Antigua....Elizabeth Bell or Other Walking Tour

cc cruiser

We plan on using the ship's transportation to Antigua. Once there, we would like to do a walking tour. We are debating whether to pre-book with Elizabeth Bell ($25) or wait til we get to te jade factory and find an independent tour operator ($10-15.) I would imagine all walking tours would include the same sights. Does anyone have a recent experience they can share?

We had a port call in Puerto Quetzal this winter and took the ship's transportation to Antigua. In advance of the cruise, I'd contacted Elizabeth Bell to find out about her walking tour. It seemed very confined to the Central Plaza area. It did not include, for example, the Arch, symbol of Antigua, although when pressed, they said they'd walk us over there at the end.

We opted not to get a guide. There's a good bit of info on line, and the historic area of Antigua is very small and it's easy to get around on your own.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a guide (or even that you shouldn't book Bell), they can certainly add to your knowledge and enjoyment. Just don't assune they will all take in the same things.

Have a great trip!

It's been a number of years but we took the Elizabeth Bell tour while in Antigua. It was OK, but she spent a lot of time talking about how much good she had done for the community. Also, we were taken to a jade store where (it was rumored) she has an interest. Later from Antigua we took a 5 day tour of Guatemala with a young man who was born in Antigua. He confessed that Ms Bell is not too popular with the natives because of her attitude.

Thanks for the input! Based on this and Trip Advisor reviews, I think we will just wait til we get there and see if one of the guides suits our fancy. We'll go prepared with a walking map & CC recommendations.

And Turtles06, I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your Jewel review. Even though our itinerary is different, I got a lot of good information...and inspiration...from your info!

• 1 month later...
And Turtles06, I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your Jewel review. Even though our itinerary is different, I got a lot of good information...and inspiration...from your info!

I just saw your post and wanted to thank you for your very kind words, they are much appreciated.