Bringing Wine and Liquor on Board

BlindCreek

Good Day All,

I'm looking for some clarity about bringing wine or liquor on board the ship. I've read that we can bring on a bottle each at embarkation. Is this also true for liquor? We do like to check out the duty free shops on the islands for good deals on Scotch and sometimes wines. I am assuming it's not a problem bringing these purchases on board.

At last sailing it was 2 bottles of wine but liquor was held and returned to passengers at the end of the cruise. Of course its was Scotland and Ireland with daily tours of distilleries! We also found over the years that we were able to purchase wine, scotch, rum, etc. at home for about the same prices and not have to deal with airlines, customs etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

In wonder if they allow more than 2 bottles of wine at embarkation? Like most lines, they don't allow any hard liquor to be brought on board at any time but I am not crazy about their wine list and would prefer to bring my own wine each night and pay corkage. Anyone have experience in bringing more than 2 bottles aboard at sailing?

The last time we were on Windstar, it was supposed to be two bottles of wine per person. They said it was two bottles per person for the entire cruise, but we bought wine ashore and brought it on board at numerous stops, and it was never an issue.

Officially, it's two bottles of wine (up to 750ml) per cabin. In reality we've met people on board who brought scotch and rum in their luggage and did not have it confiscated. Apparently Windstar is lax in this area, or at least on our cruise they were.

Officially, it's two bottles of wine (up to 750ml) per cabin. In reality we've met people on board who brought scotch and rum in their luggage and did not have it confiscated. Apparently Windstar is lax in this area, or at least on our cruise they were.

From the Windstar web site:

Guests may bring aboard 2 bottles of wine or champagne for their enjoyment onboard. All additional alcohol, including those bottles purchased at ports of call along the cruise route, will be kept by the ship's purser and delivered to your room the last evening of the voyage. Guests may consume the outside beverages in the dining room, but a small corkage fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account.”

We interpreted “guests”to mean per person. YMMV

From the Windstar web site:

Guests may bring aboard 2 bottles of wine or champagne for their enjoyment onboard. All additional alcohol, including those bottles purchased at ports of call along the cruise route, will be kept by the ship's purser and delivered to your room the last evening of the voyage. Guests may consume the outside beverages in the dining room, but a small corkage fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account.”

We interpreted “guests”to mean per person. YMMV

Sorry, I was quoting the wrong web site. This appears to be accurate, from the Windstar site:

ALCOHOL ON BOARD POLICY

Passengers are allowed to bring aboard one (1) bottle of wine per person at embarkation and additional wine and beer purchased onshore during the Cruise, which can be consumed in public areas subject to the Ship’s prevailing corkage fee. Any hard alcohol purchased on shore during the Cruise and brought onboard must be placed in custody of crew for return to passengers on conclusion of the voyage.

Sorry, I was quoting the wrong web site. This appears to be accurate, from the Windstar site:

ALCOHOL ON BOARD POLICY

Passengers are allowed to bring aboard one (1) bottle of wine per person at embarkation and additional wine and beer purchased onshore during the Cruise, which can be consumed in public areas subject to the Ship’s prevailing corkage fee. Any hard alcohol purchased on shore during the Cruise and brought onboard must be placed in custody of crew for return to passengers on conclusion of the voyage.

That's what I was told by my TA. Windstar was very lax on our cruise though as others brought hard liquor and were pouring from small bottles into non-alc bevs through the day. That's what we will do next time.

Just make sure you pack it in your luggage and not in your carry on. Had 4 bottles in our carry-ons a few years ago on the Windstar out of Barbados. They wanted to take 2 out. Had to argue for 30 minutes with F&B manager but finally got them in. This would not have happened had we put them in our luggage.

Just make sure you pack it in your luggage and not in your carry on. Had 4 bottles in our carry-ons a few years ago on the Windstar out of Barbados. They wanted to take 2 out. Had to argue for 30 minutes with F&B manager but finally got them in. This would not have happened had we put them in our luggage.

Why not just follow the Windstar rules? You are probably spending several thousand dollars for the cruise. How much are you saving by trying to break the rules?

Why not just follow the Windstar rules? You are probably spending several thousand dollars for the cruise. How much are you saving by trying to break the rules?

Thank you Lobes1. I was wondering the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The last time we were on Windstar, it was supposed to be two bottles of wine per person. They said it was two bottles per person for the entire cruise, but we bought wine ashore and brought it on board at numerous stops, and it was never an issue.

There is no need for the negative comment. You were just talking earlier about bringing in extra wine from ports in your other post (against the rules), yet you pass judgement on someone else who brought a couple of extra bottles in their luggage. The two are no different.

We bought the full bev package, which was > $800 for the week including tips on our Windstar cruise (and made good use of it), but it certainly wasn't cheap. I wouldn't mind being a little creative next time myself.

There is no need for the negative comment. You were just talking earlier about bringing in extra wine from ports in your other post (against the rules), yet you pass judgement on someone else who brought a couple of extra bottles in their luggage. The two are no different.

Excuse me, but according to the WS web site additional bottles of wine may be brought aboard at intermediate stops:

ALCOHOL ON BOARD POLICY

Excuse me, but according to the WS web site additional bottles of wine may be brought aboard at intermediate stops:

ALCOHOL ON BOARD POLICY

You are correct, my TA seems to have neglected to mention this. In any case, if they allow you purchase additional wine in ports and bring it on board, it should not be a big deal to bring a couple extra with you on initial embarkation. Windstar certainly don't seem to mind too much, otherwise they would be removing it from luggage as do the likes of Carnival, RCI, etc.