Carry On Luggage Quick Question....

Bo1953

This got me searching especially since the kids and grandkids wanted our Christmas list. So on Amazon I found exactly what I was thinking of.

https://www.amazon.com/Hynes-Eagle-Travel-Backpack-Approved/dp/B07434KKX7/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1511536029&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=traveling%2Bbackpack%2Bcarry%2Bon&th=1

I go the opposite way of most people. I have a Briggs and Riley carry on. It's not cheap, but they have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked, they don't care how it got broke, don't need a receipt, just send it in and get it replaced or repaired. Perhaps it's not indestructible, but with their warranty it's the same as. I like quality luggage, to me it's worth every penny.

I would never buy hard sided carry-on luggage...you want outside pockets and something that's a little squishable to get it into the overhead compartments.

You do want to be careful picking your carry on....some of the commuter/discount airline planes have very limited overhead space and a standard 20" hard/soft carry-on won't fit the overheads.

Agree. I use the LL Bean 16” “underseat” roller. It goes in the overhead compartment, and I have never had a problem fitting it on any plane feet first. The 20”’bags that many are mentioning will not fit on all planes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a TravelPro roll aboard that I have had for almost 30 years. I traveled 3 days a week when I bought it. It accommodates 2-3 sets of skirt/top, pants/top or dresses on hangers & they come out unwrinkled. In addition I can get 2 pr of shoes, undies. PJs, some shorts & tees in it. Now it gets used about once a month compared to 3 -4 times a month when I bought it.

Also had a Travel Pro rolling garment bag that lasted 20+ years. When it finally gave out from my constant overloading I found an identical one on eBay:D

The top of the Travel Pro line has held up amazingly well for us.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, to let you know that I Am going to try the Rimowa carry on line to see how it works for me.

Anyone else use this brand? If so, which line and how do you enjoy it?

Thank you all for your input, regardless.. bon voyage

Hello all,

I have searched the "General" boards and have not found a home for this question and wondered what X passengers use and/or prefer.

It is time for new carry on luggage and as I prefer hard sided luggage, I Am asking here on CC what others prefer and the brand... I have Delsey now which has served us well for over 12 years and it has been a real trooper alas, time to retire it...

TIA for your input and thoughts...

Samsonite ultra lite is great. Durable and light. We also prefer hard side. Best especially if raining

Hello all, to let you know that I Am going to try the Rimowa carry on line to see how it works for me.

Hi Bo;

Rimowa is my dream brand. someday my ship will come in (pun intended), but for today, we all use delsey hard sided spinners in various sizes along with the matching hard sided carry-ons. It is the "other" 2nd carry-on that will contain the pockets for water, keys, wallets, passports, etc..... and each family member has their own style. many pocketed camera bag, quilted cloth zippered tote, backpack. how exciting for you and hope you truly enjoy the process.

scanditaly

My wife has a Rimowa Hybrid(has outside zipper pocket) carry on. We both have 29"(about the same size as other brands 26") Rimowa Salsa Deluxe checked luggage. They have an amazingly easy roll. They do tend to crack though. That's our only disappointment.

Let us know how you like the Rimowa. I also only do hard sided luggage but carry a backpack as my personal item so the suitcase can go in the overhead and the backpack under the seat with my ipad, electronics, phone, etc. That way I don't miss the hard case not having an exterior pocket.

Hi Bo;

Rimowa is my dream brand. someday my ship will come in (pun intended), but for today, we all use delsey hard sided spinners in various sizes along with the matching hard sided carry-ons. It is the "other" 2nd carry-on that will contain the pockets for water, keys, wallets, passports, etc..... and each family member has their own style. many pocketed camera bag, quilted cloth zippered tote, backpack. how exciting for you and hope you truly enjoy the process.

scanditaly

s - LOL, I had to move a sailing as a trade off, so my ship sailed and I Am on the next one!

I really, really, really loved my Delsey, it was out of warranty, the wheels rotted away, the handle extension just decided it was not extending any longer... I could be heard coming through one terminal clear through another.

So it was time... and now is that time.

I Am so looking forward to it. I Am hoping this will be my last carry on for sometime.

bon voyage

Bo...I honestly thought you might update this post with a message you had received five assorted carry ons for Christmas from five different family members who knew you were looking to change!!

Hope it meets your needs!

This got me searching especially since the kids and grandkids wanted our Christmas list. So on Amazon I found exactly what I was thinking of.

https://www.amazon.com/Hynes-Eagle-Travel-Backpack-Approved/dp/B07434KKX7/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1511536029&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=traveling%2Bbackpack%2Bcarry%2Bon&th=1

OK, the kids got us this backpack for Christmas and we've already done a test packing. Dinner slacks and tops, underwear and socks, swimsuits, shaving kit, makeup bag, medications, kindles, passports, other cruise documentation and still have room. I put it on and took a walk for about a mile. Extremely comfortable.

I'm a big fan of the soft-sided luggage, it's the best thing since bottled beer. Hard-sided luggage always has the potential to get dented or cracked if when other luggage is piled on at an air port or ship. Yes, I understand that you were primarily asking about carry-on luggage but occasionally even carry-on luggage gets checked. There is also a difference in packing strategy that may limit the height of objects you can pack in the bag. Remember that hard sided luggage really divides the suitcase in half and it is then folded together when it is zipped. Everyone over packs occasionally and the zipper on the hard-sided luggage seems to get more of a load to keep it closed. The higher load increases the possibility that the back will pop open. Most soft-sided luggage also has the ability to expand for occasional larger loads. I'll never go back to hard-sided luggage.

Hello all,

I have searched the "General" boards and have not found a home for this question and wondered what X passengers use and/or prefer.

It is time for new carry on luggage and as I prefer hard sided luggage, I Am asking here on CC what others prefer and the brand... I have Delsey now which has served us well for over 12 years and it has been a real trooper alas, time to retire it...

Don’t like hard sided luggage for many reasons.

This is what we use:

https://www.briggs-riley.com/

And not expensive.

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise.

Bo...I honestly thought you might update this post with a message you had received five assorted carry ons for Christmas from five different family members who knew you were looking to change!!

Hope it meets your needs!

c - I got a kick out of this one... I wish. I think when they saw the prices they opted for items which will fit into the carry on! With none of the items costing more than $15/each. LOL

Unless you have one or two of them for me to try out???? ;)

bon voyage

I'm a big fan of the soft-sided luggage, it's the best thing since bottled beer. Hard-sided luggage always has the potential to get dented or cracked if when other luggage is piled on at an air port or ship. Yes, I understand that you were primarily asking about carry-on luggage but occasionally even carry-on luggage gets checked. There is also a difference in packing strategy that may limit the height of objects you can pack in the bag. Remember that hard sided luggage really divides the suitcase in half and it is then folded together when it is zipped. Everyone over packs occasionally and the zipper on the hard-sided luggage seems to get more of a load to keep it closed. The higher load increases the possibility that the back will pop open. Most soft-sided luggage also has the ability to expand for occasional larger loads. I'll never go back to hard-sided luggage.

b - I have had the soft sided many decades ago and never liked them at all... no matter how much I tried. I know it is a popular style, yet not for me.

I have checked my hard side carry on before (like when I forgot that 1.5L of rum could not be carried through TSA) without any problems, a few scratches here and there, but I was fine about it. No cracking either

I usually have at one suitcase in addition to the carry on, that is a 36" Delsey hard side and between the two I have enough room for everything I require.

Who knows, I may migrate back to soft side, not sure when yet though.

Thank you and bon voyage

Hello all,

Just saw this thread that has been going awhile. Hope you have found a solution Bo! But in case, my wife likes a small carry-on sized hard shell from Brookstone. Seen in an airport store, ordered online. Could easily be carried but we check it. I use a slightly larger Samsonite, also carry-on size but usually checked. Both are sturdy, reasonably lightweight, etc. One thing I much prefer about these two compared to the Rick Steve’s style mentioned above: the clamshell design is much more convenient to pack, especially if you need to plan for enroute stopovers, compared to the one-compartment Rick Steve’s style .

Stan

Sent from my iPad using Forums