Newbie question on how to unwrinkle packed clothes without high costs!

Gingergirl47

Because you likely can and will pack more items if usi ng the cubes, keep weight in mind. tthe suitcase could get very heavy and exceed weight for allowance for airlines, which resultts in an added expense.

JMO.

Of course, if you are not flying to the ship, that is not a factor.

This is SO true, especially if you're using anything larger than a 26 incher. DH ended up several pounds over the limit when he first packed for our last cruise- thank heaven we have a luggage scale at home. After editing and putting some of his heavier items in his carry on ( why do men's shoes weigh so much?:rolleyes:), we finally got it within limits.

If you read the specs in the link for the large folder, it says it will hold 15 items. But it will also fill half of a small suitcase! It's only really advantageous for those who prefer folding over rolling, like for collared dress shirts. Otherwise, IMO they're a space and weight hog.

Packing cubes are different. And more useful for rolled items- like tee shirts, underwear, socks, etc, where you can really cram them in and save space compared to just packing them loose. And they keep your stuff organized and only weigh a few ounces. A large packing cube would likely do the same thing, minus the piece of cardboard or plastic used to actually do the folding.

Thanks. I was thinking they'd allow me to pack more than my cubes do. I'm not as concerned with the wrinkles as I am cramming more into my luggage, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. I was thinking they'd allow me to pack more than my cubes do. I'm not as concerned with the wrinkles as I am cramming more into my luggage, lol.

Iprefer folding over rolling my clothes, I think the cubes do allow for packing mor e items in same space aND makes for easy unpack. I f you don't care to put your clothes in drawers used by who knows who and how clean they and their clothes were.,,,,,,,,, you can put some of the cubes right in the drawer directly out of the suitcase. and 'work form that the whole trip. no need to put your undies or what ever in an 'unprotected' drawer.

The trick is not to get wrinkled in the first place. Leave clothes on wire hangers, using no more than two items, cover with dry cleaning bags. Layer in suitcase one at a time. cloth will slip against the plastic

The Pack It product I mentioned previously does allow you to pack more, and reduce wrinkles.

For shirts, once you fold them, you can compress the stack with the folder. For me, it normally cuts the volume in at least half.

I think that one challenge is many people treat packing a suitcase like they do eating at the buffet.

They try to fill the suitcase to the brim, then squeeze even more in if the can. Take fewer items and don't try to squish them all in.

When you return home take note of the items that you did not use or really did not want. Leave them at home next time. It seems that the more we travel the less we take. Taking travel friendly clothing has eliminated (almost) any clothes steaming or pressing issues.

We don't use cubes, etc nor do we roll. I use a 20" eagle creek duffle roller board. DW uses a 21" Rick Steves carry on roller. One week or two months plus a cruise in between. Works for us but it is not for everyone.

Edited by iancal

I think that one challenge is many people treat packing a suitcase like they do eating at the buffet.

They try to fill the suitcase to the brim, then squeeze even more in if the can. Take fewer items and don't try to squish them all in.

When you return home take note of the items that you did not use or really did not want. Leave them at home next time. It seems that the more we travel the less we take. Taking travel friendly clothing has eliminated (almost) any clothes steaming or pressing issues.

We don't use cubes, etc nor do we roll. I use a 20" eagle creek duffle roller board. DW uses a 21" Rick Steves carry on roller. One week or two months plus a cruise in between. Works for us but it is not for everyone.

We once did a 4 day trip in New Orleans, immediately followed by a 7 day cruise with only carry on, so we do pretty well. I agree the more we travel the less we take.

I dont wear the same clothes again and again in a week or ten days at home and dont ' want to when i travel. I like tto have choi es . :)

I've never repeated an outfit on a cruise. And if I needed to, I'd get the outfit laundered.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been told by HAL and RC this one is fine and never had an issue. I am OCD about wrinkles and although my husband is a master packer, there will be a few wrinkles, so this is essential for me. It is convenient, fast and easy.

That makes no sense. On European cruises they allow kettles in the room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In over 20 cruises have never had to worry about wrinkles. Fold/pack your clothes to avoid wrinkles then you won't have to "unwrinkle" them. I use military rolls whenever possible to avoid wrinkles and save space. When I pack, the limiting factor isn't space. It is weight.

Enjoy.