Viking and Newcastle

GUT2407

from a NEWCASTLE news site

Could the Viking Sun from Viking Cruises be the first ocean liner to dock at the brand new cruise terminal in November? Viking Cruises will sail into Newcastle for the first time in November, allowing Hunter residents to board directly without having to travel to Sydney.

As the Scandinavian cruise company prepares to make its debut docking in Australia, the Port Of Newcastle is reviewing tenders for the construction of the $12.7 million Newcastle Cruise Terminal, slated for completion in late 2018.

Viking Cruises spokesperson Liz Sawers said cruise shipping in Newcastle injected around $11 million into the local economy and more than 900 Viking guests would spend about 12 hours in and around the city.

A unique feature of the ship is the Snow Grotto, a glass enclosed room filled with snow and part of a Nordic-inspired hot-cold spa treatment.

Bring it on, hopefully they can get their act together and make it happen by the end of the year.

Be great to see the other more affordable companies utilising the dock.

I have had my fair share of the hassles getting to White Bay, the worst being boarding busses from a RC tent to White Bay Terminal in groups then tenders out under the bridge to board Radiance of the Seas last year when Ovation had the space at OPT.

Bring it on, hopefully they can get their act together and make it happen by the end of the year.

Be great to see the other more affordable companies utilising the dock.

I have had my fair share of the hassles getting to White Bay, the worst being boarding busses from a RC tent to White Bay Terminal in groups then tenders out under the bridge to board Radiance of the Seas last year when Ovation had the space at OPT.

And ohhh to have some departing from there on decent lines.