Onboard spending

Just curious just came back from my 14th Cruise 11 nights. Total onboard expenses were $270 for three people. Drink package pre bought, 2 grats free , $200 OBC credit. Also got $120 refunded in port charges due to itinerary charge.

I see as I take more and longer cruises my spending goes down. This time I paid for 1 set of grats, internet, a photo package , laundry and some other small stuff.

When I did the TA expenses were a bit higher but my roommate had $1400 in onboard expenses how in the world does that happen. No excursions through ship,

The lowest onboard spending for two was a 7 night RCI Indy cruise $76 for entire cruise. Prepaid grats. Drink package prepaid. What was your highest and lowest onboard spending?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably the most we have spent is about $500, mostly excursions, that was back when we paid cash for gratuities. Another time swiped my sea pass card to get off the ship on the last day and was told we had to report to the pursers desk before we could get off, they owed us $8.00, left over from on board credit.

Our first cruise (7 day) our onboard expenses ended up reaching over $1200, we pre-paid grass, but we hadn't purchased a drink package, bought a lot of photos and did a couple specialty restaurants. It was the drinks that did us in really. We had already pre-paid all excursions.

Second one, we pre-did grats, excursions and drink package and our expenses hit $303 way cheaper! I bought some photos and we did the steakhouse twice!

Haven’t tracked our spending over time on board but I know it has gone down, just like we buy much fewer souvenirs on shore now.

I’m amazed to read a 1st timer is estimated to spend about /12 the cost of the cruise on extras. I know we didn’t. But, that said, it has amazed me to see people buy multiple paintings, lots of pictures, etc while on board so maybe they do spend that much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Just curious just came back from my 14th Cruise 11 nights. Total onboard expenses were $270 for three people. Drink package pre bought, 2 grats free , $200 OBC credit. Also got $120 refunded in port charges due to itinerary charge.

I see as I take more and longer cruises my spending goes down. This time I paid for 1 set of grats, internet, a photo package , laundry and some other small stuff.

When I did the TA expenses were a bit higher but my roommate had $1400 in onboard expenses how in the world does that happen. No excursions through ship,

The lowest onboard spending for two was a 7 night RCI Indy cruise $76 for entire cruise. Prepaid grats. Drink package prepaid. What was your highest and lowest onboard spending?

I don't think your $270 spend is a fair comparison to the $1400 by your friend.

If you didn't get OBC, and free grats ( I assume you would have paid them) did not get a refund of $120 because of an itinerary change and you factor in the cost of the drink package because you still paid it even if it was in advance, what would the total be?

that would be a fair comparison assuming your friend didn't have the free grats, obc and prepaid beverage package.

If NCL gives you OBC and you don't use it, do you get it in cash at end of Cruise?

Also, if DH and myself get OBC does it matter who uses it, or is it just an amount per Cabin?

We have been on cruises where Carnival actually owed us money at the end and we got a credit on our credit card.

I'm not sure about NCL, but we've always setup 1 account for the cabin and it doesn't matter who uses it. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise where we received an onboard credit mid-cruise that was not refundable. We don't drink and we had prepaid our tips and my wife didn't want to do an excursion and she was frustrated that we spent the last night trying to find something in the gift shop.

From now on we don't prepay tips.

Least I paid was a two night cruise, I had $1 something OBC left.

A seven night cruise I had a final bell of $8

A 12 night cruise that saw Mrs Gut do some Christmas shopping ran into thousands.