK potential towns, or Seattle, but there's no more walkable city on the continent than Vancouver, we have gorgeous parks & gardens to walk though (and mountains accessible on public transit for hiking/skiing etc), an ever-burgeoning brewery scene & long-standing excellence in food options - with the added advantage of our weaker dollar making everything cheaper for you! Since you're already planning a one-way that means passports etc. are already a requirement just for getting to Vancouver, there's no more visa or other paperwork costs involved.

With a big family to move around, flights to SEA then two one-way rental cars might offer a significant saving over flights into YVR - and there's definitely stuff worth seeing in Seattle for a day or two before you head across the border... it's nice, just not as nice as here;-)

On our second cruise to Alaska we got off the ship in Whittier, went to Anchorage, rented a car, drove down to Seward with many stops before, spent two days there, drove to Homer spent two days there came back up, took a great trip down the river on a raft (fun!!) , went to Alyeska , Had a great time then spent a day and a half in Anchorage. Great trip!! But we had seen Denali on our first trip and did not feel we needed to see it again. I personally liked Anchorage. My husband and I were geocachers (I bet your boys would like it if you can get into it. Google it!) and spent time hunting and seeing the town that way. Talked to some Alaskans about their life there. DIY is the best way!!

I would visit Denali, keeping in mind that it might not be visible but you'll see plenty of wildlife. I would bypass Fairbanks and go to the Kenai peninsula. We are on a long weekend and that's what we did. I was snapping a picture for you just now when this eagle flew by! 1519064259474.thumb.jpg.491900f461ef3fab67359ba37ea665eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

1519064254268.thumb.jpg.e8f916562003c9bffe8c4dd049abb86e.jpg

I agree with you about heading south from Anchorage. I love Homer and Seward.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app