San Francisco - Celebrity Shore Excursion - Sonoma Wine Country ?

yoshi

Has anyone done Celebrity's Sonoma Wine excursion out of San Francisco Harbor?

If so, we were wondering which winery they typically tour-I am actually hoping they go somewhere like Kendall Jackson. I may try an independent tour company that can include this winery on a tour. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thank you in advance-Laurie

Hello

I have never been on this tour but I live in Sonoma County near Kendall Jackson winery. La Crema is a great place to taste wi es and is part of Kendall Jackson wines.

Are you looking four a winery tour or wine tasting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone done Celebrity's Sonoma Wine excursion out of San Francisco Harbor?

If so, we were wondering which winery they typically tour-I am actually hoping they go somewhere like Kendall Jackson. I may try an independent tour company that can include this winery on a tour. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thank you in advance-Laurie

What date are you planning to be in Sonoma County?

Next weekend they have a barrel testing events at most of the wineries. It’s an event were you get to taste the future wines from the barrel.

I think we did this..but my paperwork is not with us. We went to a very nice winery...and to Sonoma..Sorry no details..but Celeb excursions we took in all the ports were excellent..Only glitch was the night time tpur in SF that got a late start due to port congestion..we ended up visiting the museum and lovely park area in the dark..waste of time but they did not vary the itin..

Hello

I have never been on this tour but I live in Sonoma County near Kendall Jackson winery. La Crema is a great place to taste wi es and is part of Kendall Jackson wines.

Are you looking four a winery tour or wine tasting.

Hi Airrace,

The tour offered on our cruise, says "journey to Sonoma Valley for a wine tasting at a local wine producer...Enjoy an exclusive tour of the winery, tasting and free time to explore". This sounds good but doesn't name the winery. There are also wine tours out of Seattle, Monterey, and Santa Barbara on our same cruise but they all have specific wineries listed. I may look into hiring a car and putting together our own Sonoma tour that goes to Kendall Jackson, maybe a second stop too if time allows.

I hope you didn't have a bad experience with the fires last year in Sonoma, the pictures on the news looked devastating.

What date are you planning to be in Sonoma County?

Next weekend they have a barrel testing events at most of the wineries. It’s an event were you get to taste the future wines from the barrel.

Our Pacific Coastal cruise stops in San Francisco on Thursday, September 6. San Francisco has so many options to choose from.

The Sonoma wine tour sounds like a beautiful day.

I think we did this..but my paperwork is not with us. We went to a very nice winery...and to Sonoma..Sorry no details..but Celeb excursions we took in all the ports were excellent..Only glitch was the night time tpur in SF that got a late start due to port congestion..we ended up visiting the museum and lovely park area in the dark..waste of time but they did not vary the itin..

Hi hcat,

The port congestion is my biggest fear in making my own tour rather than using the ship tour. California traffic can be tricky. I think we are in port from 8am to 8pm which should be plenty of time for a 5-6 hour Sonoma winery trip. I know that part of the wine tasting experience is trying new wines and different wineries but I was hoping to know which places they visit.

Thank you,

Laurie

You will have plenty of time to do a tour of the wine country. There is a difference between Sonoma Valley and Sonoma County. Sonoma County is where all the Kendall Jackson winery are at. I live about 1/4 mike from all of his wineries in Sonoma County. My favorite is La Crimea

My neighbor runs a wine tour company and can get you discounts at all the Kendall Jackson wineries. I will get you that information tomorrow.

It takes me an hour and half to get to SF with no traffic. Friday’s are the worst for traffic but since you will be going against the commuter traffic in the morning it should be no problem. In September the wineries will be in full production harvesting the grapes from the vines to actually pressing it and storing it either in a barrel or stainless steel tank.

You should easily have enough time to visit two to three wineries and even have a nice lunch.

I would consider not going to the big commercial wineries. At least not JUST those. Find a tour guide like Napa Dreamin' that goes to the fabulous boutique wineries. Those are the real gems in wine country, if I may offer an opinion. On a trip once (NOT a cruise) we did the big wineries and it was great, but so commercial and so many people, it was like Disneyland - yuk. Then we did the tour above. It was us and the husband/wife team in a luxury van. Saw 5 vineyards and ended up joining the Bremer Family Winery wine club - 5 or 6 years later we are still getting their wines several times a year. (they are located in St. Helena). We got to meet the owners and see and experience things you never do in the big wineries. Ate in the garden of one vineyard where some of the second generation were raising goats for cheese and had barrel tasting in another, with the owner and operator, not a 'tour guide.' Just an idea from one who loves wine country. We plan to drive out there in a couple years and see more boutique wineries. Meaning, they don't sell anywhere except to those who visit and those who are in wine clubs.

I hope you find the perfect tour for you. We always thought we wanted to do just the Christian Brothers and Kendall Jacksons and Beringers and those were nice, but the first time we visited a wonderful boutique vineyard we were hooked on the passion of these dedicated vintners who love to share their work. And the good tour operators know the really great ones.

Edited by ClaudiaB

I would consider not going to the big commercial wineries. At least not JUST those. Find a tour guide like Napa Dreamin' that goes to the fabulous boutique wineries. Those are the real gems in wine country, if I may offer an opinion. On a trip once (NOT a cruise) we did the big wineries and it was great, but so commercial and so many people, it was like Disneyland - yuk. Then we did the tour above. It was us and the husband/wife team in a luxury van. Saw 5 vineyards and ended up joining the Bremer Family Winery wine club - 5 or 6 years later we are still getting their wines several times a year. (they are located in St. Helena). We got to meet the owners and see and experience things you never do in the big wineries. Ate in the garden of one vineyard where some of the second generation were raising goats for cheese and had barrel tasting in another, with the owner and operator, not a 'tour guide.' Just an idea from one who loves wine country. We plan to drive out there in a couple years and see more boutique wineries. Meaning, they don't sell anywhere except to those who visit and those who are in wine clubs.

I hope you find the perfect tour for you. We always thought we wanted to do just the Christian Brothers and Kendall Jacksons and Beringers and those were nice, but the first time we visited a wonderful boutique vineyard we were hooked on the passion of these dedicated vintners who love to share their work. And the good tour operators know the really great ones.

http://www.napadreamin.com

Both the Christian Brothers and Berlingers winery in Napa County. I think they wanted to visit wineries in Sonoma County. What ever they do decide to do it will be beautiful in September. My only problem is all the trucks hauling grapes.

We are experiencing warmer than normal temperatures and the grapes are starting bud too early. Some of the wineries have turned on their fans early in the morning to prevent the frost from killing the buds. The other smaller ones use water pressurized with air.

The Kendall Jackson tour is actually an event center that serves and sells their wines. It is located in Fulton, California. One of their other wineries is about an half mile away and it is called La Crema winery owned by the Jackson Wines family, but both spots are not where they actually produce wine. One thing nice about La Crema is they have a huge vineyard and a great tasting room. Am a wine club member their.

Kendall Jackson attorney, wine maker and owner of several race horse that have won the Kentucky Derby. He has since passed away and his family live in Sonoma County and run the Jackson family winery. They own wineries world wide and quite few wineries in California.

Find the wine you like from KJ and I can at least get you the address where it is produced and you can drive by and see the harvest process from your car. Who know you might be able to get an un scheduled tour.

The Kendall Jackson tour is actually an event center that serves and sells their wines. It is located in Fulton, California. One of their other wineries is about an half mile away and it is called La Crema winery owned by the Jackson Wines family, but both spots are not where they actually produce wine. One thing nice about La Crema is they have a huge vineyard and a great tasting room. Am a wine club member their.

Kendall Jackson attorney, wine maker and owner of several race horse that have won the Kentucky Derby. He has since passed away and his family live in Sonoma County and run the Jackson family winery. They own wineries world wide and quite few wineries in California.

Find the wine you like from KJ and I can at least get you the address where it is produced and you can drive by and see the harvest process from your car. Who know you might be able to get an un scheduled tour.

Hi Airrace,

We were on a Celebrity cruise a couple of years ago and they had a Kendall Jackson Cabernet Sauvignon bottled as there"house brand". We both really liked it. I guess I was hoping that the tour that they sell at the San Francisco port stop would make it there. I am going to check into the wine tour companies that pick you up at the pier and maybe we could ask about doing both the KJ and the La Crema. Celebrity also offers a wine tour on the Seattle stop that included Chateau Ste. Michelle, I have had their wines before and enjoyed those too. So many good choices on the Pacific Coastal Cruise, all beautiful places.

Thanks again for your input.

Sorry about the delay. I drove over to the KJ wine center today and gathered this information:

The are open 10:00 to 4:00

Tasting tours are $15.00 to $20.00 per person, but if you join the KJ wine club free of charge you only have to buy 12 bottles per year 3 each month and a party of 4 can taste for free during your visit.

I looked today to see if they still sell the KJ Cabernet Sauvignon and was told there are still bottles for sale on the market but they currently don’t have any from 2008 to 2011.

I did taste a 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon (Hawkeye Mountain) and was quite impressed. They also had a 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon (Trace Ridge) that was one of the best wines I have had this year. If you get a chance to find one in a store pick it up. Kind of pricey $70.00 a bottle but worth it. I bought a bottle today and with club prices got it for $56.00

So here is my pick of wineries:

Kendall Jackson 5007 Fulton Road, Fulton, Ca

LaCrema 3575 Slusser Road Windsor, Ca

Sonoma-Cutrer 4401 Slusser Rd Windsor, Ca (on site production winery)

Harvest Moon 2192 Olivet Rd Santa Ra Ca (on site production winery)

Hook & Ladder 2134 Olivet Rd, Santa Rosa , (on site production winery)

Sunce winery 1839 Olivet Rd Santa Rosa, Ca (on site production winery)

Figuring you leave San Francisco at 8:00 am you will arrive in Santa Rosa at 10:00 spending an hour at each winery will give you enough time to see most of them listed above considering you take one full tour to the production process and the rest of them just go to the tasting room and taste their wines.

Korbel winery is also within 20 minutes of the other wineries if you might be interested in a champagne tour?

A good choice for lunch would be at Vintners Inn 4350 Barnes Road, Santa Rosa,Ca they have a great restaurant surrounded by a vineyard of 92 acres. Great views and good food. We go there often for dinner.

Sorry about the delay. I drove over to the KJ wine center today and gathered this information:

The are open 10:00 to 4:00

Tasting tours are $15.00 to $20.00 per person, but if you join the KJ wine club free of charge you only have to buy 12 bottles per year 3 each month and a party of 4 can taste for free during your visit.

I looked today to see if they still sell the KJ Cabernet Sauvignon and was told there are still bottles for sale on the market but they currently don’t have any from 2008 to 2011.

I did taste a 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon (Hawkeye Mountain) and was quite impressed. They also had a 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon (Trace Ridge) that was one of the best wines I have had this year. If you get a chance to find one in a store pick it up. Kind of pricey $70.00 a bottle but worth it. I bought a bottle today and with club prices got it for $56.00

So here is my pick of wineries:

Kendall Jackson 5007 Fulton Road, Fulton, Ca

LaCrema 3575 Slusser Road Windsor, Ca

Sonoma-Cutrer 4401 Slusser Rd Windsor, Ca (on site production winery)

Harvest Moon 2192 Olivet Rd Santa Ra Ca (on site production winery)

Hook & Ladder 2134 Olivet Rd, Santa Rosa , (on site production winery)

Sunce winery 1839 Olivet Rd Santa Rosa, Ca (on site production winery)

All of these wineries are within 5 minutes of each other!

I would consider not going to the big commercial wineries. At least not JUST those. Find a tour guide like Napa Dreamin' that goes to the fabulous boutique wineries. Those are the real gems in wine country, if I may offer an opinion.

I agree wholehearedly! Don't just go to the big name, mass production wineries. Use a wine tour company and go to boutique wineries you've never heard of. You'll likely end up tasting some great wines, and you'll get a much more personalized tour. You can tell them what kind of wine you like and what you want to see most- vineyards and grounds? production process? mainly a tasting experience? and they can plan the day to suit you and your preferences.

We were on a Celebrity cruise a couple of years ago and they had a Kendall Jackson Cabernet Sauvignon bottled as there"house brand". We both really liked it..... Celebrity also offers a wine tour on the Seattle stop that included Chateau Ste. Michelle, I have had their wines before and enjoyed those too.

See above! You already know you like KJ and CSM, and you easily find them in your local grocery store. Expand your horizons and try some boutique wineries with smaller production.

I agree wholehearedly! Don't just go to the big name, mass production wineries. Use a wine tour company and go to boutique wineries you've never heard of. You'll likely end up tasting some great wines, and you'll get a much more personalized tour. You can tell them what kind of wine you like and what you want to see most- vineyards and grounds? production process? mainly a tasting experience? and they can plan the day to suit you and your preferences.

See above! You already know you like KJ and CSM, and you easily find them in your local grocery store. Expand your horizons and try some boutique wineries with smaller production.

I have included a bunch of small wineries. I agree smaller wineries are better. Now that you have a list go to your local wine distributor and try a few of them. My experience with wine is one year doesn’t make the next year taste the same. Most wineries now mix their wines in large stainless steel tanks and eventually transfer it to a wooden barrel for its final process. No matter what winery you decide to visit just being in the wine country during harvest (September- October) time is great all in self. The smell of grapes fermenting and just watching the process from taking the grapes from the vines to crushing is great.

Keep in mind for Seattle, you will be going to tasting rooms in Woodinville; the vineyards and production facilities are in the Columbia Valley, Red Mountain, and the like, 3+ hours from Seattle.

The Chateau Ste Michelle tasting room is great for the brands you can’t easily get elsewhere, so I’d slightly disagree with not going somewhere where you already know you like the wine.

I would suggest, politely, that five wineries, with tastings, in a rental car, can easily render most average humans over the legal limit... You also lose sensitivity to taste fairly quickly on multiple winery visits. AND, Napa and Sonoma wineries are notorious for their tasting fees. Just keep that in mind. I highly recommend having someone else drive if you’re going to go to several (more than 2-3) wineries.

Hi hcat,

The port congestion is my biggest fear in making my own tour rather than using the ship tour. California traffic can be tricky. I think we are in port from 8am to 8pm which should be plenty of time for a 5-6 hour Sonoma winery trip. I know that part of the wine tasting experience is trying new wines and different wineries but I was hoping to know which places they visit.

Thank you,

Laurie

Sorry but I wont be able to access the name for awhile..It was a very scenic place.. atypical for the usual winery architecture. It was an outdoor tasting with a tour..then time to shop and look around..there was a historic mission there and a small museum..I will try to remember the name..

After the tasting we went into Sonoma..time for lunch and walking around.

Never enough time but we thoroughly enjoyed the tour!

BTW

We also enjoyed the Celeb Funk Zone tour in Santa Barbara..long but thorough tour of this beautiful area...then they took us to the tasting rooms ( not wineries) in the Funk Zone..choice of 3..had a great time with 2 couples we met along the way...from the ship..bus took us back to the pier area

KJFamily wines are produced at a blending faculties on Kitty Hawk lane in Santa Rosa. One of the largest producing facilities I have ever seen. You won’t believe the amount of buildings it takes to be the largest wine producer.