Whale Watching

Cookiegirl1329

Juneau and Icy Strait Point are the two main locations for humpback whale watch tours. All the vendors provide a good tour with the primary difference being the size of the vessel from 6 passengers to 150. The smaller vessels are subject to being canceled more often than the large ones due to weather but that doesn’t happen often. We like the ones that are about 14 passengers and are looking forward to Gastineau Guiding this season. I do see that they can be booked through the ship now in addition to Allen Marine’s larger vessels.

As far as location, the numbers of whales that are returning to Icy Strait Point have been down by about 1/3 for the past 3 years according to the park service. Reports of sightings from last year are that the whales, including calves, are skinny. The food supply just isn’t there as it has been in the past.

We are booked on an Alaska cruise early July. Several members of our group have never gone whale watching. Suggestions as to best place to book and companies you may have used.

We used Glacier Winds in Icy Strait Point in May and loved it. We saw dozens of whales and several groups bubble net feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Juneau and Icy Strait Point are the two main locations for humpback whale watch tours. All the vendors provide a good tour with the primary difference being the size of the vessel from 6 passengers to 150. The smaller vessels are subject to being canceled more often than the large ones due to weather but that doesn’t happen often. We like the ones that are about 14 passengers and are looking forward to Gastineau Guiding this season. I do see that they can be booked through the ship now in addition to Allen Marine’s larger vessels.

As far as location, the numbers of whales that are returning to Icy Strait Point have been down by about 1/3 for the past 3 years according to the park service. Reports of sightings from last year are that the whales, including calves, are skinny. The food supply just isn’t there as it has been in the past.

I agree, we were on a 14 person boat and I thought it was the perfect size. If I were to rebook another one I would look for something that size.