7 D Alaska Cruise on Nieuw Amster. in July-Any advice on excursions and cruise ship ?

viaje4ever

My friend and I are first-time cruisers and would appreciate any advice on expeditions. Which expeditions are best to take with the cruise line and which are better to go with an independent company?

We are both very active and would love to see wildlife and kayak.

This is our itinerary:

(7 Nights, Vancouver-Round Trip)

Depart Vancouver-

Ports:

- Juneau

-Tracy Arm

-Skagway

-Glacier Bay

-Ketchikan

Lastly, any tips about the ship itself?

Thank you!!

From your itinerary.... sounds like you have an opportunity to double your Glacier viewing experience with this excursion.

On your itinerary, this popular excursion will be the first to sell out with a mid-water transfer. It helps to maximize your Juneau time....

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935&portCode=TAC&destCode=A&requestSource=shoreExcursions

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We love the Tamarind Restaurant -- Pan-Asian food. The Pinnacle Grill is also a great restaurant.

Tracy Arm & Glacier Bay -- stay on the ship days -- glacier viewing. Haven't looked at you itinerary in detail but for Tracy Arm, there may be an excursion offered where you take a smaller boat up closer to the glacier and then it drops you off back in Juneau.

Juneau -- there is the Blue Bus that you can take out to Mendenhal Glacier and walk the trails at your own pace. m If it is a clear day, you can take Mt Robert's Tram to the top for great views. This is also a great port to go whale watching.

Ketchikan -- Saxman Village, Totem Bight, you can also walk to Creek Street (may see the salmon going up stream). Lots of Totem Poles around.

Skagway -- there are several versions of the White Pass - Yukon train ride.

In Juneau - the helicopter ride up to Mendenhall Glacier. You land on the glacier and get to spend some time on the glacier. I was fortunate enough to score a seat in the front of the helicopter and got some absolutely beautiful photos from the air.

In Ketchikan - my travel companion went to Saxman Village and enjoyed it. I went zip-lining in the Tsongas National Forest and absolutely LOVED it. However; if you're afraid of heights, have mobility challenges or lack upper body strength, it wouldn't be a good choice.

From your itinerary.... sounds like you have an opportunity to double your Glacier viewing experience with this excursion.

On your itinerary, this popular excursion will be the first to sell out with a mid-water transfer. It helps to maximize your Juneau time....

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935&portCode=TAC&destCode=A&requestSource=shoreExcursions

Woah this looks awesome I had no idea this was an option we are on a 7 day in June with about the same itinerary as the OP. It looks like we would get off the main ship in the ARM to the smaller ship and then meet the main ship in port at Juneau? I don't see any information on the length of this excursion wonder if we would have time in port for something else?

Woah this looks awesome I had no idea this was an option we are on a 7 day in June with about the same itinerary as the OP. It looks like we would get off the main ship in the ARM to the smaller ship and then meet the main ship in port at Juneau? I don't see any information on the length of this excursion wonder if we would have time in port for something else?

Yes, you meet up in Juneau. This excursion is 6 hours. I am booked. I was looking to see about other excursions, but many leave before we would get back at approx. 4-4:30. Not really interested in Mendenhall Glacier, since we would already see Sawyer.

A popular excursion in Juneau is whale watching. They seem to be 4-5 hours. I can see the Humpback whale at home.

We plan on going into town to look and grab some Halibut fish n chips. Will be hungry after Tracy Arm, as they only sell snacks on board.

Yes, you meet up in Juneau. This excursion is 6 hours. I am booked. I was looking to see about other excursions, but many leave before we would get back at approx. 4-4:30. Not really interested in Mendenhall Glacier, since we would already see Sawyer.

A popular excursion in Juneau is whale watching. They seem to be 4-5 hours. I can see the Humpback whale at home.

We plan on going into town to look and grab some Halibut fish n chips. Will be hungry after Tracy Arm, as they only sell snacks on board.

Awesome thanks for the info we actually did plan to do whale watching in Juneau so I will have to see what the party wants to do more.

We did this cruise last year and especially liked the Mendenhall Glacier and simply sitting and watching the 'calfing' at Glacier Bay. Fortunately we had wonderful weather without any rain. We were there in early June. Have a wonderful cruise!

We did this same itinerary on the N. Amsterdam last summer, and had a great time. We did whale-watching in Juneau, hiking and river rafting in Skagway, and sea kayaking in Ketchikan. But that's us; you really need to look at the excursions that are available and pick what's right for you. I would also suggest that you join the Roll Call for your cruise here on Cruise Critic and look into independent tours.

I would also agree with previous posters that you should try the Tamarind restaurant while on board, and that you should spend some extra time in Vancouver (unless of course that's your home...)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We love the Tamarind Restaurant -- Pan-Asian food. The Pinnacle Grill is also a great restaurant.

Tracy Arm & Glacier Bay -- stay on the ship days -- glacier viewing. Haven't looked at you itinerary in detail but for Tracy Arm, there may be an excursion offered where you take a smaller boat up closer to the glacier and then it drops you off back in Juneau.

Juneau -- there is the Blue Bus that you can take out to Mendenhal Glacier and walk the trails at your own pace. m If it is a clear day, you can take Mt Robert's Tram to the top for great views. This is also a great port to go whale watching.

Ketchikan -- Saxman Village, Totem Bight, you can also walk to Creek Street (may see the salmon going up stream). Lots of Totem Poles around.

Skagway -- there are several versions of the White Pass - Yukon train ride.

Thank you for the suggestions. Wondering what part of the ship would best for glacier viewings? If possible, less crowded.

Wondering what part of the ship would best for glacier viewings? If possible, less crowded.

They usually open up the bow of the ship for viewing in Glacier Bay. But by the time you anchor, it does get pretty crowded. We got out there early and claimed a spot along the rail; it was spectacular, just viewing the glacier (Margerie in our case) and waiting for another calving. But even when the sun is shining, it can still be cold, so close to all of that ice; I was wearing hat and gloves ands scarf and two jackets, the only time on the whole cruise.

I assume that you can also get good views from the aft pool deck and the upper railings on deck 10, but we stayed on the bow. We found it too cold on our balcony, because it was shaded. I assume that would apply to the promenade deck as well.

If you want to stay warm, then the Crows Nest would be the place to be. But the chairs by the window will be claimed long in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

07/09/2018

Juneau Arrival: 1:00 PM Departure: 10:00 PM

07/09/2018

Tracy Arm Arrival: 10:00 AM Departure: 10:30 AM

07/10/2018

Skagway

Arrival: 7:00 AM Departure: 9:00 PM

Thank you for your suggestion,however, I'm a little confused.This is our itinerary above, why does it appear we will only be in Tracy Arm for 30 min?

Can someone else please clarify?

07/09/2018

07/09/2018

07/10/2018

Skagway

Thank you for your suggestion,however, I'm a little confused.This is our itinerary above, why does it appear we will only be in Tracy Arm for 30 min?

A small boat will dock with the ship and those going to Tracy Arm will disembark on to that small boat at that time. The ship will then continue on to Juneau, where the small boat will catch up to it later that day.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Thank you for the suggestions. Wondering what part of the ship would best for glacier viewings? If possible, less crowded.

Go all the way forward on Deck 5. The Crew will have the doors open to hull. Here's a few photo's of Glacier Bay from the NA.

36973681483_235123a364_z.jpgIMG_0740 by The Cruiser1, on Flickr

36973681963_b1c9aa7e71_z.jpgIMG_0741 by The Cruiser1, on Flickr

07/09/2018

07/09/2018

07/10/2018

Skagway

Are you sure you got the times right for Tracy Arm? Doesn't sound right. We did it for 4-5 hours.

07/09/2018

07/09/2018

07/10/2018

Skagway

Does it say "SC" on your itinerary? That would mean "service call." As BUU said, your ship would stop just long enough to disembark people taking the small boat tour.

Early in the season, it's difficult for the ship to get into Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm because of all the ice. The small boat may be the only vessel that can get into these areas. HAL doesn't seem to offer the excursion later in the season. Our Alaska cruises have been August and September, and we were able to sail up Tracy one time and Endicott the other, so no small boat excursion was offered.