Cabin assignments

my heart will go on

Can someone explain to me how the cabin assignments work on guaranteed cabins?

Our cruise leaves in 12 days and still nothing. Is anyone else waiting for cabin assignments on HAL for cruises leaving October 1st or earlier?

Thanks.:)

We usually see ours about a week before sailing date if I'm remembering correctly.

Not sure how they do it.....I am 9 days before my cruise and just got my cabin assignment yesterday!! Its so hard to be patient!! They told my TA 10 days out and sure enough thats what it was! We had made reservations a year ahead..

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No one knows how HAL decides when guaranteed cabins will be assigned.

Some people have gotten their assignments 2 - 3 weeks before their cruise.

Others have gotten their assignments just a couple of days before their cruise.

And then there have been people who got their cabin assignment at the pier.

Keep checking your "Luggage Tag" on HAL's assignment. Hope you get a good cabin.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You should get your assignment soon, but once we got ours at the pier. If you don't have your assignment before you leave, no worries! Our best assignment was the one we got at the pier. Had to go find the porter with the manifest (all the luggage porters know who had it) so they could mark our luggage tag with the room number, no biggy, they have markers and tags.

Let us know when you get your assignment, and if you are comfortable, tell us if you got any category upgrade from what you booked. We're waiting for an assignment for an Oct 20th departure... so around two weeks out I'll start checking - then I'll check 3 times a day! Fingers crossed for all of us! m--

So, should we leave our luggage even if we don't have our cabin number on our luggage tags? They have our name... I guess they'll find us eventually. ;p

We're already in a signature suite, so maybe we'll get bumped up to a pinnacle suite! lol

I hope you do!

The way I nudge the assignments into action is to print out one luggage tag. Usually the very next day, we get assigned, so I get the rip up that tag and print out the new one.

So, should we leave our luggage even if we don't have our cabin number on our luggage tags? They have our name... I guess they'll find us eventually. ;p

We're already in a signature suite, so maybe we'll get bumped up to a pinnacle suite! lol

I would track down a porter with a manifest and get your cabin number onto the luggage tag. I would not want to leave luggage at the pier without a room number. And you'll most likely have your room number very soon. m--

We are four days from cruising and still no cabin. We have received two upgrade offers. The first was from inside to outside for $129 each. The second was for the exact same upgrade for $79. Fortunately we said no the first time. We have also declined the second offer. The categories they offered were in the bowels of the ship and far forward. We might still get assigned those cabins but we won't have paid extra. Don't like not knowing but we rolled the dice and will have to wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are four days from cruising and still no cabin. We have received two upgrade offers. The first was from inside to outside for $129 each. The second was for the exact same upgrade for $79. Fortunately we said no the first time. We have also declined the second offer. The categories they offered were in the bowels of the ship and far forward. We might still get assigned those cabins but we won't have paid extra. Don't like not knowing but we rolled the dice and will have to wait.

I'm at a loss as to why they have to wait so long. We started with a basic verandah cabin, then the price dropped, by like $3000. So I demanded something. We ended up with cruise credits & now a signature suite, but as a guarantee. I used to know what cabin we were in, but now we wait... 11 days out and nothing. And for you, 4 days out is stupid. This will be our last cruise with HAL. Going back to Celebrity.

Did you ask which cabins were available for the upsell? I have been able to do this and received/selected some very good cabins.

This might cheer you up. We bought a balcony gty cabin on a Carnival ship three days prior to sailing. When we checked, there were only two balcony cabins available. Both were OK, not perfect spots but acceptable. We were happy just to get on the ship for the price we paid.

This was our expectation. So much so that we hardly paid attention to the subsequent assignment the next day. We do carry on only so there was no need to fill out any bag tags at the port.

Finished the formalities, boarded, and headed to our cabin. MUCH to our surprise we had been upgraded to the primo balcony cabin. Mid ships, high up, one floor from the pool and bar, quiet sundeck area just a few steps down the hall. I can only assume the previous assignee got upgraded to a suite at the last minute.

We often do late booking gtys. You just never know. Have patience, remain hopeful, and the very best of luck to you!

If you do not get upgraded it will still be a fabulous cruise.

This might cheer you up. We bought a balcony gty cabin on a Carnival ship three days prior to sailing. When we checked, there were only two balcony cabins available. Both were OK, not perfect spots but acceptable. We were happy just to get on the ship for the price we paid.

This was our expectation. So much so that we hardly paid attention to the subsequent assignment the next day. We do carry on only so there was no need to fill out any bag tags at the port.

Finished the formalities, boarded, and headed to our cabin. MUCH to our surprise we had been upgraded to the primo balcony cabin. Mid ships, high up, one floor from the pool and bar, quiet sundeck area just a few steps down the hall. I can only assume the previous assignee got upgraded to a suite at the last minute.

We often do late booking gtys. You just never know. Have patience, remain hopeful, and the very best of luck to you!

If you do not get upgraded it will still be a fabulous cruise.

Gotta love surprises. We're looking forward to it to be sure. It leaves on our first wedding anniversary.

Our latest assignment was our best upgrade ... from an interior to a verandah.

Okay, but you leave out a key bit of information, in our view... where? Was it a fully obstructed veranda, or perhaps a cabin directly over the disco?

There are so many variables in cabin location, that simply saying 'we got an upgrade from an interior to a veranda' is not necessarily the whole picture. ;)

Gotta love surprises. We're looking forward to it to be sure. It leaves on our first wedding anniversary.

Congratulations on your celebration cruise! I'm sorry your are frustrated with HAL before the cruise begins, even to the point of saying it's the last time you'll book them, but fingers crossed for you for a nice cabin assignment and a cruise of good memories together. Maybe HAL will go up a notch in your opinion with a good vacation experience in at least a Signature suite.

I'm sure you'll be checking for your cabin number daily, and we'll all be checking here to see how it turns out! m--