The recurring tonic question! Anyone on Journey now?

gymfreak

Hi

We are due to board Journey on Monday in Southampton.

Can anyone currently cruising on her tell me if there are current stocks of Schwheeps tonic or is it just the disgusting Royal Club brand?

I know it's a trivial matter but contemplating bringing my own or even treating myself to some Fever Tree!

Thanks

Vicki

Nancy, I am in Rome quite often and I have found that usually wherever you can buy good gin you can also usually buy Fever Tree tonic. Or even Fentiman's tonic which is almost as good. There are quite a few Enoteca's that sell both now. In Spain you would just have to find a Corte Ingles and they sell Fever Tree in the food and wine department.

I did leave some bottles behind on Quest in August though, so it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone is on Quest. They may still be behind the bar. You can have them with my compliments!

It is really time someone at Azamara listened to our moans about that horrible Royal tonic. I'm sure the sales of good Gin would go up if they did!

Nancy, I am in Rome quite often and I have found that usually wherever you can buy good gin you can also usually buy Fever Tree tonic. Or even Fentiman's tonic which is almost as good. There are quite a few Enoteca's that sell both now. In Spain you would just have to find a Corte Ingles and they sell Fever Tree in the food and wine department.

I did leave some bottles behind on Quest in August though, so it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone is on Quest. They may still be behind the bar. You can have them with my compliments!

It is really time someone at Azamara listened to our moans about that horrible Royal tonic. I'm sure the sales of good Gin would go up if they did!

Hi Lottie, we will be boarding Quest next Monday in Venice so we accept the challenge to hunt them down. Can we have a clue as to where they might be please?

Vicki, bad news is we asked the question on the Crystal board and they usually use Royal Club as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

John, not sure which bar because I left three bottles in my suite with a note for Osvy the butler to "donate them". You could ask him!

We left our in suite alcohol for the crew too as we didn't drink it. Never knew we could hand it into Guest Relations and they will either give it to a named member of the crew or it gets put out in the Crew Bar. Good idea but it has to be done "officially" through Guest Relations.

Don't be tempted to try the scarce but different brand Diet Tonic which is almost as bad as Royal Tonic. It's still truly horrible. :(

Hope you and Carol have a great time on Quest. Give Russ and Max a big hug from me please.

John, not sure which bar because I left three bottles in my suite with a note for Osvy the butler to "donate them". You could ask him!

We left our in suite alcohol for the crew too as we didn't drink it. Never knew we could hand it into Guest Relations and they will either give it to a named member of the crew or it gets put out in the Crew Bar. Good idea but it has to be done "officially" through Guest Relations.

Don't be tempted to try the scarce but different brand Diet Tonic which is almost as bad as Royal Tonic. It's still truly horrible. :(

Hope you and Carol have a great time on Quest. Give Russ and Max a big hug from me please.

I expect they found there way to the crew bar as well [emoji848] I'm always mystified by the disregard of decent branded tonics, if they offered cheap "alternative" cola there would be outrage.

Twenty days b2b for our twentieth wedding anniversary, will also be our seventh anniversary for Azamara as well. Will pass on your hugs, well Carol will [emoji15]

I have a slightly different question to ask in relation to the horrible Royal Club Tonic.

We have a upcoming cruise on Journey and have a large OBC, one consideration for spending the OBC is upgrading to either the Premium of Ultimate drinks packages.

Whilst I have no issue with the Gordon's Gin that is served as standard, upgrading allows us to enjoy Tanqueray, Hendrick's and Tanqueray 10 (we'll pass on the Bombay).

Should we upgrade and get on board to discover Royal Club Tonic is being served do we have the right to ask for a cancellation and refund for our upgraded drinks package?

The justification is simple, the Gins will be ruined with Royal Club.

I appreciate the upgraded packages offer an additional wider selection of drinks, however it is the better Gin selection that would be the driver in making the upgrade choice.

I expect they found there way to the crew bar as well [emoji848] I'm always mystified by the disregard of decent branded tonics, if they offered cheap "alternative" cola there would be outrage.

Twenty days b2b for our twentieth wedding anniversary, will also be our seventh anniversary for Azamara as well. Will pass on your hugs, well Carol will [emoji15]

Congratulations to you both on your 20th Wedding Anniversary. I'm sure Azamara will put on a lovely celebration for you. 🍾🍰

If Philip asks you what you would like, then say some Fever Tree tonic! :D

Seem to have a lot of cheerleaders for the fight to get a decent tonic. Thanks for all the advice. I think I defiantly need to take matters in my own hands and take my own tonic onboard.

We normally don't upgrade our drinks package but seeing as we have some OBC spare we may treat ourselves to the Ultimate package.

So as we are let's say inexperienced in these matters would welcome any suggestions of drinks or cocktails we could try that don't appear on the complimentary list but may be available to mix on the ultimate package inclusion list! Will promise to try all suggestions!!!!

Vicki

Thanks to this board we are now Fever Tree fans! On our recent Azamara cruise we purchased some good gin in Edinburgh and got the Fever Tree as well to bring on board since everyone says the Azamara tonic is not good. Loved it and were thrilled to find when we arrived home at it is available locally. Thanks everyone for upgrading our Gin & Tonic experience :)

Amazon sell Fever Tree do you think they will deliver to Quest in Venice[emoji41

Maybe not ....but you can get a good Hendrick's and Fever Tree at The Danieli or The Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice. Maybe you could purchase some spare Fever Tree tonic to take onboard? On second thoughts, if may be cheaper to pay excess baggage and take a case of it with you!

I find it hilarious that there have been so many recent threads on tonic. Non Gin drinkers must think we are crazy but really, it completely spoils a good gin if you have a rubbish tonic. Do you remember how long and hard we all fought for sparkling water and bubbles to be on the included drinks list....well look out Azamara because a good tonic might be a similar battle!

Gin and bitter lemon is quite nice - don't know whether it is on the free list or what brand of bitter lemon they have.

Azamara's Food and Beverage people really do need to listen to this feedback re that Royal Club crap - it is a silly little thing to spoil an otherwise great experience onboard.

OK, you guys have got me thinking about G&T. So I looked up Fever Tree tonic on amazon, and they have 4 different varieties! Premium Indian, Elderflower, Naturally Light, and Mediterranean. Which is the 'right' one?

OK, you guys have got me thinking about G&T. So I looked up Fever Tree tonic on amazon, and they have 4 different varieties! Premium Indian, Elderflower, Naturally Light, and Mediterranean. Which is the 'right' one?

It depends on the gin and personal preference. Being a bluff old traditionalist, I go for the Premium Indian with Tanqueray, but the Mediterranean is also good for a 'lighter' gin e.g. Bombay Sapphire IMHO.

Nancy, I am in Rome quite often and I have found that usually wherever you can buy good gin you can also usually buy Fever Tree tonic. Or even Fentiman's tonic which is almost as good. There are quite a few Enoteca's that sell both now. ....

I did leave some bottles behind on Quest in August though, so it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone is on Quest. They may still be behind the bar. You can have them with my compliments! .....

Thank you, Lottie A. I think it will be worth it to try to find some. I appreciate the thought of the FT you left behind on Quest but we will be boarding Journey in a few weeks. Hope someone will be able to enjoy your generosity.

Nancy

It depends on the gin and personal preference. Being a bluff old traditionalist, I go for the Premium Indian with Tanqueray, but the Mediterranean is also good for a 'lighter' gin e.g. Bombay Sapphire IMHO.

I like the Mediterranean flavour best, too. Works well with Gordons gin.

Fever Tree deserves a very good gin. In my opinion the Indian tonic goes well with Tanqueray 10, Caorunn and Hendrick's but I prefer the Mediterranean with Martin Miller, Sixsmith's and my absolute favourite gin Williams Chase. Chase Seville Orange Gin is a new favourite of mine too. Just tried it on a cruise ...(not Azamara) with the Fever Tree Indian tonic and an orange slice and it was so delicious.

I am probably a "gin snob" ....well actually I definitely AM a gin snob ...LOL...but you can keep your Gordon's, Beefeater and Bombay Sapphire! My partner feels much the same about Bell's or Teacher's Whisky as opposed to Highland Park or The Balvenie.

I think it's like comparing Azamara with Costa Cruises. You get what you pay for. It's all personal taste of course. My friend Mary loves Gordon's and Schweppes tonic.

Fever Tree deserves a very good gin. In my opinion the Indian tonic goes well with Tanqueray 10, Caorunn and Hendrick's but I prefer the Mediterranean with Martin Miller, Sixsmith's and my absolute favourite gin Williams Chase. Chase Seville Orange Gin is a new favourite of mine too. Just tried it on a cruise ...(not Azamara) with the Fever Tree Indian tonic and an orange slice and it was so delicious.

I am probably a "gin snob" ....well actually I definitely AM a gin snob ...LOL...but you can keep your Gordon's, Beefeater and Bombay Sapphire! My partner feels much the same about Bell's or Teacher's Whisky as opposed to Highland Park or The Balvenie.

I think it's like comparing Azamara with Costa Cruises. You get what you pay for. It's all personal taste of course. My friend Mary loves Gordon's and Schweppes tonic.

Have you tried Rhubarb Gin and Fever Tree? Bliss

Must say usualAzamara tonic is not good spoils a lovely drink. Another vote for either Schweppes or Fever Tree.

A thought maybe provisions person is not a gin and tonic person so does not appreciate the importance of good tonic.

Yes, one step at a time. Fever Tree would be great, but Schweppes would be a good start. I prefer vodka personally and gave up on the horrid Royal Club and Seagrams a while ago. Now vodka soda. They had Royal Club on Windstar too.

Hate to disagree with you dear Phil but Schweppes is not a good start. It should be the best for Azamara and that is Fever Tree.

It's a bit like me bringing Tesco Basics Pickle instead of Branston for our Cheese Ploughman's Lunch on Journey. Your face would not be happy! 😄