Insects?

jaynel

Sort of a broad question- what islands are you going specifically? Generally I haven't had a huge issue with insects in many parts of the Caribbean if you stick to the towns and beaches but you might need something if you were headed on more specialized excursions say into the hills or forests. But my guess is you'll need more sunscreen than insect repellant.

The only time you need it is if you are taking an excursion that goes into the jungle or where there are lots of trees. It is not needed in town or on the beach in any Caribbean port, especially Cozumel or Costa Maya. The only place OP is traveling that it might be needed is Cap Cana, and it won't be needed there unless OP is going inland.

The ONLY time we noticed any insects was going thru the Panama Canal, and that was only when we were stopped in Lake Gatun...they weren't mosquitos...just flying nuisance bugs......

On beaches and in town, you won't have insect issues. If you're hiking in a rain forest, you might want it.

I've noticed more complaints about sand fleas, noseeums on the Western itineraries. It used to be 20 years or so ago, people would recommend Avon Skinsosoft as a repellent! These days, almost any spray containing DEET will keep you bug free on the beach and in the Rain Forest.;)