Carnival Legend Bloodbath Brawl - more bad media coverage for cruising

kazbar

Media coverage showing cruisng in a negative light has become a bit of a common occurrence (even if the facts don't always reflect the headline). Here is the latest.

The Legend is due in to Melbourne tomorrow morning

Passengers on a 10-day cruise to the South Pacific have described it as a "cruise from hell" after alleging ongoing violence between two groups.

One passenger claims that violence has erupted on several occasions with threats made to stab and throw people overboard.

"We are so scared after witnessing a traumatic experience with yet again the same offenders. It was a bloodbath."

"We will not be leaving our cabins and are truly scared for our safety and what could happen in the next," a passenger told 9News.

The ship's operator Carnival Cruise Line has issued a statement saying: "The vast majority of the guests onboard Carnival Legend are enjoying their 10-day cruise holiday to the South Pacific."

"The ship's highly trained security staff have engaged with a small group of disruptive guests and ensured that they are fully aware of and are compliant with our zero tolerance policy."

This strong approach is in line with our commitment to safety as the number one priority.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/02/16/06/29/carnival-legend-bloodbath-on-cruise-from-hell

Oh dear, here we go again. Perhaps it is time to conduct pre embarkation police checks on prospective passengers. Sort out the undesirables from the decent folk who just want a quiet, safe cruising experience.

If these alleged 'disruptive guests' were that bad, why did the Captain not disembark them from the ship at a Port during the cruise?

A bloodbath is mighty strong language. I doubt there was any blood involved at all.

If there was I'm sure the offenders would have been put in a holding cell (or what it is called on the ship).

No doubt the media will have fun chasing this up.

A bloodbath is mighty strong language. I doubt there was any blood involved at all.

If there was I'm sure the offenders would have been put in a holding cell (or what it is called on the ship).

No doubt the media will have fun chasing this up.

The Brig on a naval ship, but on passenger ships, they generally have a 'security cabin' under the control of the ship's security officer.:evilsmile:

Now more than ever, it’s important for a savvy cruiser to be selective with both their choice of cruise line and sailing date.

The seemingly never-ending increase in the popularity of cruising means that all walks of life are choosing the sea for their holiday time.

Much the same way that I don’t venture into particular areas in my home city, I will choose a line and time of year that better reflects my cruising style. Nine times out of ten, I’m sure I’ll be avoiding these “bad eggs”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure the description of the situation is exaggerated.

None the less it is high time cruise lines started putting off trouble makers and anti-social elements to send a strong message that there is zero tolerance for intimidating, threatening or anti-social behaviour.

Just heard on the radio that the police have boarded the ship at Eden.

According to a passenger interview a group of 27 causing problems and threatening passengers and their children.

And we have booked on a cruise now being advertised as a schoolies cruise:eek:.

Just heard on the radio that the police have boarded the ship at Eden.

According to a passenger interview a group of 27 causing problems and threatening passengers and their children.

And we have booked on a cruise now being advertised as a schoolies cruise:eek:.

Was Eden on the schedule? Or was it due to the issues on board? :halo: I trust some will get put off then, not a lot of public transport from Eden, no trains, no airport - nearest is Merimbula. 1 bus a day to Melbourne and 1 to Sydney. Or they have a good walk up ye olde Princes Hwy, I will gave them a wave.:evilsmile:

Was Eden on the schedule? Or was it due to the issues on board? :halo: I trust some will get put off then, not a lot of public transport from Eden, no trains, no airport - nearest is Merimbula. 1 bus a day to Melbourne and 1 to Sydney. Or they have a good walk up ye olde Princes Hwy, I will gave them a wave.:evilsmile:

Maybe a timely warning to not pick up hitch-hikers around Eden after the bogans are released. ..

The cruise was Melbourne to Melbourne around the Sth. Pacific islands. Couldn’t see Eden on the itinerary.

Cheers, looks like Eden was an emergency stop then. It would be a brave Captain to let this bunch of bogans remain on board. I reckon Carnival Australia Head Office will be giving el Capitano some direction....'kick 'em off.' :evilsmile:

I believe not, just to meet some men dressed in blue.

Unfortunately as cruising has become more popular, the behaviour on ships has declined. My first cruise in 2004 was well controlled with everyone behaving respectfully. Just 18 months later, I noticed a change; lot more drunks, people drinking in bar instead of attending safety drill, kids running around everywhere at all times day and night.

I can think of a few basic rules that should be enforced that won't spoil the experience for anyone.

• No serving of alcohol to anyone looking over the limit; this is the law but poorly enforced on ships
  • No unaccompanied children on ship after 10PM
  • Belligerent or offensive behaviour means offloading at next port, no questions asked.

Unfortunately as cruising has become more popular, the behaviour on ships has declined. My first cruise in 2004 was well controlled with everyone behaving respectfully. Just 18 months later, I noticed a change; lot more drunks, people drinking in bar instead of attending safety drill, kids running around everywhere at all times day and night.

I can think of a few basic rules that should be enforced that won't spoil the experience for anyone.

•  
  • No serving of alcohol to anyone looking over the limit; this is the law but poorly enforced on ships

• No unaccompanied children on ship after 10PM

• Belligerent or offensive behaviour means offloading at next port, no questions asked.

Just curious as to what you define “over the limit” to be since everyone’s tolerance to alcohol is different. The problem with blanket rules is they punish people who do nothing wrong.

It’s a lazy solution to problems. The best means of deterring this type of behave is exactly what has happen in the two recent incidents, the offenders have been removed from the ship at the first opportunity.

Ultimately the problem stems from the fact personal responsibility has become a foreign concept in this country.

As for drinking at bars during safety drills, while I only cruise with RCI, it would be a nice trick since all the bars shut prior to the safety drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have seen the footage, one feels sorry for other decent pax and the international crew who now know all about the Australian culture.:o

Disgusting behaviour. They will get banned from the Carnival brand, but that's about all I think, too many involved and too many conflicting stories. I doubt any passenger would be willing to make a statement and give an undertaking to attend court.

A posse of police from Operational Support Group and Maritime Area Command met the ship, a bit big for the two Eden cops to handle.:halo:

Now other pax will be claiming compo, i.e. their cruise was impacted upon. They will be late into Melbourne tomorrow no doubt.:(

Hi Folks

Well its not OAP's fighting over Zimmer frames this time .

My daughter was on board the Legends Christmas cruise and her reports caused me to cancel our cruise on the 5th March , I took a bit of a loss on that as it was a special and it was not just a loss of deposit but a great deal more.

However it does look as I have made the correct decision as I would not wish to cruise with the load of absolute bogans that seem to be on board Carnival Legend

I would not wish to expose my family to such risks, the behavior of both crew and passengers in the film clips I have seen as nothing short of disgusting.

If this is what happens on a carnival cruise in Australia then good riddance to them .

Perhaps it is time for Carnival Cruise lines to reconsider its place in the Australian market , I for one would not wish to be on one of their ships after seeing this disgraceful incident.

for my part I dont wish to cruise with people under 30 y/o and certainly none of their children, many of whom are totally out of control

So Adults only and a min age of 30 y/o would make a good starting point Carnival , and I would wager you would sail with full ships of very happy old pensioner types and make a huge profit without any of the hassles involved with "Young People"

Slightly tounge in cheek but not totally

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

I have seen the footage, one feels sorry for other decent pax and the international crew who now know all about the Australian culture.:o

Disgusting behaviour. They will get banned from the Carnival brand, but that's about all I think, too many involved and too many conflicting stories. I doubt any passenger would be willing to make a statement and give an undertaking to attend court.

A posse of police from Operational Support Group and Maritime Area Command met the ship, a bit big for the two Eden cops to handle.:halo:

Now other pax will be claiming compo, i.e. their cruise was impacted upon. They will be late into Melbourne tomorrow no doubt.:(

If the incidents were covered by the ships CCTV cameras they can be charged with Affray, with that offence you don’t need a victim. The CCTV footage would most likely be enough for a conviction.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums