CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

East Coast Departures

Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:03 AM.
Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
2,530 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
We will be at the Summit, Sunday, October 7th. We will stay at the Courtyard Downtown Manhattan / World Trade Center Area. Our cabin is interior. I have decided to request a UBER for the day of the boarding, at what time do you recommend me to request the service? I would not like to wait a long time in line.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Eclipse Pacific Coastal October 13, 2019
Celebrity Eclipse Hawaii to Vancouver October 3, 2019
Celebrity Eclipse Vancouver to Hawaii September 22, 2019
Celebrity Silhouette Southern Caribbean March 24, 2019
Celebrity Silhouette Grand Cayman plus ABC Islands March 15, 2019
Celebrity Summit New England & Canada October 07, 2018
Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean March 18, 2018
Oasis Of The Seas Eastern Caribbean March 17, 2016

Rhapsody Of The Seas Western Caribbean July 16, 2006
Splendour Of The Seas British Islands & Norwegian Fjords July 28, 2000

Splendour Of The Seas Millennium Southern Caribbean December 28, 1999
Disney Magic Bahamas March 29, 1999

Enchantment Of The Seas Western Caribbean August 16, 1998
Nordic Empress Southern Caribbean December 29, 1997

Nordic Empress Bahamas July 22, 1996
Virginia
303 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
I’m sorry if this has been answered a hundred times before, but this is a really, really long thread!

Preplanning our cruise on Anthem out of Bayonne for next April, and don’t have a clue about where to stay. We’ll be driving up the turnpike from VA, so really open to any nice, clean, safe place to rest our heads. Likely won’t be going into NYC, so don’t need easy access to ferry.

We have Marriott and Hilton points, so preference to one of those chains (though not a requirement).

And price is not a huge factor — just not into Ritz Carlton tier!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boston area
20,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by kardut
I’m sorry if this has been answered a hundred times before, but this is a really, really long thread!

Preplanning our cruise on Anthem out of Bayonne for next April, and don’t have a clue about where to stay. We’ll be driving up the turnpike from VA, so really open to any nice, clean, safe place to rest our heads. Likely won’t be going into NYC, so don’t need easy access to ferry.

We have Marriott and Hilton points, so preference to one of those chains (though not a requirement).

And price is not a huge factor — just not into Ritz Carlton tier!

Thanks in advance!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It looks like you're going on a 7 day Bermuda cruise. Are you planning to park at the port?

No Ritz Carlton at Newark Airport! In Elizabeth look at Embassy Suites, Courtyard, and Residence Inn on International Blvd. If you want to stay further away in a more low key suburban area, look at the Cranbury Courtyard at exit 8A on the Turnpike or Hampton Inn at exit 8. On a Saturday morning it should be about a 45 minute drive to Cape Liberty.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol

2 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
We are flying into EWR Tuesday around noon and need to get to Hyatt House. There are 6 of us with 6 bags of luggage. What is the best way to get there? Public transportation is fine. Then on Thursday morning we need to get from the hotel to the port and then port back to EWR. Thanks for any help you can give .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boston area
20,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by suegeorge
We are flying into EWR Tuesday around noon and need to get to Hyatt House. There are 6 of us with 6 bags of luggage. What is the best way to get there? Public transportation is fine. Then on Thursday morning we need to get from the hotel to the port and then port back to EWR. Thanks for any help you can give .
Can you split into two groups and use Uber? Public transit from the airport will be $67.50 and involves the Airtrain, NJ Transit train, PATH, and a short walk. You can price Dial7 and Carmellimo, but I think it will be a lot more. You can also take 2 Uber's to Newark Penn Station and PATH for $2.75/pp.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol

Bayonne, New Jersey
765 Posts
Joined May 2011
Hey everyone! Great news! The new road from Turnpike exit 14A is finally open. You can now access the port directly by staying to the left out of the tolls, go up the ramp, and then stay to the right and follow the sign to Chosin Few Way. Follow it to the end, make a left, and you will be on Goldsborough Drive right to the port. As of right now, the road is only open to Chosin Few, not going the other way, but this may change any day.
259 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
i'm looking at a certain park/sleep/cruise package that offers three different hotel options: Ramada Plaza, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn (Carteret). Is any one of these better than the others? Thanks for your insight.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boston area
20,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by Quo Vadis?
i'm looking at a certain park/sleep/cruise package that offers three different hotel options: Ramada Plaza, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn (Carteret). Is any one of these better than the others? Thanks for your insight.
Folks have reported being very happy with the Ramada and Crowne Plaza. No one has reported on the Holiday Inn, which is the only option for 5 people in a room.

I personally have used the Ramada and was very satisfied with it. It's very close to NJ Turnpike exit 14 in a more isolated area north of the airport. Coming from exit 14 you need to be on I78 west in the local lanes to be able to get off at Frontage Road, which is the first exit. The Crowne Plaza is on routes 1&9, which is a major truck route.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol

NJ/NV
3,482 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Quo Vadis?
That Holiday Inn at Exit 12 is a good half hour from the port so if you chose that option be prepared to head up a bit earlier.
Langhorne, PA
128 Posts
Joined May 2012
BayonneJoe - thanks for the update on 14A. We'll be on Adventure this Friday, so this info is great to know.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue & Den

Sovereign of the Seas, Caribbean, 8/94
Zenith, Bermuda 9/04
Empress of the Seas, Bahamas (storm detoured from Bermuda) 9/06
Majesty (NCL), Bermuda, 9/08
Explorer of the Seas, Bermuda, 9/12
Summit, Bermuda, 9/10, 8/14, 6/15, 6/16

Adventure of the Seas, Canaveral & Bahamas 6/18

USA
758 Posts
Joined May 2004
Ok Carol I need your opinion..

Rethinking our stay in Elizabeth, NJ. What about Jersey City? Our cruise (The Anthem) will depart out of Cape Liberty on a Thur in Oct and we'll be flying in the day before into EWR. We will not be renting a car. We'll be flying home out of LQA on a Sat.

Thanks in advance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAST

Carnival Ecstasy~Western Caribbean~6/99 Just OK
Caribbean Princess~Eastern Caribbean~10/02/04 Awesome!
Caribbean Princess~Eastern Caribbean~10/14/06 Awesome again!
Serenade of the Seas~Alaska inside passage 06/08 Beautiful! RCCL
Emerald Princess~Eastern Caribbean...again 10/09 WONDERFUL!
Golden Princess~Alaska inside passage 06/10/10 Wonderful but least favorite ship!
Crown Princess~Southern Caribbean...11/11 Great but some issues LOVE the 3 sea days!
Ruby Princess~Eastern Caribbean...4/21/13 CANCELED-Bummer
Caribbean Princess~Western Caribbean out of Houston..11/23/13 THANKSGIVING CRUISE. VERY disappointing cruise. Bad weather. Did NOT feel like the Caribbean.
Ruby Princess~Eastern Caribbean~11/8/14~PERFECT seas WONDERFUL!
Explorer of the Seas~5/27/16~Alaska Inside Passage~Beautiful ship but disappointed RCCL
Regal Princess~Eastern Caribbean w/St Kitts~2/17~LOVED this ship. Great cruise!
Royal Princess~Eastern 5 day~11/17

Happy Sailing!

~Pam~
Boston area
20,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by P.A.
Ok Carol I need your opinion..

Rethinking our stay in Elizabeth, NJ. What about Jersey City? Our cruise (The Anthem) will depart out of Cape Liberty on a Thur in Oct and we'll be flying in the day before into EWR. We will not be renting a car. We'll be flying home out of LQA on a Sat.

Thanks in advance.
You're flying in early on a Wed, which is a business travel night, so hotel prices in Jersey City are expensive. You're 4 people - are you looking for 1 room or 2 rooms? What is your budget? Are you thinking of going into NYC for the afternoon and evening? If so, where are you headed? Where are you actually booked now?

In addition to paying a lot more to be in Jersey City, you will have to pay about $40-50 for an Uber to get there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol

USA
758 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by 138east
You're flying in early on a Wed, which is a business travel night, so hotel prices in Jersey City are expensive. You're 4 people - are you looking for 1 room or 2 rooms? What is your budget? Are you thinking of going into NYC for the afternoon and evening? If so, where are you headed? Where are you actually booked now?

In addition to paying a lot more to be in Jersey City, you will have to pay about $40-50 for an Uber to get there.
There are four of us..2 rooms. Currently we are staying in Elizabeth at the Country Inn. Don't think we will be planning on going into to NY.

Thanks Carol!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAST

Carnival Ecstasy~Western Caribbean~6/99 Just OK
Caribbean Princess~Eastern Caribbean~10/02/04 Awesome!
Caribbean Princess~Eastern Caribbean~10/14/06 Awesome again!
Serenade of the Seas~Alaska inside passage 06/08 Beautiful! RCCL
Emerald Princess~Eastern Caribbean...again 10/09 WONDERFUL!
Golden Princess~Alaska inside passage 06/10/10 Wonderful but least favorite ship!
Crown Princess~Southern Caribbean...11/11 Great but some issues LOVE the 3 sea days!
Ruby Princess~Eastern Caribbean...4/21/13 CANCELED-Bummer
Caribbean Princess~Western Caribbean out of Houston..11/23/13 THANKSGIVING CRUISE. VERY disappointing cruise. Bad weather. Did NOT feel like the Caribbean.
Ruby Princess~Eastern Caribbean~11/8/14~PERFECT seas WONDERFUL!
Explorer of the Seas~5/27/16~Alaska Inside Passage~Beautiful ship but disappointed RCCL
Regal Princess~Eastern Caribbean w/St Kitts~2/17~LOVED this ship. Great cruise!
Royal Princess~Eastern 5 day~11/17

Happy Sailing!

~Pam~
Boston area
20,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by P.A.
There are four of us..2 rooms. Currently we are staying in Elizabeth at the Country Inn. Don't think we will be planning on going into to NY.

Thanks Carol!!
Keep your reservation at Country Inns. If you want to go into NYC, Uber to Newark Penn Station and take NJ Transit to midtown($5.25) or PATH to downtown ($2.75). With 4 people sharing the Uber, it will be cheaper than taking the train from the Newark Airport Station where a hefty surcharge is in effect.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol

Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
2,530 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
thanks for not answering my question
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Rochester, New York USA
323 Posts
Joined Jan 2000
Originally posted by gerelmx
We will be at the Summit, Sunday, October 7th. We will stay at the Courtyard Downtown Manhattan / World Trade Center Area. Our cabin is interior. I have decided to request a UBER for the day of the boarding, at what time do you recommend me to request the service? I would not like to wait a long time in line.

11am

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Judie
Boston area
20,202 Posts
Joined Jan 2007

thanks for not answering my question
Sorry you didn't get a response. I don't sail on the Summit and was reluctant to specify a time because I think the ship boards later than Anthem and Adventure. I can tell you that it should take no more than a half hour to get from your hotel to Cape Liberty.

Waiting in line is always unpredictable. If you get there early (10:00-11:00), the checkin lines should be short, but you may have to sit in the terminal waiting room until the actual boarding process starts. I think that Celebrity works a bit differently from Royal Caribbean.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol

Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
2,530 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Judie and Carol thanks, this will be my first time in NYC so I am bit nervous
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Rochester, New York USA
323 Posts
Joined Jan 2000
Judie and Carol thanks, this will be my first time in NYC so I am bit nervous

I’m recommending Uber at 11am. That should get you to terminal about 11:30-11:45. Perfect.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Judie
Bonita Springs, Florida
250 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Originally posted by 138east
Folks have reported being very happy with the Ramada and Crowne Plaza. No one has reported on the Holiday Inn, which is the only option for 5 people in a room.

I personally have used the Ramada and was very satisfied with it. It's very close to NJ Turnpike exit 14 in a more isolated area north of the airport. Coming from exit 14 you need to be on I78 west in the local lanes to be able to get off at Frontage Road, which is the first exit. The Crowne Plaza is on routes 1&9, which is a major truck route.
Is this the Airport Ramada? I have tons of Wyndham points I would like to use however, the only Ramada I found had less than good reviews. Any help is appreciated. We are sailing 7/15 on the Summit and are looking to come down from the Boston area the day before.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dave & Deanna-Bonita Springs, Florida .......... Cheers!

Sep-2006 Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas 4 Night Bahamas Cruise
Dec-2008 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise
Nov-2011 Carnival Ecstasy 5 Night Bahamas Cruise
Oct-2012 Carnival Imagination 5 Night Bahamas Cruise
Mar-2014 Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise
Dec-2014 Celebrity Constellation 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise
Nov-2015 Celebrity Equinox 11 Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise
Jan-2016 Celebrity Constellation 2 Night Bahamas Cruise
Mar-2016 Celebrity Reflection 7 night Eastern Caribbean Getaway Cruise
July-2016 Norwegian Dawn 7 Night Bermuda Cruise
Sep-2016 Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration 2 night Bahamas Cruise
Nov-2016 Celebrity Eclipse 14 Night Exotic Southern Caribbean Cruise