HAL Tea

ozcruizer

Joining the Volendam in Vancouver on the 28th for its repositioning voyage to Asia. Tell me, what brand of tea is being used in the Lido now. I was so disgusted by the cheapo tea (just black) they were using that last time on the Noordam Pacific crossing I took my own, only to find they'd gone back to the previous brand. What was it - Bigelow? What tea is being used presently?

Thanks,

Joining the Volendam in Vancouver on the 28th for its repositioning voyage to Asia. Tell me, what brand of tea is being used in the Lido now. I was so disgusted by the cheapo tea (just black) they were using that last time on the Noordam Pacific crossing I took my own, only to find they'd gone back to the previous brand. What was it - Bigelow? What tea is being used presently?

Thanks,

May 2016 had PG Tips and Bigelow varieties at the Lido Market Beverage Stations.

I hope they continue to have PG Tips. I like black teas, and I think Bigelow's black teas are poor. (They do better with green and herbals) But they're way ahead of that Fields & Select stuff. It was awful.

Something else to pack, I guess...

Was that the name of that awful stuff?! There was some tea that was pretty much woody brown water. Unpalatable.

I am also a tea packer. PG Tips does do black tea well and I love their tea baggies. I keep them in my pantry at all times.

I also love many of the varieties from Mighty Leaf Tea. I don't think I have seen it on HAL but I have seen it at several nice land resorts. I discovered them at JW Marriots a few years ago. Good stuff. :)

On one of the last two cruises we took we had both PG tips and Tetleys plus that awful Fields& Select Stuff (Eurodam 2015), on Prinsendam this year we got Bigelow with a really good selection plus PG tips.

I still miss that great stuff we had on our very first HAL cruise - their own brand with the HAL logo. It was almost gone even then but the waiters sometimes slipped me a bag or two to use in the mornings for my tea...

IMO the muddy tea is often due to water which has cooled. I go to the Lido myself with my (imperial) pint mug and get water from the tap.

Because the water is as close to boiling as possible, I've found the Lido "no name" HAL blend to be surprisingly palatable. MDR tea is a sad thing. I've urged the servers to put the bag in the water for me at the tap, but they're usually bewildered or regard it as a kinky personal request. :o

But I *always bring tea*.

Yorkshire Gold in bags, and Adagio loose leaf blends for me - fond of the Vanilla and Tiger Eye black tea flavours, as well as many of the naturally caffeine free rooibus like lemon cloud.

RuthC was the poster who taught me real tea was possible if you GO TO THE LIDO. A million thanks, Ruth.

Please feel free to snicker and point at me, the tea snob. (I'm an ignoramus about coffee.)

Edited by fann1sh

RuthC was the poster who taught me real tea was possible if you GO TO THE LIDO. A million thanks, Ruth.

You're welcome. :)

I always pre-heat my mug, too. It's amazing how much of the heat the cool mug can draw out of the water. I leave some hot water in the mug long enough that it gets at least warm, then dump it. Pop in the tea bag, and add hot water in the usual fashion.

Close as I can come to boiling water.

You're welcome. :)

I always pre-heat my mug, too. It's amazing how much of the heat the cool mug can draw out of the water. I leave some hot water in the mug long enough that it gets at least warm, then dump it. Pop in the tea bag, and add hot water in the usual fashion.

Well, of course I pre-heat the mug: Part of the ritual. :D:eek:

You are THE BEST, Chère Madame.

I'm now using a stainless steel Contigo mug available through Amazon. I've found it works well.

https://smile.amazon.com/Contigo-AUTOSEAL-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless/dp/B00KR9OMLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473780919&sr=8-1&keywords=contigo+20+oz

Please feel free to snicker and point at me, the tea snob. (I'm an ignoramus about coffee.)

If people can order a Venti decaff skinny soy latte with no foam :p I can certainly carry my tea baggie to the Lido and hold my head high :D

Adagio teas are indeed nice. I've enjoyed several.

On one of the last two cruises we took we had both PG tips and Tetleys plus that awful Fields& Select Stuff (Eurodam 2015), on Prinsendam this year we got Bigelow with a really good selection plus PG tips.

I still miss that great stuff we had on our very first HAL cruise - their own brand with the HAL logo. It was almost gone even then but the waiters sometimes slipped me a bag or two to use in the mornings for my tea...

Ahh, that lovely HAL tea. It was Darjeeling, delicious! The best waiters we ever had on HAL were Rianto and Henry on Maasdam. They got it right after I asked them just once to put the bag in the pot (yes, a little teapot! You don't see them much any more). And then water from the hot-tap at the waiter station.

Thanks for the tip on pre-heating the mug:)

No don't grab them, that's why carnival started charging for tea other than black or green, all the special teas were being taken by the handfulls. I just carry my own favorites and get hot water, good tip to warm the mug first.

No don't grab them, that's why carnival started charging for tea other than black or green, all the special teas were being taken by the handfulls. I just carry my own favorites and get hot water, good tip to warm the mug first.

I see your point, but I think HAL cruisers wouldn't walk off with a bag full.

Maybe 4 , to last a couple of days?

Carnival is something else! Wow!

Edited by SilvertoGold

If you can find Harney and Sons outside of the Pinnacle, grab some!! All their teas are excellent!

I agree. I love their tea - especially their herbals.

I bring some tea on board and my tea bags to make my own tea BUT one of the joys of having the Neptune Suite is the tea in the Neptune Lounge (same as the Pinnacle Grill).

I do take one for my dinner in the MDR to alternate at times. I like to think I paid for it and just chose to have it in the MDR ;)

those teas are only available in the Pinnacle Grill and the Neptune Lounge to the best of my knowledge. So not too much risk of them being grabbed ;)

Edited by kazu

Thanks Crew News.

JMO: Tazo is absolutely NOT for me. Tried it: 3 times/3 varieties/3 places, once on Eurodam.

I know there are people who swear by Starbucks, but I only swear at that mermaid.

I'm so glad we'll be able to get Tim Horton's steeped tea in Vancouver before we embark. :cool: U.S. Timmy's don't have it.

Edited by fann1sh

Thanks Crew News.

JMO: Tazo is absolutely NOT for me. Tried it: 3 times/3 varieties/3 places, once on Eurodam.

I know there are people who swear by Starbucks, but I only swear at that mermaid.

I'm so glad we'll be able to get Tim Horton's steeped tea in Vancouver before we embark. :cool: U.S. Timmy's don't have it.

Thanks so much everyone for your input on the available teas on HAL. I won't be going for the Field & Select - I'd rather plain hot water than that :). Also thanks for the hints on warming the cup - I hadn't thought of that. I also like the Darjeeling so I might just bring a pack of bags for the times it is occasionally not available and then I should be set!

I remember Tim Horton's from when we went to Canada over 9 years ago so must have a look out for them while in Vancouver. Getting very excited because I think we will be on board the Volendam this time in two weeks!

Ozcruiser: we Canadians are a bit fierce about our national icons - and Tim Hortons qualifies. :)

But it makes sense to me to treat tea and coffee drinkers with equality. Tim Hortons always has fresh coffee on the hob - guaranteed made less than 20 minutes ago - as well as steeped tea in the same sort of carafe, waiting to be poured, with the same guarantee. And, just like the coffee, it tastes the same every single time.:)

If that's too strong for you, or not to your taste, you can order black tea fresh brewed for you, or one of the other teas available. Selection can vary by outlet, but there's always Earl Grey, and herbals like mint.

There are MANY Tim Hortons in downtown Vancouver. There's one beside the Fairmont Waterfront hotel/across from the Pan Pacific, and another beside the Hyatt Regency, along with a dozen others. Hope you can try a cuppa Canadian tea before you embark.

Ozcruiser: we Canadians are a bit fierce about our national icons - and Tim Hortons qualifies. :)

But it makes sense to me to treat tea and coffee drinkers with equality. Tim Hortons always has fresh coffee on the hob - guaranteed made less than 20 minutes ago - as well as steeped tea in the same sort of carafe, waiting to be poured, with the same guarantee. And, just like the coffee, it tastes the same every single time.:)

If that's too strong for you, or not to your taste, you can order black tea fresh brewed for you, or one of the other teas available. Selection can vary by outlet, but there's always Earl Grey, and herbals like mint.

There are MANY Tim Hortons in downtown Vancouver. There's one beside the Fairmont Waterfront hotel/across from the Pan Pacific, and another beside the Hyatt Regency, along with a dozen others. Hope you can try a cuppa Canadian tea before you embark.

Not just Vancouver! Tim seems to be everywhere we go in Canada! A friend from Canada swears it's possible to give directions by using only Tim Hortons as landmarks for turns. Last time we were in Montreal, I took lots of pictures of the bilingual signs. My favorite was Tim's Toujour Frais!

When we have a port stop in Halifax we like to go out early and stroll along the Harbourwalk, and somehow we always find ourselves at a Tim's. They do have good coffee, and I tried their version of Dunkin's coolata. Tim's was better!

Edited to add: I don't like the mermaid's coffee or tea, either.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder