How much and when do you tip your butler

Airrace

Hello:

We have a suite on an up coming Celebrity Summit cruise and was wondering how much extra you tip your butler? Do you tip him a little the first day and more later. We are not very needy people but we have heard all the extra things some butlers do and would like to reward them as well in cash. We are aware of the automatic tip process and have no problem with but just like to do the right thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello:

We have a suite on an up coming Celebrity Summit cruise and was wondering how much extra you tip your butler? Do you tip him a little the first day and more later. We are not very needy people but we have heard all the extra things some butlers do and would like to reward them as well in cash. We are aware of the automatic tip process and have no problem with but just like to do the right thing.

We tip at the end of the cruise. Typically between $10-$20 per day, per couple, depending upon how much service he provides us.

Hello:

Well my suggestion is below base on Services.

No Good will be 0%

Good will be extra 15%

Very good will be extra 25 %

Excellent will be extra 30 %

They all work so hard.

They stay on Celebrity because most of them all so generous.

Oh yes tip them at the end of your cruise.

We stayed in a SkySuite on Millie a couple of years ago. Our butler was nice and excellent. He brought us tea and snacks at 4PM every day. However, we didn't ask him to do anything for us. We don't need any hand holding. I did give him $50 for the entire 14 day cruise.

No Good will be 0%

Good will be extra 15%

They all work so hard.

what are you basing this % on??

(in regards to the question asked: tips for the butler)

If we have a cocktail party in our suite that is a extra $75. If we have breakfast in our suite that’s more, ( never do lunch or dinner in the suite) if we send out a lot of laundry then some extra $. If we request heese & crackers or shrimp in the afternoon then more $.

We are relatively low maintenance so if no cocktail party or in suite breakfast or afternoon canapés and a bag of wash & fold there is only a minimal extra tip

If we have a cocktail party in our suite that is a extra $75. If we have breakfast in our suite that’s more, ( never do lunch or dinner in the suite) if we send out a lot of laundry then some extra $. If we request heese & crackers or shrimp in the afternoon then more $.

We are relatively low maintenance so if no cocktail party or in suite breakfast or afternoon canapés and a bag of wash & fold there is only a minimal extra tip

WOW!!!WOW!!!WOW!!!

As you said you are low maintenance, are those rules set by you or by Celebrity.

So what are the services that cover the automatic tip for Butler?

Last month our butler set up a sail away party for me. He went WAY above what I asked for. I left him $100 and a thank you note that night when we went to dinner. He thanked me twice for it. My mom left him another $100 at the end of the week.

Tip as YOU see fit. What our butler did all week and for that party was outstanding. We've had butlers that didn't get anything extra at the end of the week! Decide at the end of the week if an extra gratuity was earned.

No Good will be 0%

Good will be extra 15%

They all work so hard.

So if you have a $6000 pp suite and he does an excellent job, you tip him $3600 per cabin?

No Good will be 0%

Good will be extra 15%

They all work so hard.

15% of what??

If your tips are included, do you still tip the Butler?

Rollie

Not always, it depends entirely on the butler. A year ago on the Silhouette, on the 3rd day of the cruise, our butler was in our suite. When he left my sister in law ask me who he was. Third day. He was not at all available or helpful. He did not get anything extra and in our opinion, didn't earn what he got from the standard tip.

Not always, it depends entirely on the butler. A year ago on the Silhouette, on the 3rd day of the cruise, our butler was in our suite. When he left my sister in law ask me who he was. Third day. He was not at all available or helpful. He did not get anything extra and in our opinion, didn't earn what he got from the standard tip.

It would be interesting to know which level suite you were in.

On cruises, you tip on the LAST EVENING....not before service, and not "as you go". Tip whatever you feel the service was worth to you. If you use them daily, then I'd go with $10 per day, depending how needy you are. If you never use their services, then no tip is needed at all!