Anchorage time to kill

Pvbgirl

Post cruise, we have arranged transportation to the airport in Anchorage but we will be arriving around noon and our flight out isn't until 7:45. Assuming we can check or pay to store our bags, is it worthwhile to go into town for a few hours? Or is there anything to do near the airport? Sadly Delta doesn’t even have a lounge in the airport.

Post cruise, we have arranged transportation to the airport in Anchorage but we will be arriving around noon and our flight out isn't until 7:45. Assuming we can check or pay to store our bags, is it worthwhile to go into town for a few hours? Or is there anything to do near the airport? Sadly Delta doesn’t even have a lounge in the airport.

We had a similar flight time. We went into Anchorage and spent around 5 hours walking around. Went to a museum, an outdoor market, and did a lot of window shopping. We had a really wonderful day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My personal preference anytime I have to spend over 4 hours laying over at an airport, would be to go "into town"....so long as the round trip doesn't take too long.

Anchorage is a pleasant city to walk around in, with interesting things to see. One thing that I enjoyed is their Veteran's Museum....

Years ago we took the Anchorage Trolley tour (http://www.alaska.org/detail/anchorage-trolley-tours) on our last afternoon in Alaska. It was the only place we saw a moose (one of my 'musts' on that trip). It was eating shrubbery in someone's front yard then slowly crossed the street right in front of us and jumped the low fence in another yard. We had a wonderful guide with lots of personal stories. We also enjoyed the Anchorage Museum of History and Art (https://www.anchoragemuseum.org/) right in downtown Anchorage.

Added: Anchorage was beautiful in the summer. The flowers were stunning (thanks in part to the long days) and everywhere.

You can easily spend a few hours walking up and down the streets of downtown Anchorage. It's a nice city - it doesn't seem as hectic as other large cities I've been to. There are plenty of small shops and places to eat right on 4th Avenue - 4th Ave is where the Alaska Cam looks out. The Alaska Visitor Center log cabin is right in the middle of everything on 4th Ave. A cab ride between the airport to downtown is probably about 7 miles or 20 minutes each way - between $20-$30. Being downtown it should be easy to find a cab back to the airport. Enjoy yourself! :)

The Anchorage Museum is an interesting site. And, as others have said, Anchorage is a very walkable, enjoyable city. The Alaska Aviation Museum is very near the airport, may even be walkable from the terminal, if one is interested in aviation history and the start of Alaska Airlines.

Definitely take the time to go into downtown. There are lots of shops and a weekend market. The trolley tour is surprisingly good. When I was up there a couple weeks ago it was $15 for an Uber from the airport to my hotel downtown. I avoid the cabs in Anchorage at all costs now that uber and lyft are up there. Also, the Nordstrom has the same prices as the ones in the "lower 48" and there isn't a sales tax! My wife always makes it a stop and saved me come money for valentines day!

If you're more outdoorsy, go hike flat top mountain. It offers some of the best views of Anchorage, Mt. Susitna, and even Denali on a clear day. It can be pretty strenuous as its mostly uphill but there's amazing views all the way up. There are some less strenuous trails that also offer amazing views.