Summit Feb 2019 cancelled [emoji17]

bubbadogmom

[emoji174][emoji174][emoji17] CRUSHED. Just found out our Feb 2019 cruise on her is cancelled due to dry dock. Anyone k know what the changes are?

I don’t really know what to do. I want a Southern for sure, but can’t do a 8 or 12 night which seem to be the only other options.

If I try and stay with the Summit it’s either in December, right before dry dock (I’m afraid maintenance/etc might not be as good as it’s the last couple of cruises)

Or April when she comes out of dry dock but the time isn’t as good for us and it’s WAY more $......

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Went to a travel agent-sponsored event last week that featured a spokesperson from Celebrity. Talk included comments that ALL M and S-class ships would be 'Edgified' starting in 2019. Apparently these will be massive refits including all staterooms being replaced (down to bare metal) with new layouts similar to those of the Edge-class ships. She seemed to suggest these ship outages from service would be a lot longer than the normal 1-2 weeks.

If I try and stay with the Summit it’s either in December, right before dry dock (I’m afraid maintenance/etc might not be as good as it’s the last couple of cruises)

Or April when she comes out of dry dock but the time isn’t as good for us and it’s WAY more $......

Thoughts?

According to my TA, those affected should be price-protected if you book March 30, April 6, or April 13. If you book a different itinerary rather than cancel, you should get additional OBC. I'm US-based so perhaps the offer is different in Canada. You should contact Celebrity or your TA to see what the offer is.

Yes, these dry docks are so they can update the ships to fit in with the new "Edge" design. Summit has cancelled six weeks' worth of sailings. Millennium has cancelled sailings in January into February. One presumes other ships will have similar announcements shortly.

Went to a travel agent-sponsored event last week that featured a spokesperson from Celebrity. Talk included comments that ALL M and S-class ships would be 'Edgified' starting in 2019. Apparently these will be massive refits including all staterooms being replaced (down to bare metal) with new layouts similar to those of the Edge-class ships. She seemed to suggest these ship outages from service would be a lot longer than the normal 1-2 weeks.

The M-class refit will be far more extensive than S-class, with a longer drydock period. It appears these may be in the 45-60 day range for the ships to be out of service (as opposed to a "standard" 10-4 days).

I expect S-class to more in the range of 21-30 days as the cabins and public venues will have a less structural change and more cosmetic.

The Summit in the Caribbean is the most chartered ship Celebrity has. We just wont book Summit in the Caribbean. Hope you find something.

That's because it's more profitable to sell charters or operate from Florida than to sell scheduled cruises out of San Juan generally, which is why Princess and Holland America (as an example) have pulled out of San Juan.

So Celebrity offer San Juan Cruises for booking and when a charter op comes up they try to sell the Summit to the Charter and move displaced passengers. This way they can say they homeport a ship in San Juan to rope people in, then make extra $$ by chartering the ship and shuffling booked pax around to the rest of the fleet.

Sort of shady, but ALL cruise lines do it to some degree or another.

According to my TA, those affected should be price-protected if you book March 30, April 6, or April 13. If you book a different itinerary rather than cancel, you should get additional OBC. I'm US-based so perhaps the offer is different in Canada. You should contact Celebrity or your TA to see what the offer is.

Yes, these dry docks are so they can update the ships to fit in with the new "Edge" design. Summit has cancelled six weeks' worth of sailings. Millennium has cancelled sailings in January into February. One presumes other ships will have similar announcements shortly.

Thanks for the info! Calling them tomorrow [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
We are booked on the 3/30/19 cruise. I'm nervous that the dry dock will run long and we will be in the same boat.

We were on the March 2 cruise and moved to the March 30. I too am freaking out that the Summit won't be ready in time and we will have to change again. Not an easy thing when you are 5 cabins to move. lol

I am also on the March 30 sailing. One thing to keep in mind is that Celebrity might not have the option to extend the dry dock--even if they want to. The dock most likely has another boat line up to come in as soon as the Summit leaves. Allowing any ship to extend its dry dock would create a domino effect.

It sounds like a large part of the upgrade is dedicated to staterooms. If Celebrity really found themselves in a pinch, they could potentially leave some staterooms untouched and get to them later.

The Summit in the Caribbean is the most chartered ship Celebrity has. We just wont book Summit in the Caribbean. Hope you find something.

But if you want deep southern, and only can afford (time-wise) a 7 day cruise, then on Celebrity it is Summit or nothing. We have actually sailed Summit out of PR probably 6 or 7 times and never been bumped for a charter. I guess we got lucky. We tended to sail right after Thanksgiving which is probably not ideal charter time.

I am also on the March 30 sailing. One thing to keep in mind is that Celebrity might not have the option to extend the dry dock--even if they want to. The dock most likely has another boat line up to come in as soon as the Summit leaves. Allowing any ship to extend its dry dock would create a domino effect.

It sounds like a large part of the upgrade is dedicated to staterooms. If Celebrity really found themselves in a pinch, they could potentially leave some staterooms untouched and get to them later.

If they have to exit the dry dock facility at a specific time (which usually is the case) they will sail before completion and continue to work on the refurb while on revenue cruises.. Been done lots of times by lots of cruise companies, including Celebrity.

They don‘t need a dry dock to work on cabins. It can be done while docked anywhere. To decide to finish it on a revenue cruise is s different story but not related to dry dock capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums