Surge Protector on Equinox

tawcat

Just an after thought. When we boarded on 11/6, our luggage except for one bag was delivered to the cabin. We were informed by our cabin steward that security had held the last bag. Had to go down to deck 2 to retrieve it. There was a note on the bag that said "extension cord." The security guy placed the bag on the scanner so I could see where it was, I opened the bag found the culprit cord and was told it was a fire hazard. They kept it and told me we could claim upon return to the port.

Funny as this surge protector has been on most of our cruises and this was the first time it was ever stopped.

So heads up, if you're planning on packing an extension/surge protector cord you may want to think twice.

I've read that an extension cord is allowed but not one that has a surge protector.

Extension cords are specifically not allowed:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/all-pre-cruise-faqs

For some reason surge protectors are not mentioned, but all of us that read CC know that they are a fire hazard and useless on ships anyway.

It would be nice if the cruise lines could all agree on items that are safety hazards, but no such luck. Even sister lines of the same parent company have different rules.

From our experience, "non-corded" "multiple" outlet plug in type devices are ok (or at least not caught/confiscated)...

I will caveat that by saying we don't actually check bags...only have a carry on...so maybe if we checked the bag our device would be flagged?

From our experience, "non-corded" "multiple" outlet plug in type devices are ok (or at least not caught/confiscated)...

I will caveat that by saying we don't actually check bags...only have a carry on...so maybe if we checked the bag our device would be flagged?

Maybe it’s just the cord that makes it obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As long as there is no SURGE protector, it's fine. Ship's don't "surge" the electric, so they don't allow them.

Celebrity forbids and confiscates all extension cords, regardless of whether they have a surge protector or not. Other lines allow extension cords and prohibit only those that have surge protectors (NCL has this policy, for instance).

The prohibition is rooted in your statement though, as surge protectors on a ship's electrical system present a fire danger and the US Coast Guard has issued a safety advisory about them.

But each line may enforce the rule differently. Celebrity is using an "abundance of caution" and not relying on the security personnel to correctly identify the difference between an extension cord and a surge protector.

In August on the Equinox we had a multi outlet power strip in one bag and a 15 ft extension cord for a CPAP machine in the other bag. The power strip did not have surge suppression, but I am not sure a typical security person could tell. Well, the power strip got through, but the extension cord was confiscated. Our room steward gave us a longer orange extension cord to use for the cruise. It was the same guage as our confiscated cord.

Extension cords are specifically not allowed:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/all-pre-cruise-faqs

For some reason surge protectors are not mentioned, but all of us that read CC know that they are a fire hazard and useless on ships anyway.

It would be nice if the cruise lines could all agree on items that are safety hazards, but no such luck. Even sister lines of the same parent company have different rules.

Even nicer if folks didn't bring so many electronics et al. that require multiple outlets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The issue with surge protectors on ships is complex (Chengkp has explained it in another blog) but the simple explanation is that electric systems (and especially the ground wire) work differently on ships. Ships do not use a ground, in the normal sense of the word,since this can lead to extensive corrosion of the hull (like I said, its complicated). Ships also do not use a neutral wire (like on land). A surge protector that is perfectly fine on land, can cause a fire on board cruise ships. Most of the lines have been trying to crack down on this issue by seizing surge protectors at embarkation. In addition, cabin stewards have been told to be on the look out for surge protector devices and warn off the users.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner