Tell me why I should(n’t) sail Radiance

We mainly Cruise Princess.

Have had a couple on Celebrity.

Like them both.

P&O left us a bit cold.

Cunard was a bit posh for my tastes.

Looking at 34 days on Radiance.

What say Ye?

We have a preference for smaller ships rather than mega ships, and prefer Timber and Brass to Chrome and Glass.

No real interest in bells and whistles, don’t need activities around the clock to entertain us.

Have done a similar itinerary on Diamond Princess so know that doesn’t really factor in.

Thanks all.

I loved the Radiance of the seas. She is a beautiful ship. Staff are loverly. I preferred her over the voyager & the rhapsody.

I'm still a bit upset with her for breaking her azipod 3 days prior to my cruise on her. The only way to fully get over this will be to go on her again and have a brilliant time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why was Cunard too posh?

Wasn’t fond of needing to put on jacket etc just to go from my cabin to get a drink to take back t my cabin after 6:00. Was probably my biggest complaint, but then for us it’s pretty common to head back to our balcony say 9:00 ish for a while, then grab a coffee or coke just before bed.

Wasn’t fond of needing to put on jacket etc just to go from my cabin to get a drink to take back t my cabin after 6:00. Was probably my biggest complaint, but then for us it’s pretty common to head back to our balcony say 9:00 ish for a while, then grab a coffee or coke just before bed.

That does sound a bit OTT.

34 days is a long time to be on a cruise ship, especially if the itinerary isn’t that important to you. So I can see why you are seeking opinions as to whether it’s worth trying RoS.

Can I ask what sort of things you do enjoy on a criuise of such a length?

It's halfway between the ones you like, and ones you dislike. Not as quiet, high end as Celebrity and Princess and more activities than them, but not as many activities and mass market as P&O. Fair few timber/brass elements, but equally a mix of modern parts too.

Worth a try I guess.

Wasn’t fond of needing to put on jacket etc just to go from my cabin to get a drink to take back t my cabin after 6:00. Was probably my biggest complaint.

I would give Cunard another try :) (maybe when they are doing sailing from Australia).

I have so far done 5 cruises on Cunard (From Australia, UK and Europe ports) and I have never had an issuge walking in to a bar and getting wine glasses so my parents can finch of the nights before wine or even a drink after 6pm.

I have been in shorts and t-shirts at the time.

I would give Cunard another try :) (maybe when they are doing sailing from Australia).

I have so far done 5 cruises on Cunard (From Australia, UK and Europe ports) and I have never had an issuge walking in to a bar and getting wine glasses so my parents can finch of the nights before wine or even a drink after 6pm.

I have been in shorts and t-shirts at the time.

Ours was in Aus, but was a leg of a WC so that may have impacted a bit.

That does sound a bit OTT.

34 days is a long time to be on a cruise ship, especially if the itinerary isn’t that important to you. So I can see why you are seeking opinions as to whether it’s worth trying RoS.

Can I ask what sort of things you do enjoy on a criuise of such a length?

I once thought 34 was long too. No more.

We mainly like to kick back and relax and have “us time”.

We enjoy trivia, good lectures (seem rare now), not really show people, Mrs G will probably do some dance classes.

Sit on our balcony, hold hands, read.

Relax.

Nana nap.

My father & ASD brother did the Cunard queen Elizabeth and really enjoyed that cruise.

This was after dads first ever cruise on the radiance which he was determined to prove to me exactly why he hated cruise ships.

For some reason he can no longer remember not liking cruising......

My father & ASD brother did the Cunard queen Elizabeth and really enjoyed that cruise.

This was after dads first ever cruise on the radiance which he was determined to prove to me exactly why he hated cruise ships.

For some reason he can no longer remember not liking cruising......

I know a few people like that.

Gut we are similar to you, I would go through that list with the same comments. Did QM2 wouldn't go again unless it was bargain basement price. Glad I went though as I am no longer envious of those going on a Cunard ship.

We enjoyed Radiance of the seas, not too big, passengers similar age and interests to ourselves. Our favourite line is Celebrity but I would love to go on Radiance again. Particularly loved sitting out the back of the buffet on a sunny day watching the world and the water go by. Size of ship and passenger numbers worked for us, as we were cruising the south pacific with many tender ports. Took our friends on their first cruise on the Radiance, they were hooked. We have also cruise, Vision, Rhapsody and Legend and Radiance is our number 1 RC ship.

I once thought 34 was long too. No more.

We mainly like to kick back and relax and have “us time”.

We enjoy trivia, good lectures (seem rare now), not really show people, Mrs G will probably do some dance classes.

Sit on our balcony, hold hands, read.

Relax.

Nana nap.

I agree about the kicking back and relaxing. I especially agree about the shows. My wife and I go to a lot theatre and attend plenty of concerts on dry land. We don’t need to go to shows on ships.

The one thing We do insist upon though is no crowds. So ships with thousands of passengers just aren’t for us. Also it has to be all inclusive. can’t stand drinks packages and all,that faff about what level cabin you are or your points status, etc.

I actually loved the QM2 (a great experience and beautiful ship) and would happily sail her again as long as the itinerary and the pricing was right. I do find Cunard a bit pricey compared to other lines. We didn't find it too stuffy or posh at all, there were a lot of aussies on our cruise, perhaps that was a different demographic to usual.

Looks like it’s all in vain, another example of a great deal, but if you need an accessible cabin it doesn’t apply.

Guarantee about 5,800, accessible jumps to about 8,500

We mainly Cruise Princess.

Have had a couple on Celebrity.

Like them both.

P&O left us a bit cold.

Cunard was a bit posh for my tastes.

Looking at 34 days on Radiance.

What say Ye?

We have a preference for smaller ships rather than mega ships, and prefer Timber and Brass to Chrome and Glass.

No real interest in bells and whistles, don’t need activities around the clock to entertain us.

Have done a similar itinerary on Diamond Princess so know that doesn’t really factor in.

Thanks all.

My family and I sailed on the Radiance once when we were fairly novice cruisers and really didn't like it. We found the service to be very Americanised (i.e way over the top) and the food was not to our taste, but we were sailing to an American port, so it was geared mainly for those cruisers. It may be completely different to us now that we have done a few more cruises, but we didn't find it up to the same level as Princess. I agree with your comments on Cunard-we did 7 nights and found even the buffet to be super posh, but we loved it anyway.

Trish

Looks like it’s all in vain, another example of a great deal, but if you need an accessible cabin it doesn’t apply.

Guarantee about 5,800, accessible jumps to about 8,500

Sorry to read that Mr Gut. I'm sure you & your better half would have enjoyed Radiance - it is our favourite ship, as we just love the ship of glass. For it's size it has a relatively small passenger number, and whilst not having some of the 'all the fun of the fair' attractions, works just fine for us.

We also like the atrium design vs the promenade design of the newer/larger ships.

We will be back on-board in Jan & are really looking forward to her.

Sorry to read that Mr Gut. I'm sure you & your better half would have enjoyed Radiance - it is our favourite ship, as we just love the ship of glass. For it's size it has a relatively small passenger number, and whilst not having some of the 'all the fun of the fair' attractions, works just fine for us.

We also like the atrium design vs the promenade design of the newer/larger ships.

Agent is seeing what they can do. It’s a common problem, our NCL cruise in December 🤞 🤞 🤞 we could have got a guarantee for about 1,500 ec, but an accessible is only B.B. so over 2,000.

I guess it’s just something I have to learn to live with.

So many cruise friends love the RotS as their favourite Royal ship.

Agent is seeing what they can do. It’s a common problem, our NCL cruise in December 🤞 🤞 🤞 we could have got a guarantee for about 1,500 ec, but an accessible is only B.B. so over 2,000.

I guess it’s just something I have to learn to live with.

Hopefully the agent can get something sorted for you.

You call Cunard posh!! I found ROTS posh. Not the ship; but the passengers... I compare ROTS to Myer a classy great staffed ship (But the passengers). To my Carnival which is K-Mart; tickes all my boxes, cheaper & you will never know what type of person you will bump into...

But there are so so many RCCL fans in Australia & this is there favourite ship.

Hope you get the price you want GUT & keep on cruising..