Has anyone used a luggage shipping service?

lvmypug

We are taking the QM2 from NYC to Southampton UK this summer. We will then be spending 6 wks traveling Europe. We would like to ship a suitcase with our formal wear back to the US. Has anyone used a luggage shipping service. I found Luggage Forward will actually come to the port and pick up the bags. Thoughts?

We have used the White Star service from our home in the US to the ship in Southampton and they came and picked up the bags on the day we asked them to. When we got to our cabin the bags were already there. So it worked out well from home to ship, and I expect would work well from ship to home.

I used Luggage Forward last year to pick up a large suitcase at the port of Portsmouth, UK and deliver to Australia. The local representative was very helpful and pleasant which was reassuring. I found their email communication to be very prompt and they answered all my anxious questions about the process. The case was delivered on time as promised and in good condition. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. It’s an expensive process but makes your trip so much more enjoyable to have what you need with you on your first leg and then to be able to get rid of it to move on to other places!

I have used Luggage Forwards a couple of time. They report must longer delivery times and their actual delivery is usually faster. At all times their communication was excellent. If you are shipping your luggage home while you are travelling, make sure there is someone at the other end to take delivery of the luggage on the delivery day. They will need a signature on the paperwork.

First time was delivery to a hotel in Anchorage (from London). Bags were delivered to the hotel concierge who held the bags for several days until we arrived.

Second was a pick-up from a river boat (Crystal).

Paperwork was sent to me at home very efficiently before our river cruise so that I had the right tags to place of the luggage even before I left for the service.

The concierge on the boat called up the contact number provided on my documentation and we agreed a time for the luggage pick-up (in this case, it was Vienna on a Sunday). Pick-up was prompt and I still around to sign for the pick-up.

Having said that, Cunard works with the White Star labelled service. The Cunard concierge should deal with all the on-board logistics for this and you should not have to worry about port pick-up.

...The Cunard concierge should deal with all the on-board logistics for this and you should not have to worry about port pick-up.

One thing. If I recall correctly, we needed to pick up our bags and take them through customs ourselves and then just drop them off at the clearly marked spot on the other side of the checkpoint.

Still very convenient.

-Mark

My suitcase is currently enjoying a world cruise on the Queen Elizabeth without me! We disembarked in San Francisco last week and will pick it up on the ships return to Southampton mid May. I didn't see it publicised but you can leave a 23kg case on board and pick it up from the dock at the end of the cruise for $50. It seemed a bargain saving not only excess baggage charges but also trying to manoeuvre two large cases around the airport. I've left all my formal wear in it as well as a thick pair of winter boots needed in New York (may have been a mistake in hindsight as I've just seen the weather forecast for the next week here.....)

My suitcase is currently enjoying a world cruise on the Queen Elizabeth without me! We disembarked in San Francisco last week and will pick it up on the ships return to Southampton mid May. I didn't see it publicised but you can leave a 23kg case on board and pick it up from the dock at the end of the cruise for $50.

Interesting! I wonder if it can work in the reverse. In 1999, we did an overnight in NY from SF and the following morning dropped off a bag with formalwear to the QE2 to be stored. (Our TA found out how to do it and I had a form for the baggage master.

Then we took off on a flight for a two week vacation in Europe without that bulky suitcase and said suitcase went on a holiday by itself, crossing back and then doing a European cruise. When we boarded the QE2 for the crossing home, our bag was waiting for us.

I had always assumed that doing such a thing again would not be permitted due to security considerations these days. But I wonder...

-Mark

We had to fill in a customs form and leave the keys with the pursers office in case an inspection was needed, but it was a very easy transaction. Luckily we live near to the port, but you could nominate another person (or carrier) to collect on your behalf. You collect when there is no ship in the terminal so I wouldn't anticipate any problem, however obviously I'm not 100% sure as at this moment it has just left Hawaii so can't say for sure that we will be reunited happily in May!

My suitcase is currently enjoying a world cruise on the Queen Elizabeth without me! We disembarked in San Francisco last week and will pick it up on the ships return to Southampton mid May. I didn't see it publicised but you can leave a 23kg case on board and pick it up from the dock at the end of the cruise for $50. It seemed a bargain saving not only excess baggage charges but also trying to manoeuvre two large cases around the airport. I've left all my formal wear in it as well as a thick pair of winter boots needed in New York (may have been a mistake in hindsight as I've just seen the weather forecast for the next week here.....)

Hmmm, I wonder if that will work for us. Leave the extra bag on the ship from Cape Town to Southampton and have the White Star service ship it home to us. It will be formal wear, so it won't be needed here at home.

It's got mine for company as we did the same. Just didn't want to take all the formal wear etc. with us as we toured California. Asked the desk if it would get an invite to the World Dinner:D