Ovation 23rd november 5 night cruise to Hobart being advertised as a schoolies cruise

rkmw

on Facebook the 5 night 23rd november cruise to Hobart is being advertised as a schoolies cruise so if anyone is thinking of booking it beware, if security is on the ball everything should be ok

It is strange that Royal Caribbean would promote a cruise as a 'schoolies cruise' when their policy states: Passengers must be 21 years old (as of the day the ship sets sail) to travel on their own. Travelers under the age of 21 must travel with an adult over 21 years old in the same or an adjacent cabin. Exceptions are made for legally married couples, who must provide a copy of their marriage certificate.

P&O put a rule in place to try to prevent the mayhem that ensured on one of their ships on a Schoolies cruise a few years ago. From 1st November to 7th January, the minimum age for someone cruising on their own is 19, and every cabin should have at least one passenger who is 19 or older.

With Princess, passengers must be 21 years old (as of the day the ship sets sail) to travel on their own. Travelers under the age of 21 must travel with a passenger who is at least 21 years old.

The ad I saw advertises Schoolies Cruises 16 - 18 yr olds only. Then mentions the 3 cruises as above by RCI.

We’re booked on this cruise as a extended family group.

Having just been on Ovation with some problems with a group of nuisance preteens and young teens, we will now have to reconsider.

I can’t believe RCI would sanction this and allowing this company to advertise for 16-18 year olds, knowing their usually strict policies.

And I might add their loss of revenue as this age group would not be sold any alcohol!

Edited by megsie

The ad I saw advertises Schoolies Cruises 16 - 18 yr olds only. Then mentions the 3 cruises as above by RCI.

We’re booked on this cruise as a extended family group.

Having just been on Ovation with some problems with a group of nuisance preteens and young teens, we will now have to reconsider.

I can’t believe RCI would sanction this and allowing this company to advertise for 16-18 year olds, knowing their usually strict policies.

And I might add their loss of revenue as this age group would not be sold any alcohol!

Maybe when a 17 or 18 year old tries to book, RCI will then invoke their policy of requiring an over-21 year old to be in the same party. If the idea of a schoolies cruise concerns you, maybe you could enquire, pretending its on behalf of teenagers in your family and see what the response is.

I have already emailed RCI.

We usually have an extended family cruise late Nov-Dec each year.

Mostly families onboard with a mixture of age groups and usually with a Christmas theme that the grandkids love.

I have nothing against schoolies (been there, done that with our kids), most are hard working/studying good kids.

But for cruises being offered for 16-18 year olds only seems a bit odd if indeed RCI is involved. Thinking that entertainment would be geared for that age group.

Certainly seems like some people are booking schoolie cruises on RCI ships,

Definitely seems to be the case.

As long as RCI makes cruisers aware that these are being promoted as 16-18 yr old cruises in time to decide to continue or not with their booking.

Most school leavers are good kids but they will be on board to celebrate and party en mass.

Just having thoughts of past P&O schoolies cruises!

Definitely seems to be the case.

As long as RCI makes cruisers aware that these are being promoted as 16-18 yr old cruises in time to decide to continue or not with their booking.

Most school leavers are good kids but they will be on board to celebrate and party en mass.

Just having thoughts of past P&O schoolies cruises!

My impression of these are they are offering special schoolies type events aboard for the 16-18 year olds that have come on with their families. The rules will still apply in regards to having someone of age in each cabin.

We really don’t have a problem if that’s the case, 21+ adult in each room, probably been on heaps where this has happened at that time of year - no problems ever.

But there are some claiming to have no adult over 21 and making bookings and others saying the adult age required in Aus is 18 for an adult in each room, which legally it is.

There is no problem if there are some events either as there always are on RCI special events.

As long as there is still a mixed age group onboard, we’ll be happy but hopefully not overloaded with 16-18 yr olds.

As a family we’ve decided to wait a little while before deciding to cancel, see how the story goes.

As we have small children with us one thing for sure they shouldn’t have any trouble getting into kids club!

I cannot see too many schoolies paying those current prices without their parents help anyway.:D

Its the parents who pay Mic, get their kids out of the house for a week.:cool:

We gave our grand daughter 2 weeks on the Diamond Princess to NZ a couple of years ago as a graduation present, before she started University - Veterinary Science at James Cook Uni, Townsville. Granny accompanied her of course, not me.:halo:

Grand daughter loved it, now she is a cruise addict, like me.:')

When booking on that schoolies site, only names, one main contact person, and deposits are required. Nowhere asking for ages, so I could have booked four 17-year olds into one cabin.

Very remiss of the site not to mention prior to booking that there is an age limit imposed by the cruise lines, or even advising them to look up the ships' regulations.

Would those four kids be turned away when trying to check in?

A real trap for parents not familiar with cruising.

While a late Nov/ early Dec may seem crazy to some school-aged families, my kids private school (primary school) in QLD finishes at that time, and that is the time we often look to take cruises because they aren't the usual inflated prices other school holidays cruises experience and we get a good deal. I'd hate to turn up to an early December cruise to find it full of 'seniors' ot to have a good time.

The parents and kids find out the rules and regulations maybe much later on and the winner is the TA, if there is unrefundable deposits or part thereof. RCI might have some vacant rooms. That is if the regulations and rules are enforced.

But I’m having a guess it may be a group booking and they will filter some 18s or over into the room designations (providing they know of the ages which along the way they have to fill in RCI details and have ID) and when onboard you swap wherever. Just guessing, maybe a bit concerned about nothing!!

While a late Nov/ early Dec may seem crazy to some school-aged families, my kids private school (primary school) in QLD finishes at that time, and that is the time we often look to take cruises because they aren't the usual inflated prices other school holidays cruises experience and we get a good deal. I'd hate to turn up to an early December cruise to find it full of 'seniors' ot to have a good time.

That is exactly what happens with our extended family group. We have taken a cruise each year then as the early breakup of private schools. Each one has had a Christmas theme with plenty of family and age appropriate usual activities. But never has one of these been a senior majority cruise or 16-18 year olds, always a mixed age groups on ours - so far.

You people who can afford to take their children on cruises are very lucky, I could not afford to in my day. Too busy paying mortgage, school fees etc. on very ordinary wages.:o:(

But for those who can, good luck to thee and above all, enjoy !!:hearteyes: