Marriott hotels-Anchorage

Bruin Steve

Arriving in Anchorage one night before my June 29 cruise out of Seward on Millennium--Thursday June 28 at 2:30 pm. Last time we did this, we stayed at the Microtel by Windham...This time we are looking at staying at a Marriott product--largely because we have around 40,000 Marriott points--and most of the Marriott there are the Category 6 or 7--requiring 30,000 or 35,000 points. The cash price for all of these are between $215 and $240. Also nice to have an airport shuttle...These five Marriotts seem to have an Airport Shuttle:

Courtyard Anchorage Airport (Cat 7)

Fairfield Inn Midtown (Cat 6)

Springhill Suites Midtown (Cat 7)

Residence Inn Midtown (Cat 7)

Springhill Suites University Lake (Cat 6)

The plan would be to check in, relax, find some dinner, settle in for a good night's sleep, then catch some sort of transportation to the port in Seward. Last time we took the Seward Bus Company's tour--picked us up at the hotel early morning, then took us to the Wildlife preserve, then on to the ship.

An alternative might be to head directly from the Airport to Seward (rental car?) and stay there.

Anyone stayed at these Marriott's before? (We've only stayed at the Marriott Downtown Anchorage--no airport shuttle). Any opinions?

Any other thoughts? Thanks...

I've stayed at both Springhill Suites and the Airport Courtyard.

I like the setting for the University Lake Springhill, but it's not near any restaurants.

The midtown Springhill is near an Outback Steakhouse.

But... I think my first choice would be to get a car and head to Seward.If you land at 2:30 you could be on the road by around 4pm. Stop in Girdwood for dinner. Then the next morning in Seward you could do a Kenai Fjords cruise before boarding your cruise ship.

Hertz is the only rental agency in Seward and the one-way rental will be a little more costly. But the sooner your reserve, the better the price.

Travelocity is now showing $494 for a one day, one way rental of an Full size SUV (there will be six of us with luggage). I haven’t checked through any discount codes yet. Still, sounds VERY steep. If we take the hotel airport shuttle and the Seward Bus Co. tour, we’re only at $420...and we don’t have to hassle with getting and returning the car, topping off the gas, etc. Hopefully, we can walk to a dinner from whichever hotel.

The drive from Anchorage to Seward is one of the most scenic in the state. The price difference seems pretty minor based on being able to stop along the way.

I like Springhill Suites by University Lake and with a car would be my choice. Without, the airport Courtyard would be my pick as there are more restaurant choices nearby. The Lakefront Millennium Hotel is across the street and they have a dandy outdoor deck/restaurant where you can watch the float planes come and go at the world’s busiest seaplane base.

Travelocity is now showing $494 for a one day, one way rental of an Full size SUV (there will be six of us with luggage). I haven’t checked through any discount codes yet. Still, sounds VERY steep. If we take the hotel airport shuttle and the Seward Bus Co. tour, we’re only at $420...and we don’t have to hassle with getting and returning the car, topping off the gas, etc. Hopefully, we can walk to a dinner from whichever hotel.

Doesn't sound like any interest or plans for anything but getting on the ship? I too would suggest - IF you aren't getting any car, the airport Courtyard.

But be sure, if you haven't done so already, you figure out how you wish to spend your time, for me, my Alaska "time" is of far more "value" than my cash. :)

Getting to see a lot of Alaska is not really our priority this time. This will be our third Alaska Cruise and we've done the full cruisetour thing before from Fairbanks on down. The main reason we have for going this time is that it is a family trip and we have my sister and brother-in-law and my brother-in-law's brother and his wife going as well...though they've also all done Alaska cruisetours in the past...And, just over a week after this one ends, we are flying out to Prague for a two week river cruise/vacation on the Danube. When we originally booked this, we thought we'd all fly up a few days early and spend some extra time...but my nephew is getting married the Sunday before this (Friday embarkation) cruise and my sister is concerned that she will have a lot of out-of-town guests hanging around a few days after the event...So, The day before the cruise was as early a date as anyone was confident in leaving. It will be a hectic time, so we've decided not to try to squeeze much in before the cruise.

Considering all of that, probably best to just fly in, stay at the Courtyard (sounding like the best option. Thank you, everyone, for the confirmation) and relaxing, getting some dinner and getting a good night's sleep. Unless I can find a great deal on a rental SUV, looks like that same Seward Bus Line tour I took last time may be the best option for getting us to the ship.

Interested in this info as well. Looking for a place to stay for a night or two before our precruise landtour starting in Anchorage. We won't have a rental car, so options within walking distance, or hotel shuttles would be a big plus.

In a couple days, it is significant what can be added with a car. Especially with some cruise tours that are point to point. So much is missed in between.

Perhaps, see what you would like to occupy your time with before deciding?

How is the Fairfield? The Courtyard charges $25 extra for breakfast while the Fairfield has free hot breakfast included...and costs 5,000 less in Marriott points.

Also, there appears to be a number of restaurants within about two long blocks north: TGI Friday, Applebees, Cattle Company steakhouse, Sea Galley, Golden Corral (though I'll probably keep away from Golden Corral)...

How is the Fairfield? The Courtyard charges $25 extra for breakfast while the Fairfield has free hot breakfast included...and costs 5,000 less in Marriott points.

Also, there appears to be a number of restaurants within about two long blocks north: TGI Friday, Applebees, Cattle Company steakhouse, Sea Galley, Golden Corral (though I'll probably keep away from Golden Corral)...

You are going to Alaska and going to eat at TGI Fridays. Really?

You mention the Fairfield Inn in Midtown. That is located in what is now becoming hotel row in Anchorage. There are nine hotels between Tudor Road and International Airport Road on C street, two more close by and two more going up. This stretch probably provides the best selection of eateries. For quality cuisine, I would choose either Villa Nova (one block due west of the Fairfield on Arctic) or Doriola's slightly more than a block away on Tudor. It looks to me TGI Friday's might be your best bet for run of the mill food. Stay away from Applebee's. The Cattle Company Steakhouse might be better than TGI Friday's but their reputation has been up and down. My brother-in-law recently ate there and had good things to say.

My second choice, if I were visiting Anchorage without a vehicle and had ruled out downtown but had a little time to kill before traveling by air out or heading down to one of the two cruise ports. I would definitely consider the Dimond Center Hotel. It is south of midtown but almost equal distance from the airport as many of the others with free shuttle. This hotel is located by the Dimond Center Mall parking lot which is the largest Mall in Alaska. Directly to south and adjacent to the hotel is one of the largest Wallmarts in the State.

If you want to be by the Seaplane base at International there is a lots of fun walks and things to see around the lake, like the air museum. However, I'm not enamored by the restaurants around there but there are a few of them. So I would say the Courtyard would be my third choice. The closest to fine dining would be the "Lake Shore Hotel (Millennium) almost across the street from the Courtyard with a dining room almost right on Lake Spenard. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2516224

I guess i can't recommend it since I haven't actually stayed there yet, but I have a reservation at the Fairfield Midtown in June 2018 for one night after our Denali trip & leaving for our cruise the next day. The reviews are good, and it has a free hotel shuttle.

Forgot to say and can't edit: I lucked into a fabulous Marriott Rewards price for the Fairfield back in July for $123.00 per night. :D Price now is like $85 more. I thought about moving closer to the airport since we will be meeting our shuttle for the train there (assuming we go w/ the HAL train that leaves at 1:00 PM), but I can't give up that price. :)

Based on your price deal from Marriott, I would say staying in the Fairfield was a wise choice. The only advantage I can imagine you would gain by staying at the Courtyard over the Fairfield is if you intend to walk from the hotel to the terminal. It is about 1.2 miles from the Courtyard to the terminal, as the crow flies, and 2.75 from the Fairfield. Splitting hairs if you are riding in a vehicle and desire a time to get there benefit of one over the other.