Baltic Cruise Souvenirs

Things I have purchased...

Stockholm: a wooden Dalahorse

Tallinn: wool sweaters and hats, a linen tablecloth

Saint Petersburg: replica Faberge eggs, a picture book of the sights in Saint Petersburg (because those photos are better than anything I could ever take :)), and some crystal

Helsinki: handmade knitted items and crafts from the marketplace, plus the book, "Finnish Nightmares" (which could have just as easily been titled, "Canadian Nightmares").

The only souvenirs I bought were in Tallinn as Christmas gifts for friends and family. I got several handmade round trivets (hot plates) made of fragrant juniper wood. (The juniper smell is enhanced when a hot item is placed on the trivet.). Apparently Tallinn is known for their juniper handicrafts. The trivets were small, flat, lightweight and unique. I saw them in the couple of souvenir shops we went to, but I bought them at a stall on the Sweater Wall market for less than the stores charged. Two years ago, I paid 9 euros each for the trivets.

Tallin has nice shopping at reasonable prices at the pier. Wool, juniper, and linen are they're main focus. I actually bought a small wooden and wool sheep, and a felted wool hat. Dd bought a thick sweater.

I bought clogs in Stockholm with lingonberries painted on them, found in one of the many little stores in Gamla stan.

SPB has all the usual Russian items - eggs, nesting dolls, lacquer boxes, fake furry hats.

How did you get them home? I wouldn't mind buying some art in the Baltic countries.

The drawings are about half an A4 size each. The artist packed them in cardboard and I just kept them flat with other paper, a guide book to St Petersburg, etc as support. They travelled very, very well in the inner lid section of my reasonably solid carry on.

How did you get them home? I wouldn't mind buying some art in the Baltic countries.

We bought a somewhat larger picture from an artist in a craft mart in Durban, South Africa. He apparently was experienced dealing with tourists, because he had a small supply of appropriately-sized cardboard tubes. He rolled our picture into a tube and sealed it, and the picture made it home intact.

Thank you everyone for these ideas. Did anyone buy amber?

It's been years since we went, but in St. Petersburgh, at our request the Alla tour guide took us to two shops that sold gorgeous and reasonably priced amber. In fact, I was wearing one while attending a big craft show 2 years ago and at an amber jewelry booth, the vendor, who was busily waiting on others, saw it, stopped in his tracks and exclaimed, "Where did you get that? I love it!"

PS...I know I paid less than $50 for it.

The woolen items in Estonia are of very high quality and make great gifts. I purchased a Russian headdress for my granddaughter in St. Petersburg. Of course I had to get the matching blouse and dress. She was thrilled to receive it. I also make it a priority to get a Christmas ornament from each county.

Sue

It's been years since we went, but in St. Petersburgh, at our request the Alla tour guide took us to two shops that sold gorgeous and reasonably priced amber. In fact, I was wearing one while attending a big craft show 2 years ago and at an amber jewelry booth, the vendor, who was busily waiting on others, saw it, stopped in his tracks and exclaimed, "Where did you get that? I love it!"

PS...I know I paid less than $50 for it.

You purchased your amber in SPB? If so do you remember where?

Thanks

Thanks

Sadly, I don't as it was quite awhile ago. However, both were high-end type of shops and apparently government approved. I bet if you are taking a private tour and asked, they would know.

Will Baltic ports have a decent selection of polo shirts? I can wear business casual polo shirts to work, and would like to pick up a couple shirts with Baltic themes. I plan on sailing August-September of 2018, and I know these shirts can be seasonal.

Favorite souvenir : my kuksa cup ( careful , some are manufactured, some are hand made) Yes, it takes a few cups of coffee ( or tea) to break it in, but after that you have it forever and you choose one that fits your hand perfectly. https://ultimathule.fi/en/291-kuksa-cups/

Beautiful wool sweaters in Tallin ( still great condition after years of use)

Thanks

I bought an amber pendant while on a tour with SPB tours. It was on day 2 in Russia and was the last stop before returning to the ship. A small souvenir shop which had a great selection of amber pieces. It's a nice shape and size with various shades of amber in a Sterling silver setting. I have received many compliments on it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

We bought the usual nesting dolls, but we bought them in Tallinn as we felt the prices were better there. In St Petersburg, my DW admired a music box with a Russian church on it. It was selling for about $100 on our ship. We saw the exact same thing at one of the push cart vendors. We sort of snuck away from our tour for a few minutes and purchased the same music box for $25 after some haggling. We paid in US dollars and got US dollars as change.

Cheers

Len