Tip sharing

SALAD MUNCHER

I know there are many threads on the gratuity sharing on Cunard, in fact I have made contributions on many occasions. Although this article is not strictly about cruising it does give an indication of how staff view the sharing of tips. Hopefully it will be ok to post this link. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/11/tgi-fridays-share-tips-waiters-kitchen-staff?CMP=fb_gu

The article is not really comparable because people in UK restaurants have a choice about tipping (and then if it's in cash or on their card), but in reality, on a ship, they have no choice.

There is one area that the two situations are comparable; both on the ship and in the UK tipping is done to avoid the companies paying tax.

I just wish that companies, either cruise or restaurants, would be honest on how tips are dealt with. I have been in a few restaurants that specify how tips are dealt with, but with most places, who knows!

I always ask if tips on the card or in cash are shared; I want them to be shared with those who actually cook my meal - and wash up afterwards.

Stuart

I know there are many threads on the gratuity sharing on Cunard, in fact I have made contributions on many occasions. Although this article is not strictly about cruising it does give an indication of how staff view the sharing of tips. Hopefully it will be ok to post this link. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/11/tgi-fridays-share-tips-waiters-kitchen-staff?CMP=fb_gu

The article is not really comparable because people in UK restaurants have a choice about tipping (and then if it's in cash or on their card), but in reality, on a ship, they have no choice.

There is one area that the two situations are comparable; both on the ship and in the UK tipping is done to avoid the companies paying tax.

Frankly I'd take anything that the Guardian prints with a pinch of salt and particularly where tax is concerned. They are the biggest Tax Avoiders in the print industry.

Meanwhile, as a retired hotel and restaurant owner I am happy to put the record straight on tipping as it was just a few years ago: I have no reason to believe it has changed.

Cash tips should be distributed on a daily basis to those working that day.

Tips on Credit Cards are 'fully accountable' for 'Tax' purposes and therefore both the company and the staff become liable for taxation.