Traffic from Mass to Manhattan Pier, Memorial Day Weekend.

borntoshop29

Hello All!

We are sailing out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Saturday May, 26th 2018 which is Memorial Day weekend. We have looked in to a few options of driving in the night before, taking the train in the day of and flying in the morning of. We are thinking of leaving Mass very early in the morning and driving to the pier the day we sail. Has anyone done this and how long did it take you? We are wondering how the traffic would be impacted by the holiday. We live right on the NH border.

Thank you!

Hello All!

We are sailing out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Saturday May, 26th 2018 which is Memorial Day weekend. We have looked in to a few options of driving in the night before, taking the train in the day of and flying in the morning of. We are thinking of leaving Mass very early in the morning and driving to the pier the day we sail. Has anyone done this and how long did it take you? We are wondering how the traffic would be impacted by the holiday. We live right on the NH border.

Thank you!

Where exactly in New Hampshire are you leaving from?

From the "New Hampshire border" - which is a wide area, anywhere from the Atlantic to New York , you should allow anywhere from five to eight hours - depending on how far you are from good roads. Then, if you believe in the possibility of flat tires or other auto (or traffic) problems, you should ad another couple of hours.

I would not consider a same-day drive to a cruise port myself.

We have made the trip from Boston's "Metrowest" area the Saturday of Memorial Day every year for the past 10 years or more.

We leave by 7AM, we're in midtown before 11AM.

We have a full tank before leaving, we eat before leaving, we use the bathroom before leaving, and it works nicely every time.

Pike to 84 to 15 to the Parkways, to the Saw Mill and down the West Side Highway

From the "New Hampshire border" - which is a wide area, anywhere from the Atlantic to New York , you should allow anywhere from five to eight hours - depending on how far you are from good roads. Then, if you believe in the possibility of flat tires or other auto (or traffic) problems, you should ad another couple of hours.

I would not consider a same-day drive to a cruise port myself.

the good folks of Vermont might have a slight issue with your "Atlantic to New York" part. ;)

I am one who wouldn't do this.

What happens if you have a mechanical issue?

If it was me I would arrive the day before to have some pad in case something goes wrong.

Keith

Agreed - I am not sure what the limit is - but any drive of much more than an hour allows the chance of some significant delay cropping up. Certainly, when you are talking about a couple of hundred miles and four hours or so, you are taking a risk. Yes, it is a small risk, but the larger the stakes (the hassle and cost of missing a sailing) the smaller must be the risk I would want to take.

If you don’t want to drive in the night before and save the hotel costs, I’d leave at 2 am...there will be minimal traffic, and you’d be there about 7am. You’ll have lots of time to account for errors, construction or traffic issues. And if you arrive early have a nice leisurely breakfast before boarding. Yes my profile says Central FL but I was born in MA, lived in North Jersey and have made that drive through CT/NY/NJ countless times. I agree that 84 to the parkways is best route unless there is major construction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! I am so sorry I am just getting back to my post. We are at the Pelham NH/Dracut Ma. line. I am making myself crazy trying to decide what to do. LOL We have narrowed it down to going in the night before and staying possibly in Stamford Ct. or leaving very early from home the day of. I am a big fan of going in the day before.

... We are at the Pelham NH/Dracut Ma. line ... a big fan of going in the day before.

Do a coin toss to decide, just kidding - sometimes, we all do things based on our gut feelings, listen to our intuition.

Why not book a 100% fully refundable hotel near/at Stamford, CT (or, even some place just off I-84 near/by the NY border) for next May now, as a marker or insurance, just in case ... weather forecast is good, roads free of holiday closures & constructions (should be) and you feel good doing that 4.5 to 5+ hour drive ... with 2 or more drivers taking turn on a near "midnight express" as I used to called it, in my much earlier, youthful days.

As you get closer & things don't look all that promising, for whatever reason, then, switch to plan B and hit the holiday weekend smacked & head-on that Friday ... wow, that won't be fun either. I don't need to tell you (been there & done it) but that Mass Pike will be a moving parking lot, stop-n-go and heavy with everybody else on the go, all on a mission. Check back here maybe 1 month or 2 weeks before your sailing to see if there's any last minute alert or update - Waze and Google Map for real-time traffic navigation are a mandatory companion to getting behind the wheels these days, bluebooth integrated to minimize distracted driving.

Case in point - a flat tire itself isn't a big deal even without those run-flat tire, unless it's loaded with passengers and luggage - take a while to get to the spare tire & rotate it to resume the drive, that's easily 60+ minutes on the side of a unlit highway with traffic zipping around the corner at high speed. Get unlucky with a double set of tires punctured and you can be disabled for 2 to 3+ hours for towing & finding replacement tires, etc.

Thank you all! I am so sorry I am just getting back to my post. We are at the Pelham NH/Dracut Ma. line. I am making myself crazy trying to decide what to do. LOL We have narrowed it down to going in the night before and staying possibly in Stamford Ct. or leaving very early from home the day of. I am a big fan of going in the day before.

You live close to me. Make a cancellable hotel reservation now so you have options next year. The La Quinta in Stamford won't break the bank and it's an easy on easy off of I95.

Now that they have removed the toll booths on the Mass Pike, the exit to I84 in Auburn is much improved without the huge backups it used to have to pay the toll.

Post back for detailed directions when you get closer to your sail date. If you stay in Stamford, you should cut over to I95 at Milford CT from the Merritt/ Wilbur Cross Parkway and from Stamford you should cut back over from I95 to the Hutchinson River Parkway at exit 21 Rye NY immediately after exit 2 in CT. This has a $6 toll that is worth every penny because you will have a cars only route to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and will avoid the hideous intersection of I95 and I87 plus the infamous Cross Bronx Expressway.

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for you suggestions. It was a very busy holiday season and I sorry I have not updated!

We have booked the Hampton Inn and Suites, Stamford. They were able to accommodate our party of 5! We are looking to get a head start by leaving at Noon on Friday the 25th of May. I am hoping we miss some traffic, but either way we are on vacation and that is still a good day!! :)

Thank you all for you suggestions. It was a very busy holiday season and I sorry I have not updated!

We have booked theHampton Inn and Suites, Stamford. They were able to accommodate our party of 5! We are looking to get a head start by leaving at Noon on Friday the 25th of May. I am hoping we miss some traffic, but either way we are on vacation and that is still a good day!! :)

Good choice. I like that hotel best of all the Stamford hotels we've stayed in.