Norovirus Outbreak on the Quest

mp8shnt

We were on that cruise. There wasn’t evidence of people being sick so they must’ve been confined to their cabins. The captain said 17 people which was less than the news report. There was a lot of extra cleaning and sanitizing going on and we couldn’t serve ourselves at the buffet for the last 4 days. They even sent the room stewards out to sanitize the 55 vans that they used to transport us to the Azamazing evening. There was no worry expressed by any of our fellow passengers. The staff was not going to be able to have free time in San Diego because everyone had to stay onboard and help sanitize. They did everything in their power to clean and get ready for the next cruise. I was impressed.

We were on that cruise. There wasn’t evidence of people being sick so they must’ve been confined to their cabins. The captain said 17 people which was less than the news report. There was a lot of extra cleaning and sanitizing going on and we couldn’t serve ourselves at the buffet for the last 4 days. They even sent the room stewards out to sanitize the 55 vans that they used to transport us to the Azamazing evening. There was no worry expressed by any of our fellow passengers. The staff was not going to be able to have free time in San Diego because everyone had to stay onboard and help sanitize. They did everything in their power to clean and get ready for the next cruise. I was impressed.

We are on the Quest and have not seen evidence of widespread sickness. We are fine.

Tom:)

We had GI illness on the Journey from Athens to Dubai in Oct/Nov. It started after Safaga, so possibly some guests caught it when onshore there. We had no self-service in Windows for the last few days, paper towels in the washrooms, tables in Windows sanitised after every use, staff going round wiping door handles etc. It’s common on cruise ships - doesn’t usually get such reporting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is unfortunately a common ocurrence. People do not report being sick until the disease has spread. On the Journey, from Athens to Dubai crew members were not happy at having to work more because of the outbreak of the disease. I have spoken to some of them and they complained about the lack of hygiene of some passengers, which caused the outbreak.

Rumors were also that one passenger who was confined to his room, did not stay there.

When people post outbreaks of diseases at certain ships, you get the feeling it is the fault of the ship. But in many cases are the passengers, the ones not being careful enough and considerate to others.

Ivi

It is unfortunately a common ocurrence. People do not report being sick until the disease has spread. On the Journey, from Athens to Dubai crew members were not happy at having to work more because of the outbreak of the disease. I have spoken to some of them and they complained about the lack of hygiene of some passengers, which caused the outbreak.

Rumors were also that one passenger who was confined to his room, did not stay there.

When people post outbreaks of diseases at certain ships, you get the feeling it is the fault of the ship. But in many cases are the passengers, the ones not being careful enough and considerate to others.

Ivi

I quite agree. I have regularly seen ladies on Azamara walking straight out of a washroom without washing their hands!

You won't have because it's not a noteworthy news story!

Phil

I think it is noteworthy if you are affected. We have been affected twice once on a ship and once delayed embarkation due to the cleaning. Both were on Quest and I think that the smaller ships are affected more often.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Forums mobile app

I quite agree. I have regularly seen ladies on Azamara walking straight out of a washroom without washing their hands!

Unfortunately this is also a problem in restaurants and anywhere with communal toilets.

Some people just do not seem to care at all.

I think it is noteworthy if you are affected. We have been affected twice once on a ship and once delayed embarkation due to the cleaning. Both were on Quest and I think that the smaller ships are affected more often.

It’s obviously a slow news day in San Diego. The title of this thread isn’t correct anyway as the news source has now amended the story to an outbreak of GI from the more serious Norovirus. GI is quite common. If outbreaks of GI were reported on these boards each time I’d never set foot on a cruise ship. The OP seemed to express surprise that it hadn’t been posted, hence my response.

I’ve had GI too. It’s not very pleasant, but it happens. It seems very common with Indian cruises, especially where guests do pre-cruise tours and bring it on. I personally think from my own experience that Azamara do a good job here and take it very seriously. Captain Johannes threatened people with being put off the ship if they didn’t report after days of Code Red through the Suez.

Phil

Most stories about Noro are about cruise ships, but the news this week has been how the Olympic Village is 'plagued' by it:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/02/08/what-is-norovirus-2018-winter-olympics-plagued-by-vomit-inducing-bug.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/sports/olympics/norovirus-winter-games.html

It’s obviously a slow news day in San Diego. The title of this thread isn’t correct anyway as the news source has now amended the story to an outbreak of GI from the more serious Norovirus. GI is quite common. If outbreaks of GI were reported on these boards each time I’d never set foot on a cruise ship. The OP seemed to express surprise that it hadn’t been posted, hence my response.

I’ve had GI too. It’s not very pleasant, but it happens. It seems very common with Indian cruises, especially where guests do pre-cruise tours and bring it on. I personally think from my own experience that Azamara do a good job here and take it very seriously. Captain Johannes threatened people with being put off the ship if they didn’t report after days of Code Red through the Suez.

Phil

Hi Phil, I too was wondering if it had been a slow news day in San Diego. Here's what I know of the situation, from the day the story ran.

When Quest arrived in San Diego she had four (4) guests reported with GI symptoms within the past 48 hours. Over all we have had 22 guests and 2 crew members with gastro-intestinal (GI) symptoms. All other guest have recovered and were treated by our ship’s doctors and responded well with over-the-counter medication. Meanwhile, we are taking steps to do a full barrier sanitation cleaning of the ship before she departs on Thursday, February 8 for her next cruise. We encouraged our guests and crew to wash their hands often, which health experts recommend as the best defense against stomach viruses, which each year affect as many as 300 million people worldwide—only the common cold is more prevalent.

When I travel outside the United States I carry these filled prescriptions with me every time:

1. Meclizine for sea seasickness

2. Over the counter diarrhea medicine

3. Cipro which is an antibiotic strong enough to kill Anthrax

4. Amoxicillin a general antibiotic

I take them on any trip for two reasons one I don;t want to have to rely on another countries medical system or on board a ship the ships Dr who is probably a DO or a PA and I don;t know how old the meds are. I have done this for years and years

Kathy

When I travel outside the United States I carry these filled prescriptions with me every time:

I take them on any trip for two reasons one I don;t want to have to rely on another countries medical system or on board a ship the ships Dr who is probably a DO or a PA and I don;t know how old the meds are. I have done this for years and years

Kathy

Just so you know Kathy, in the event of GI you are specifically asked by Azamara not to self medicate. If you have Captain Johannes he will mention this in his opening address during muster.

Phil

Just so you know Kathy, in the event of GI you are specifically asked by Azamara not to self medicate. If you have Captain Johannes he will mention this in his opening address during muster.

Phil

Thank you Phil. Do you know why that is?

Kathy

Thank you Phil. Do you know why that is?

Kathy

They want you to go and see the doctor and not delay things. Not to DIY when you might be doing the wrong thing. The consultation if you think you have it is free. Any time. Even if it’s the middle of the night (which happened to me). Just as added info, the doctor and nurses are excellent onboard. I speak from experience on a number of occasions, not just suspected GI. I can’t speak highly enough of the care they give.

Phil

I was on the Quest during this 'outbreak'. I met two women who were kept in their cabins. One had a stomach ache, the other threw up once. But they self reported. They were both kept in their cabins only a half day. They were called to make sure they were there. I ate dinner with both of them the next day. I wonder if they were included in the count? No salt and pepper shakers or sweetners on the table. I've been on a ship before where the library was closed - and no menu covers. That did not happen on this cruise. Although the closets where games were kept, were taped shut! It was a GREAT cruise. I just wash and wash, and don't touch anything I don't have to. What bothered me the most - all the 'dry coughing' going on! Got up and moved away from the coughers more than once.

Kathy

Kathy...as far as I know there are MDs and/or DOs on board...not PAs attending you as medical professionals. And DOs are certainly considered physicians! LuAnn

I agree, somewhat, with LuAnn. My childhood physician, Dr Bram Vanderstok, became a cruise ship doctor, from what I was told. He was a fabulous doctor and war hero. Google him.... You'll be surprised! Yes, he was one of three escapees whose story was the basis for the movie, The Great Escape.

The ships doctors are outstanding, not quacks. Really skilled making decisions affecting passengers and crew 24x7. Self medicating, particularly with antibiotics is a really risky thing to do. By all means pack things Kathy but please please please if any of your symptoms as gastric related, contact the ships medical centre. Not doing so puts the health of your cabin team at risk and potentially could spoil other people’s enjoyment of the cruise.

A couple of years ago before we set off for a cruise we had an Indian meal with our daughter and son in law and my husband ended up, by mistake, with a vindaloo which upset his stomach. He was still having problems when we were on the ship (Azamara Quest) - so we went to the medical office. He was confined to the cabin and was told he couldn’t leave until he had been clear for 24 hours. He was not given any medication, but was given a special diet. Room service was told he was on the diet and when we rang to order food they only let him order food on the diet, although I could order anything I liked. The diet was bread, plain chicken, boiled potatoes, consommé, jelly. I have to say that it worked and he was fine after that. Our cabin stewards told us that after that they cleaned our cabin after all the others, to minimise the possibility of cross contamination. Also when we got home we were sent 2 one day future passage certificates that we were able to use against our next cruise.

Everyone please don;t worry. If I get sick I know what to do. Please re-read my post again. I did not say when I cruise I take those meds with me I said when I travel.................meaning land vacations as well. When I was in Africa they came in very handy. Not for me but I gave them to a nun at a school to give to a little boy who had an ear infection and no medicine at an orphanage. Have prayed always he wasn;t allergic. I also take aspirin, cortisone cream and other such things. I appreciate all the good advice but I promise should I get sick I will do the right thing. I wash my hands even at home probably 30 times a day and it is no different on any trip I take. I believe as has been pointed out that is the best way to stay healthy.

Kathy