Unlimited Internet - WiFi Calling on iPhone

kjwkjw

• 4 months later...

:cool::cool:Thank you for the info.

Having just returned from a cruise on the Reflection, I wanted to post a message/tutorial about WiFi calling utilizing Verizon Wireless on my iPhone (though I suspect it will work the same with the others). I was able to set mine up relatively easily and it worked extremely well, other than a 1 second delay on my end).

First, a few caveats...

1) Make sure you have an unlimited, or large internet package.

2) CRITICAL: do not allow your cell phone to connect to the ships cell antenna, or you'll be in for a huge surprise when you get your bill. I'll explain how shortly.

Here is what I recommend doing, in this order:

1) Go into Settings>Phone>Wi-Fi calling and set to On. I also selected Prefer Wi-FI While Roaming. You'll need to set up an emergency address for 911 services, so put whatever you want in there. I just used my home address. According to the disclaimer, you're supposed to change this whenever you go somewhere, but you only have to set it once. I set mine up before I left the states, but not my wife's phone and she was not able to get this working until we called Verizon to do something on their end (I don't know what). Set it up well before your cruise and you'll be able to work out any issues.

2) Connect to the ship's WiFi (after setting up an account)

3) Swipe up and put your phone in Airplane Mode. This is critical and is what prevents the phone from connecting to the ship's cell antenna.

4) Swipe up again and select WiFi. You couldn't do this a few years ago, but now you can be in airplane mode with WiFi and Bluetooth active. You may need to connect to the ship's WiFi again.

5) It will take a few minutes, but at the top of the phone you should see the Airplane Mode Icon + VZW Wi-FI + the WiFi signal meter.

That's it. I made calls throughout the Caribbean with no problems whatsoever, other than the slight delay. I was able to receive calls, as well as both iMessages and normal texts. Voicemail was tricky, but I was able to just call my number, put in my PIN, and retrieve messages that way.

I hope someone finds this helpful. If there's a step I missed, just reply to this thread and I'll edit the post.

Great tip!! I just tried this out with my home wifi and my iPhone 7, it worked great! My husband and I will be sailing on Celebrity Solstice August 3rd. I'm on the T-Mobile network - has anyone had any issue with this carrier using this method?