Sneaking alcohol on windsurf in Caribbean in March

Marble29

You are allowed to bring wine on board - if consumed in the dining room or bar there is a corkage fee - if consumed in your room, there is no fee.

I don't believe you allowed to bring alcohol onboard. While on our caribbean cruise, we purchased the drink package and thought it was a good deal since we were on the ship a good part of the time. For our Athens - Istanbul cruise, we did not, since we were touring a lot, wanted to experience the local foods, and really only spent the evenings on the ship.

Why?

I agree. I never think of Windstar passengers as the type to try and sneak alcohol aboard, and I've never noticed anyone trying.

From Windstar's webpage:

Bottles or other containers of beer and other alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship, with the exception of wine and champagne. If the beverages are purchased from the vessel's shops or at ports of call, they will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. Our staff will make arrangements to store the items for you during the cruise. Guests can bring wines and champagne purchased from outside the ship onboard for consumption in their stateroom. For consumption in the restaurants or bars, a corkage fee will be applied to the guests onboard account.

Having sailed Windstar now 5 times I find the question of sneaking booze funny. If you can afford to cruise and travel to the far flung ports of Windstar why are you worried about sneaking a $20 bottle of old crow on board. Windstar is not you mother's Carnival.

There are probably as many reasons as there are people. The drink package is quite expensive for some who probably have saved for a long time to fulfill their dream of cruising with sail. However , if the cruise line says no, they should respect the rules.

We love having a drink in our room while getting ready for dinner. One of our favorite traditions! And, doing it with local wine is all the better!

Just off Windsurf and they did not care a bit if you brought on wine. Just make sure to take your own wine screw and enjoy some in your cabin with the room service or chocolate cake!

There are probably as many reasons as there are people. The drink package is quite expensive for some who probably have saved for a long time to fulfill their dream of cruising with sail. However , if the cruise line says no, they should respect the rules.

Well put!

• 1 month later...
Having sailed Windstar now 5 times I find the question of sneaking booze funny. If you can afford to cruise and travel to the far flung ports of Windstar why are you worried about sneaking a $20 bottle of old crow on board. Windstar is not you mother's Carnival.

I that ^^^^that^^^is well put. If a bottle of booze is going to break the bank, then maybe you should consider changing your priorities and downside your vacation plans.

We are all adults here right?

I read that drinks from room service are included in the beverage package. Has anyone used this service? Do the cocktails arrive fairly promptly and enthusiastically? We would naturLly tip extra, in cash, as we do when we have food delivered via room service. I have no desire to get into all the methods for sneaking alcohol onboard (wine bra, anyone??), but we agree with the above poster and enjoy a drink in our cabin while getting ready for dinner.

I read that drinks from room service are included in the beverage package. Has anyone used this service? Do the cocktails arrive fairly promptly and enthusiastically? We would naturLly tip extra, in cash, as we do when we have food delivered via room service. I have no desire to get into all the methods for sneaking alcohol onboard (wine bra, anyone??), but we agree with the above poster and enjoy a drink in our cabin while getting ready for dinner.

I do not remember cocktails being on the room service menu. They are very flexible, and perhaps they will accommodate your request. Food service and beverage service are separate departments, so that might be an issue. Every cabin has a well stocked mini-bar, restocked daily, and if you have particular requests for items for it, they will accommodate them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
We just got off a BtB a few weeks ago. Windstar did confiscate liquor (from MANY passengers) and returned it the night before cruise ended.

Was this in Tahiti? Do they search the carryon? Or was it from the regular sized luggage? Thank you in advance for any info

Marble29- I think that they are pretty strict, since they searched our bags at embarkation and then our purses and backpacks every time that we returned to the ship on both of our Caribbean cruises.

We have always taken the beverage package and we just made our final payment for this year's trip and bought it again. For us it a good value...but we tend to enjoy our drinks on vacation.

Elklemi- I am surprised to hear that your sailing didn't have the caribbean beers. We sailed the Grenadines itinerary in Dec 2016 on the Windstar and a roundtrip from San Juan last year Dec, on the Star Pride and both had beers from at least some of the islands that we were visiting: Banks, Piton etc. and for some reason Red Stripe.